AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, but I did eat a shitload of pork as well. I'll be getting a few of his quails and will cook myself, loved em.

91.1 after a nice 3.5 K run this morning.

Funny thing is I am drinking the same amount, actually more because of honey whisky is so yummy, and eating the same which is likely average health wise. Just running and some bike riding.

Mind you I have always been able to get weight off by exercising but by god I can get it back on with out exercising.

I have in a few weeks over doubled my running to walking times with the app I am using. Now at 2.30 minutes running / 1 minute walking. Dosen't sound much 2.30 minutes running but it is over 3.5 K and I feel I can go to 3 minutes next run!

Onwards and upwards.

I'm using easy5k. Same thing I believe. I just found this app first. Also use cycle tracker. That one has more info plus a nice gps map of your route. I run both at the same time. Once I do 5 k without the app I'll delete it and just use cycle tracker for all joking and cycling.

The c25k program, whichever app you choose to use, was a pivotal point in my journey to weight loss and fitness. When I started I couldn't finish week 1 day 1. Now I can run 2.4km in under 12 minutes, it jog on the treadmill for an hour straight. I really can not recommend it highly enough.

Moad said:
Great thread and efforts so far...

I know there is a lot of negative publicity about it but I highly recommend crossfit.

I went from doing an ironman triathlon in may to doing nothing for 4 months. Put on a few kegs.

I started crossfit 4 months ago and while I haven't lost weight im the leanest, strongest and fittest I've ever been.

I think most people here will fall under the first category and crossfit will certainly burn energy.

How do you know someone does crossfit? All they talk about is crossfit...
I'm a participant in the crossfit community and by far the most efficient way to train. With crossfit you need to want it. It's very addictive and I've gotten the best results since joining. Exact same weight just more toned. Every workout can be scaled and every work out is so different and involves the whole body.

A combo of crossfit and a paleo diet will see rapid improvement in health and quick weight loss. I wouldnt recommend going heavy though, just focus on technique and get that right first.

I really don't get crossfit. I love working out, but the whole format just doesn't make sense to me. I get my gym time in (6 days a week when I'm away at work, less when I'm home) and then get my aggressive, competitive fix by doing jujitsu/boxing/muay Thai.

Like I said though, I really think finding something high intensity that you enjoy is the key to keeping up a fitness regime.

StalkingWilbur said:
I really don't get crossfit. I love working out, but the whole format just doesn't make sense to me. I get my gym time in (6 days a week when I'm away at work, less when I'm home) and then get my aggressive, competitive fix by doing jujitsu/boxing/muay Thai. Like I said though, I really think finding something high intensity that you enjoy is the key to keeping up a fitness regime.
I get crossfit, but it's definitely not for me. There are very few people I've met within that community that I could tolerate. Pushing to extreme levels is often a goal, rhabdomyolysis somehow becomes something to brag about, and what you get is a bunch of people locked in to striving for mediocrity in a plethora of fitness categories. Although, many CrossFitters have graduated to specializing in Olympic lifting. Lots of impressive folks learned through a CF affiliate, which is nice to see that something is coming of people outside of breaking themselves repeatedly.

You also have people like Kelley Starrett within that community, his teachings are invaluable.

One will hear stuff like "your workout is our warm up" bandied around, and mascots like Pukey the Clown are born. The narcissism is strong there, and I personally cannot stand it. As was mentioned somewhere else in this thread, there is no singular/cookie cutter way to achieve ones goals. CF tends to preach otherwise, and nothing comes close to backing up their lofty claims.

Paleo, I don't even want to get started on Paleo .. there is too much zealotry under that umbrella. It works like anything else, but long term effects also should be looked into .. as many people regret long term adherence to it. Many of the gurus who write books on this like to cherry pick data, and spoon feed us information that was filtered through their own confirmation bias. Either that, or they are disingenuous, and just want to sell books. The evidence keeps piling up on how strict adherence to this diet for long durations is hugely stupid.

Any variation of a ketogenic diet is a more sane solution, as they have been studied for decades now, and will forever continue to be due to their need in the medical field.

I tend to gravitate to folks like Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and Martin Berkhan. Minus a few character flaws in the latter two, their information is reasonable and well applied to any formal lab study you will ever find. Not just the ones that support their claims. Berkhan can be a bit dogmatic at times, but the other two guys are straight shooters with no chance of ever selling out.

