AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
pretty much.

It's quite simple. If you want to lose weight, eat less food.

A balanced diet and a moderate amount of exercise will keep you fit an healthy, but exercise alone is a ridiculous way to lose weight. See how long you have to jog for to burn off that side of chips, or the slightly larger portion of spaghetti bolognese (because it tastes oh so good).
This.

If you don't eat right, you will find it hard to lose weight and keep it off. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. Exercise might make you fit, but not necessarily healthy.

Yeah, but eat healthy and exercise and you'll get fit and lose weight. It's really not complicated.

But all I'm reading is calorie counting. That's ridiculous. Wouldn't it be better to suggest a diet if that's what you're trying to promote?

Is "balanced" not enough? I've suggested the CSIRO total wellbeing book/diet previously in this thread, it's a good resource for healthy recipes & appropriate calorie intake.

We obviously have different definitions of balanced.

I started my journey to get healthy at 150kg. Through healthy eating and exercise I got down to 115 I'll get back there soon enough without counting calories. That seems like a really boring, shitty life style to me.

Counting calories and restricting myself to 600 calories for a couple of days.

I'd rather be fit, healthy and strong. Not skinny fat.

are we even talking about intermittent fasting any more? I wasn't. You got upset about a Michael Mosley quote regarding exercise being an inappropriate method for weight loss (note weight loss, not overall health).

StalkingWilbur said:
It does? I get up at 2:45AM to do a workout before a 5:30AM start of a 12 hour shift. If you fuel your body correctly and don't over-train you won't exhaust yourself to the point he's suggesting. Have a kale or protein shake within half an hour of finishing exercise. Problem solved.
One reason not to exersize. Waking up in the pitch black over 2.5 hours before work.

Said it on the first page, i'll say it again.

Calorie in and Calorie Out / Energy In and Energy Out.

As long as your taking in less calories, or burning by exersize the excess your taking in over your recommended daily energy needs, you will loose weight, keeping in mind to get your recommended nutrients.
If your a lazy vegan or a steak slaughtering push bike 'person', do what works for you.

Lets just agree to disagree. But I do have to say, I have come to love my 3am gym sessions.

I didn't mean to attack anyone. But there's so much bullshit out there that gets sold to people who are in the position I was and it just doesn't help them. It's frustrating and some of the ideas are dangerous at best.

cool. The idea that one can exercise their way to weight loss without properly addressing their diet (or by cutting out one thing or another from it) is also potentially dangerous. By the sound of it you've sorted out your diet and are exercising your way to fitness which is great. I don't think anyone was trying to tell you that you're doing the wrong thing.

Thank god that's over. Now back on track.

89.4 kg this morning.

Of course you need to eat properly as well. Who suggested eating donuts and doing bicep curls was a smart way to weight loss?

Wow sorry I got involved in that... Mosely is just another way to educate people about portion control and healthy eating in my opinion. Same as csiro.
Life is all about balance, it's amazing how many of you guy's seem to be saying the same thing in a slightly different way and getting stroppy about it.
I love this thread by the way, it's generally very positive and I am a fan of hearing of your achievements, so keep em coming.

Liam_snorkel said:
Manticle, clinically proven no, long term controlled trials are needed for that.
I mentioned clinically proven due to the fact that claims have been made that 5:2 is 'clinically proven' - a claim based on the study i referred to earlier.

Anyway I should exit from this discussion. As I mentioned in the first place, being conscious of what you eat and your health is a great thing and people work out what works for them. Nothing wrong with approaching with an open but skeptical mind, especially when people are trying to sell you something.

Nobody is trying to sell things. Watch the video. Check out Mosley's other stuff (not food related) it's good.

I am yes. The diet makes no sense to me beyond people end up eating less overall (already more than enough evidence to suggest that's a necessary part of weight loss).

However I'm suggesting others be skeptical at least (of any new fad diet, not just this one).

Eat less, eat better, exercise properly. It's a proven formula yet people hope time and time again that something will come along and make it easier. It won't. Meanwhile books, pills and shitty exercise machines all make someone else richer from your money.

manticle said:
Eat less, eat better, exercise properly. It's a proven formula yet people hope time and time again that something will come along and make it easier. It won't. Meanwhile books, pills and shitty exercise machines all make someone else richer from your money.
That is exactly what I have been saying.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back