AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being able to accept others point of view is never a good path to take. It shows one is either a prick or a religious idiot. No finger pointing, just a heads up and lets keep this thread semi nice, you bastards!

Liam - I was responding purely to the 5:2 diet idea and the wider idea of the fad diet industry as opposed to your perspective.

Cube: I don't think the thread has been especially nasty - this stuff is on topic and worthy of discussion. People take differing points of view sometimes. So far the discussion has been very civil.

Agree. Seems to be a hotly debated topic both here and in real life. Interesting to hear other views. Even if they are wrong ;)

StalkingWilbur said:
But all I'm reading is calorie counting. That's ridiculous. Wouldn't it be better to suggest a diet if that's what you're trying to promote?
I don't think your understanding Wilbs. Each person in this world needs a certain energy level to 'work' day to day.

If I'm working as a diesel mechanic through the week doing a fair bit of moving and sweating I may need 8000kj to function, if I only eat 7000kj worth of energy in my food, I'm going to loose weight. If I do 8-12hrs of hard cattle work tomorrow and need 13000kj, and then sink half a carton of beers and a carton of bunny cans not including the food after a hard days work totalling 2000kj, even though I feel absolutely fuked I'm putting on weight cause I've drank/eaten more then I needed to energy sake.

Yes you are getting fit and muscles, but an IT guy don't need muscles, and a skinny farmers muscles will outlast your big gym muscles. If you play sport well yes, your doing it the right way.

You may look sexy with your shirt off, but I'm married so I don't need a 6pack ;)

The amount of weight you have lost coming from 150kgs, well kudos to you man, well done, you'd be feeling a million bucks.

Each to there own.

Counting calories is great. You don't have to do it for ever, just until you get a handle on how much energy is in what.

I had a mate that used to think KFC burgers were healthy because they had lettuce. Once he educated himself as to the actual energy values of what he was eating he was able to manage it and lose weight. Ignorance was one of his biggest problems

I won't debate it anymore, I don't think it's right, but I should've stuck with my original post. Who am I to tell you it's wrong if you get the results you're after and it makes you feel better.

The reason I got agitated by it is because I don't think it's necessary and I don't think it's the healthiest way to do it. Then to read that exercising isn't a good way to lose weight irked me because people that are over weight normally suffer from things like insulin resistance, a poor cardiovascular system, digestive problems and a myriad of other pains and problems from not having a properly functioning body. Most of these can be helped by eating healthy and excruciating (autocorrect: was meant to say exercising but excruciating fits at times haha) and most if caught early can be completely reversed.

Asking someone to cut back to 600 calories a day, to me, seems a lot harder lifestyle to keep up rather than teaching someone about how to eat healthy and exercise. There's no way I could do that. I tried optifast. I lost 13kg then put 15kg back on. Optifast are super low calorie shakes that force the body to enter a state of Ketosis to burn the weight. The shakes have their place and at least are "nutritionally complete" with vitamins and minerals. The problem with these shakes is they don't teach you how to live a healthy lifestyle. Much the same as I don't understand how the 5:2 diet could. (Again, not attacking it just trying to eloquently put my point across now that I'm not being a sooky bitch).

I shouldn't have jumped in after I saw more comments about it. Just since my transformation I have had so many conversations about it and people always ask how I did it because nothing they try has worked. Only, they've never tried eating wholesome meals and exercising. I really don't think there's any secret, we all know what we can eat that's healthy. The only problem comes from the deceptive foods or when the only recipes you know that are healthy are boring or taste like shit. That's where some educating from a friend can help. I've been lucky to speak a dietician and my gym buddy who is a fitness model (keep your eyes out, she'll be on Chanel 7 soon on a piece on how strong is the new skinny!) and so I've got a grip on the deceptive foods and I know plenty of good recipes. I can't tell if who ever said they have a friend who thought KFC burgers were healthy is trolling or had retarded friends. We all know those foods aren't healthy!

I don't only go to the gym. I just do that because I'm on site. When I'm home I train BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing. Ride my bike. Go wakeboarding. Run around the lakes. Do anything. I'm a lot healthier than some of my friends who are 30kg lighter than me. I have more endurance and more functional strength. I never want to be a muscle bound meathead. But I think functional strength is important no matter who you are or what your chosen occupation is.

If anyone is ever struggling with their weight loss journey and wants to talk, or wants some food or exercise ideas, please feel free to message me. I promise to be more open minded than I was earlier today!

So it seems I did end up debating it haha. Please read that as a discussion on the subject and not me assuming I'm right and know what's best for everyone.

StalkingWilbur - great post man. I don't actually think anyone was disagreeing with anyone today. Everyone agrees that both diet and exercise are important but that overall it is a lifestyle change rather than too much of either on their own. All good from here man.

Congrats on the lifestyle change. Here's to more years and beers :)

Liam_snorkel said:
It isn't if you don't pay attention to how much of and what you eat.
Stop shit stirring Liam :)

This is of coarse true yes, but one can exercise longer and harder to counter-act this problem.

shaunous said:
Well after putting on more weight with all these social calls, i've gone backwards. But into it again now im back working.

Started 107
Credpt to 109.8
Now Today 107.7
Just walked passed the scales on a morning piss route.

107.2kg

Woot woot.
But in half an hour I'm putting a gigantic pork shoulder in my smoker for tonight, then Australia Day local horse races Sunday, we'll see what Monday brings.

Well done to all here who are doing something positive for their health, keep it up guys.

I believe counting calories is important as what constitutes those calories. If your kidneys are up to it then eat a high protein diet. The body consumes a lot more energy metabolising protein than carbs or fats. Protein also helps preserve precious muscle which is always at risk if losing weight. Plus it tastes better than lettuce :)

StalkingWilbur said:
I can't tell if who ever said they have a friend who thought KFC burgers were healthy is trolling or had retarded friends.
Lol, retarded friends it is. I'm not trolling the thread I started.

donburke said:
Well done to all here who are doing something positive for their health, keep it up guys.
I believe counting calories is important as what constitutes those calories. If your kidneys are up to it then eat a high protein diet. The body consumes a lot more energy metabolising protein than carbs or fats. Protein also helps preserve precious muscle which is always at risk if losing weight. Plus it tastes better than lettuce :)
True that. I ate eggs and steaks and counted calories the first time I lost weight, amongst eating other healthy stuff of coarse, but eggs and steak were the filler. Than I had a heap of time of work were I couldn't be active, so to pass boredom I ate food, and here I am on the topic, :p

I think what constitutes those calories is more important. If I eat an equal amount, calorie wise, of beer and nachos compared to steak and red wine, I know what's going to be better for me and not put the weight on.

Ps. Yes I could eat a steak that big and drink that much red wine, I do it regularly hahah.

Pps. Nachos are delicious, I haven't had them for a long time for obvious wanting to be healthy reasons, but now I'm craving them. Damn it. Post workout protein shake and porridge will have to suffice.

Latest posts

Back