AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since i posted here. Think last time i was down to around 100kgs then fell off the wagon and worked my way back up to around the 110kg mark.
So on the 1st of July this year i took on dry July and The Man Shake. Replacing breakfast & lunch or dinner depending on what was on for the day. Eating a healthy lunch or dinner. As of this morning i am 90.4kg.
I feel healthy, energetic and happy all the time. I have had to buy all new clothes & thrown out/donated a lot. I still enjoy a beer, but i earn them. For some reason at the age of 33 i have decided i like running, something 12 months ago i would have scoffed at the idea of going for a run, but i now find myself running up to 25 kms a week. Jumping out of bed at 5:45am and heading off for a 5 km run. I have no vested interest in The Man Shake or The Man Challenge, but i have tried a few different diets, shakes & supplements, but nothing has seemed to work.
I think too my head is in the right place, i wanted to make a change and have stuck to my guns and grinded through and now i am busting my nut trying to crack it into the sub 90kg range! Somewhere i haven't been since i was probably about 16.

I lost a fair bit of weight, but found it and some extra. You are right though, it is amazing how exercising increases your motivation to exercise. But since stopping my exercise routine it has been hard to get the motivation to start up again and I am back to losing my breath when I put my socks on.

Are you still on the man shakes?

Cheers

bradsbrew said:
I lost a fair bit of weight, but found it and some extra. You are right though, it is amazing how exercising increases your motivation to exercise. But since stopping my exercise routine it has been hard to get the motivation to start up again and I am back to losing my breath when I put my socks on.

Are you still on the man shakes?

Cheers
Yeah i am still on them. I figure they are part of my routine now so i will just continue on them, try reach my goal of 85kg and eventually just have them for breakfast. Simple & easy.
Still have my poached eggs & bacon on a Sunday though! I think 3/4's of the battle to get off your butt and do something is in your head. I figure you either do or you don't.

I'm not overly heavy, only 78kg, but am really small as well. For the past 2 months I have really embraced training. It was spurred on because of a 4wd competition next year where I will be in and out of the car lugging winches cables up hills and running up rock hills. Really it's just been the kick in the guts I have needed to get fit. I have been talking about doing something since the start of the year (mainly to myself, where putting socks on or simply sitting on the ground and standing up was a struggle.

I now exercise during my lunch break 5 days a week and run about 5km twice a week (which is in itself big for me as I couldn't run across the street previously). Running is probably a bit of a stretch, it's more of a stumble/jog.

Overall I have found myself to have so much more energy already and everything is not as much of a struggle.

And if I can lose 10kg which is my aim, I'll be even happier!

Asha05 said:
! I think 3/4's of the battle to get off your butt and do something is in your head. I figure you either do or you don't.
Very true, whatever you want to achieve you have to get the most powerful organ in your body onside, once you get to the right frame of thinking you can do almost anything.
I believe Michael Mosley is still doing the 5-2 diet which seems pretty easy, and once you get into a routine it gets even easier, you don't have to give much up, (apart from the 2 part of the diet.)

Asha05 said:
Been a while since i posted here. Think last time i was down to around 100kgs then fell off the wagon and worked my way back up to around the 110kg mark.
So on the 1st of July this year i took on dry July and The Man Shake. Replacing breakfast & lunch or dinner depending on what was on for the day. Eating a healthy lunch or dinner. As of this morning i am 90.4kg.
I feel healthy, energetic and happy all the time. I have had to buy all new clothes & thrown out/donated a lot. I still enjoy a beer, but i earn them. For some reason at the age of 33 i have decided i like running, something 12 months ago i would have scoffed at the idea of going for a run, but i now find myself running up to 25 kms a week. Jumping out of bed at 5:45am and heading off for a 5 km run. I have no vested interest in The Man Shake or The Man Challenge, but i have tried a few different diets, shakes & supplements, but nothing has seemed to work.
I think too my head is in the right place, i wanted to make a change and have stuck to my guns and grinded through and now i am busting my nut trying to crack it into the sub 90kg range! Somewhere i haven't been since i was probably about 16.

That's a great result.

After the initial getting off your butt it's all about making it a regular part of your lifestyle. My wife and I got off our butts in October 2014, she lost about 30kg and I went from 96.5kg down to 72.5kg in May 2015. I purposely put on a couple of kg as I had overshot my goal of 74kg. We went from never really having run before (I had cycled quite a bot though) to being regular runners who compete in organised running events. We rarely get to run together as we have small children but alternate so each get to run every second day. Even so, having a running partner is a good motivator. The events are a good motivation to for increasing distance and improving times.

It's amazing how many people said to us "That's good - now you've lost the weight you can go back to normal". No, eating well and physical activity is normal now.

BTW, I didn't really change my beer drinking habits at all.

Head space has always been my biggest challenge, and it's gotten to the point where we are just going to just do it instead of constantly 'hoping to'. Am at 115kg now as opposed to the 93kg I got down to doing a 12 week challenge about 4 or 5 years ago, first step after Christmas (just being realistic as there's a case swap in there) will be simply changing eating habits back to what we were doing back then. Will then look to addressing the activity side of things.

Good luck mad pierre, it's good to release and have a crack. I hope you get to where you you want.

Gluttony gets me every time, i can't hold back from delicious food and drinks.

We had our 2nd child in December and I've been having two long necks every night pretty much since then.
I'm cutting back now and may even get to the pool for a swim before work to help drop the extra 15kg I've added over the last year or so. Maybe.

Have cut back on the piss significantly since Christmas (was pretty crook for about 3 weeks which helped), but even since then have maintained the cutback and have dropped 5 kg. Am interested/hoping to sign up for the Man Challenge bizzo, it does help me having a directed program for these things. I now find out that Brewsvegas falls right in the middle of the bloody challenge. :blink: Conflicted!

While we were on holidays and I was eating a pie, the Mrs said to me - you could try to make healthy choices. I blew that off. I like buying pies from every bakery that presents itself on traveling, it's the right thing to do.

At some point, once I could own that thought legitimately for myself, I started making healthy choices.

My complexion is much better, I graze all day which is appealing and the weight has come off a bit too!

Maybe if you're looking for a thought to get you on the right track - think about making healthy choices, whatever they are to you.

Back