AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll let me shrink my stomach for the first coupla days after sitting around bulk eating and drinking for the past 2-3 months and then make it easier. Done the same thing when i lost weight about 3 years ago. then i start eating 'normally' again after the first coupla weeks of shredding weight.

That 5 and 2 diet you apparently have 2 days of less than 200cals, i think anyway.

That's not the correct way to "shred" weight. My gym buddy is a fitness model and she doesn't even do that when she's days out from a competition.

Even if you get results, do you want to be healthy or skinny-fat? Just because you weigh less doesn't mean that you're healthier.

Thanks for that link Liam. I watched that doco last year and was looking for it online. Michael Mosely has a website and book now based on the 5:2 diet (StalkingWilbur - it's fasting for 2 days a week where you eat 1/4 of your standard calorie intake, around 600cal, and eat normally the other 5). I've been doing it for a while, not to lose weight but more for the health benefits associated with it. Still exercise daily and eat healthy on my days off. Haven't felt this healthy in ages.

I've read and seen it for years now how 'starving' yourself triggers survival functions in your body and has proved over and over to help in longer living and health benefits. I don't listen or believe in the fad diets, just FYI stalkingwilbur.

I do not condone starving yourself that's for sure, but the last time I lost weight I went from eating way to much to eating absolute **** all for a few days, then eased out to eating a normal healthy binge drinking diet. Kinda like cold turkey off the booze or smokes I suppose. Shrinks the stomach much as throwing one of them balloons in would do and fills you up quicker.

I can't see the difference in someone who eats normal and exercises a shitload to someone who eats very low calories/day and doesn't exercise one bit. It's still all energy in and energy out, as long as your getting all your needed nutrients, same same.

I haven't watched this, and maybe it's the same as the video or similar to the one you linked Liam, but this is about fasting. Mate emailed me it yesterday, haven't got around to watching it though.

*http://vimeo.com/m/54089463*

yeah it's the same one by the looks of things. Michael Mosley - eat, fast, live longer.

Well after putting on more weight with all these social calls, i've gone backwards. But into it again now im back working.

Started 107
Credpt to 109.8
Now Today 107.7

Starting. 99
Now. 97
Goal. 89
Loss. 2

I got back up to 100.5 over Xmas. I've had a week off the grog and it's made a huge difference. Apart from the calories that grog has, I'm drinking more water, and not looking for snacks at night. Will keep doing this short term (except oz day of course), with a long term goal of no grog mon to wed

Lost 4kg in a week and a half. Good to see some of that Christmas food and booze weight gone. Eating heaps of good healthy food, a few little naughties too and training hard!

I won't comment on the above mentioned diets, I have reservations about it, but who am I to argue with the way it makes you feel. If it works for you, do it.

Woohoo! Back under 80kgs this week.

20140124_073733.jpg

Based on what happened to some mice and a study that showed 5:2 dieters lost approximately the same amount of weight over a six month period as some people on a different diet?

Haven't watched the video but fad dieting is a great business that plays on people's insecurities while doing nothing to help them in the long term. Intermittent fasting is nowhere near 'clinically proven" to do anything more than help lose weight in the short term - as will any restriction on overall calorie intake.

As a caveat, I'll add that whatever people choose to do shows the most important thing - a psychological committment to improving their health and that is always a good thing. Just be smart and be skeptical and examine/critique the evidence as you would with most other things. I don't believe there is particularly good evidence for 5:2 being more effective than good eating habits and good exercise habits (for which there is a lot of evidence).

Manticle, clinically proven no, long term controlled trials are needed for that. You should watch the video. Have you seen any of Michael Mosley's other stuff? Pain Pus & Poison was particularly good.

From a SMH article about Michael Mosely.

-------------
Exercise is the best way to lose weight
"Exercise is a bad form of weight loss," Mosley says, pointing to research on compensatory eating and relaxing, where "basically you're knackered, so you sit down" for the rest of the day.
The problem with people believing that exercise is a good way to lose weight is that they get disenchanted and stop doing it, he explains.
This doesn't mean we shouldn't exercise.
According to Mosley, the real benefits are the effect exercise has on insulin sensitivity and aerobic fitness. "Which means a longer and healthier life," he says.
--------------

This is the guy your listening to for advice on how to live a healthy life?

I read the 5:2 diet book and watched it courtesy of the mother in law. For me it seems a way of educating people about calories in and what they really need. In realizing you can function without bulk food it teaches you about correct portion sizes. After I looked at it I didn't figure the fast days were what helped you lose weight, but what you learned from fasting. Applied to the other days of the week.

pretty much.

It's quite simple. If you want to lose weight, eat less food.

A balanced diet and a moderate amount of exercise will keep you fit an healthy, but exercise alone is a ridiculous way to lose weight. See how long you have to jog for to burn off that side of chips, or the slightly larger portion of spaghetti bolognese (because it tastes oh so good).

I find that after running, and I'm a ball of sweat and knackered, about an hour later I feel I want to go again. It's the opposite for me than that article states after exercise you are stuffed for the rest of the day, as it provides me with a zing in my step for the rest of the day. My last run was so good I miss the day off!

It does? I get up at 2:45AM to do a workout before a 5:30AM start of a 12 hour shift. If you fuel your body correctly and don't over-train you won't exhaust yourself to the point he's suggesting. Have a kale or protein shake within half an hour of finishing exercise. Problem solved.

Back