AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspired, I fried up some spring onion, garlic & capsicum, added leftover spicy taco mince, cracked a couple of eggs on top & popped it under the grill with a sprinkle of cheese. I call it Mexiceggs.

manticle said:
Based on what happened to some mice and a study that showed 5:2 dieters lost approximately the same amount of weight over a six month period as some people on a different diet?

Haven't watched the video but fad dieting is a great business that plays on people's insecurities while doing nothing to help them in the long term. Intermittent fasting is nowhere near 'clinically proven" to do anything more than help lose weight in the short term - as will any restriction on overall calorie intake.

As a caveat, I'll add that whatever people choose to do shows the most important thing - a psychological committment to improving their health and that is always a good thing. Just be smart and be skeptical and examine/critique the evidence as you would with most other things. I don't believe there is particularly good evidence for 5:2 being more effective than good eating habits and good exercise habits (for which there is a lot of evidence).
What he explained in the video Manticle was he was looking for something that suited him, he said he didn't like exercise, he also said he couldn't do the 31/2 day fast and at the conclusion he said that it may not suit everybody but it was basically a diet without exercise which he wanted to avoid.

Up at 0600, actually 0530 with heat on my back, and ran best 3.6 k yet. At pool swimming and relaxing. It's pretty good you know and it's not 0730 yet. Soon, bad add slow cook curry from scratch goes on.

Liam_snorkel said:
Inspired, I fried up some spring onion, garlic & capsicum, added leftover spicy taco mince, cracked a couple of eggs on top & popped it under the grill with a sprinkle of cheese. I call it Mexiceggs.
Damn you. I have left over chilli con carne in the fridge which I was planning on freezing for later use, but now...

do ittt. The "spicy taco mince" was actually just my old man's chilli con carne recipe.. nothing like black beans & chilli for breakfast. I think today might be windy.

shaunous said:
Whoever says exercising isnt a good way to loose weight is a goose...
being the resident goose here and finding this a very pertinent thread I thought might chime in a bit here.

There was a time many people thought I was a lucky bloke. For 50 years I could eat and drink and much of whatever I wanted, no change to weight. I had a reverse problem, In fact through my teens and 20's I felt weak and scrawny, 6 ft 2 inches, 65kg, and no amount of food would cause any form of weight gain. Only in my 30's did I realise that my body would respond to weight training and I could build some muscle, but it fell off as fast as it was put on when I stopped the weight training routine.

Until one day when I sat down I felt some discomfort around the gut area. Arrghh, yes, I was getting a godamn gut. :excl: Seemed to happen the day I hit the big 50, almost suddenly. Now, whatever I do, I can't seem to shift it and I still cant get used to the "expansion" when I sit down. Its not too bad visually, but I dread the thought of a belly on a skinny bloke, I feel very self conscious that I look as though I am smuggling turtles under the front of my shirt. :rolleyes:

I suppose this is part of the normal ageing process. When younger I obviously had a mega metabolism, which is now clearly slowing down and I know that I have to adjust my intake to compensate. I've since cut sugar out completely and try to reduce starches but nothing seems to reverse it. I can kick start my metabolism through exercise but I find that only increases my appetite. I have to find a balance somewhere :( between eating the food I enjoy and the exercise I like to do.

I am not a fan of fad or crash diets as I know they are only temporary solutions. Damn hard to know what's specifically right for me just now.

I always eat after a workout. Normally a protein shake straight after while I'm still hot and sweaty and then a meal about 30 minutes later. I don't find it makes me want to eat more at all. Besides, if I'm hungry I just eat more salad or vegetable and problem solved!

thinking of trying one of those ketogenic diets, ie LCHF.

They seem great for weight loss, but what bout people with high cholesterol issues (like me) as well ?

I'm not sure. You really need to speak to your doctor about that. I don't see why there would be a problem though, but I'm practically retarded.

I don't recommend them. I put all the weight straight back on when I stopped because I didn't learn anything from it. Plus, you feel really bad for the first three day. Or days 2-4 or something, I can't remember. But it was horrible for three days and then you get used to it.

Lost 1 kg in the last few days. I've demolished the whole bottom floor of our house in about 10 days (4 large rooms) so there has been a lot of sweating. Enjoying getting some fitness back. Easing back into a couple of beers each day after working :p

Started 135
Now 128.5

Starting date 4 January

Weight 95.3
Current 88.6

4 meals and 3 protein shake a day
Lifting weights and don't be little bit of cardio (10 minutes max on the treadmill at a brisk walk)

Well I've finally gotten off my butt and started cycling around 20kms 5 days a week and swapped my normal lunch for a low gi veg soup.

Started 105kg
Goal 90kg
Currently 103kg

Its been a tough two weeks since last posting but weighed in this morning and wasn't to bad.

Last update - 88.6
This morning - 86.8

Work and life have been hectic and have been eating as clean as possible so im quite pleased

Latest posts

Back