I totally understand how some people treat THEIR exercise and diet routine like a religion. That their routine is the one and only way and all others will go to a burny firey ouch ouch place.

I call religion complete bullshit.

shaunous said:
4am, long rant. Someone's drunk :p
ha, it was noon where I'm from! I'm even wordier when I'm drunk.

Yeah, it was a bit of a rant. I gracefully walked away from the fitness industry some time ago, no regrets. Our bodies are awesome at keeping us round and weak, both physically and psychologically speaking. Marketers exploit this with doodads and magic pills. Also, business models for gyms are constructed around giving people what their "believies" want. Problem with that, most people are filled with so much misinformation, yet will seemingly fight to the death to hold onto poorly conveyed anecdotes learned from some "big dude who bench pressed trucks" they once knew at the gym. Or, they get indoctrinated by a CrossFit affiliate .. :D

Ugh, it's extremely frustrating to educate people who think they know something when they do not. Globo gym caters to the mindset, and they thrive as a result.

I'm just so done with people, it's a losing battle. Perhaps one day I will get certifications to teach children, nip all of the b/s in the bud. That would be very fulfilling for me.

This article is a perfect example of what gyms have become ... wat?

http://elitedaily.com/sports/planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym

I have one of these in my neighborhood. The gym across the street that I trained at had to mimic their business model to compete. I left, built a gym in my spare room .. never looked back. My gf is also employed at Rodale Inc(Men's Health), so I get in their energy center for free as well.

I used to have a blog, and it's amazing how many paleotards will come to troll in the comments section. Just got tired of fighting, I signed up to help people .. not shoo off people who hold myopic views.

133 > 130 :)

Starting to make some progress. With all the mangoes about I've been on the smoothies with a bit of yoghurt, ice and water for lunch. Not drinking much beer either atm.

Nice work Logman!

I've cleanded the diet up a bit since the Xmas binge, but still not back on the exercise trail. Disappointed to see I'm back up to 121kg this morning after getting to 119kg from 123.5kg fairly easily. Wake up call received, back on the exercise and stricter on the diet.

Hmmm. started at 101 and after a month at exactly 100. Probably not the best time of year to be doing the weight loss thing but hopefully now that we're back to routine (no more silly season lunches/dinners etc) it will drop off faster.

Well done to everyone who is taking some action,,,I have just read through this thread and found it inspiring as its coming from peers and I can relate to many of your stories.

Im 6' 5" and dont know what I weigh, but I suspect its within a few kgs either side of 120. Ive always been solid and at my leanest and fittest was around 95 (early 20's, triathlons and surfclub)...Following that period I had a decade where I didnt exercise, and ate/drank what I wanted , but my weight stayed unchanged at around 107....then came my 30's and my first desk job...Im now 39 and my weight has steadily increased to my current size...I have a target weight of 107, as this is a weight which felt good for me...but I love beer and carbs and eating and drinking and dont really enjoy exercise....but I could eat a whole lot healther than I do and find ways to incorporate more exercise into my daily routine...walking, take the stairs etc. Can anyone recommend a set of scales?....I dont really trust them as with size 15 feet I usually find that a small shift in foot positon on the scale would result in a variating of 5+ kg on the display, hence I dont even own any scales. but Im keen to set some goals and need to be able to measure my performance if Im going to remain motivated to stick at it. Good luck and congratulations to all of you!

I've been using the withings body analyser. Its pricey but syncs over wifi to your account for easy tracking and integration with other fitness apps along with measureing BMI and body fat%. I have size 13 feet and its no issue.

If that isnt your cup of tea, the scales at the gym are always good. I've found picking a weigh in day once a week gives you something to work towards rather than weighing in each day which for me became counter productive. If the scales are at they gym, its also a good motivation to actually get out of bed and attend.

edit: more words

Left for the states on the 16th Dec weighing in at 92.7kg. Weighed in this morning and 93.4kg.

I've got to be honest, I'm disappointed in myself I didn't put on more weight through over eating and copious drinking... which did happen.

It's got me questioning my regular diet.

At least it should be a little easier to get down to 85 or so.

Just jumped on the scales: 106kg.
Not bad, considering I haven't been calorie counting or doing more than 2 quick jogs a week since last time I weighed myself in April (was 108kg).

Now 111kg :) Cause: 3 weeks of living every day like a Saturday. Back on the wagon!

Latest posts

Back