AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good weigh in this morning. Down to 103.2kg. Also ran 3.5 kms non stop last thursday night. Never been able to do that previous, due to smoking and motivation issues.
But was aiming to do 4 laps of oval and ended up doing 8.

Nice to see this thread as I've just started a 'get back into shape' plan (at the same time as getting back into home brewing :lol: ) . My goal is to get back down to about 82kg which was my weight when my daughter was born (circa '96). About three years ago I got into a sponsored challenge program offered by a local private trainer and went from 109kg down to 93kg in 12 weeks and there was still plenty of extra kg still obviously sitting there.

Not long after that a job loss at the end of a hellish 4 years at same job followed less than a week later by a serious arm injury that sat me out for 6 months sent me into a spiral that included truckloads of chocolate and pepsi max and beer in a dark room. Now on the way back out nd looking to get fit and healthy again, plus at my current job I allowed myself to get talked into doing Stampede in August without finding out what exactly it was :blink: there is hopefully sufficieint motivation to gte back on track, am currently sitting at 106kg. The same trainer gives me mates rates at his gym - $6 a week - for use of the facilities so there is no excuse not to be there at least every second day.

My previous exerience was that 70% of the solution was in the kitchen, and I am currently working out that aspect of it from the eating plan sheets I previously used with my mate. For me this is the most difficult aspect as self motivation has never been a strong point for me and heavy foods have always been my most loved. The hardest part is having to do it by myself as the other half is not interested in working together on this one. At work those of us on the team doing Stampede have set ourselves to do at least 100 push ups and 100 squats over the period of a shift so I am not entirely alone in aspects of this and I can feel my cardio coming back surprisingly quickly.

I applaud anyone else doing this stuff here as it can take a lot to get something like this embedded in our at times sedentary lifestyles.

Although I don't really need to lose weight (the Mrs family - who's Italian - keeps telling me to eat more), I am looking at improving my fitness for sport this year as I did next-to-nothing over summer and I was struggling a fair bit during our first game of the season on the weekend.

This is a fairly short and simple exercise routine (using a stationary bike) that my mate swears by and has lost a fair bit of weight himself by doing this once or twice a day. Convenient being able to do it in front of the TV as well which is where we have our bike and treadmill set up at home.

I'm looking at trying it out for a month and see how I go. It's a lot easier knowing you (may) only need to spend 15min in the morning and/or evening for some decent fitness.

Not sure if anyone else has used this, or something similar, but thought I'd share it for those of you who may not be motivated to leave the house or spend >30min exercising as I often am..

Hey sponge, hiit like that works very well. I do it often, when i don't have a broken knee cap that is haha. I'll bring some bdg slurry to grants big brew day.

Ok back on topic. I normally sit around 76-78kg, however after being in a splint for 5 weeks due to a broken knee cap, I weighed myself yesterday. 72.9, Jesus bloody Christ. I don't suggest breaking your knee cap to drop the kg's though haha.

I find hiit similar to above to be very good excercise for stripping body fat. I don't do it for 30mins though. I go 2 1/2 mins super slow, just ticking the pedals over, then 30 second sprint, with as much resistance as I can. You know you've gone hard enough when you're absolutely rat shit at the end of the 30 second sprint. So, one cycle is 3 mins total. I usually just do 15-18mins, so 5-6 cycles, that's it. Twice a week is plenty I find. If you can do it for a few weeks in a row, you'll be able to drop down the rest time. Aerobic fitness goes up to, so great for other sports. I used this ( and obviously cutting out crap food ) to go from my usual 80-83kg, to 76-78. Though at present I'm much lighter due to injury.

Twice a week? Not too bad indeed.. My mate might just be real keen with the daily routine he does.

I've normally been more of an endurance person and did more long distance running and swimming then hiit but that was also when I didn't have full-time work to worry about (and lived with my parents who used to have a pool). Hiit sounds a lot more of my style (also from being time-poor) and will probably be better for my sports fitness since it's more stop-start sprinting then jogging for an hour.

It's also less time spent excercising for more results. More time to come home and brew beer hehe

Food/eating is definately the hardest thing to get on top of. I have been using the Myfitnesspal app which is great, keeps track of your calories, excercise and goals. Ive found i have become quite concious of what i eat and what i don't eat/drink. I went camping on the weekend and usually it would be beer all day and crap food. I had about 10 beers for the whole 3 days and found i was going for walks exploring the area rather than sitting there doing sweet FA. And also only ate and Breakfast, lunch and dinner times.

Asha05 said:
Another good weigh in this morning. Down to 103.2kg. Also ran 3.5 kms non stop last thursday night. Never been able to do that previous, due to smoking and motivation issues.
But was aiming to do 4 laps of oval and ended up doing 8.
Nice job. 3.5 K non stop is a really good crack. What times to you do that in or do you track your average speed?

Asha05 said:
Food/eating is definately the hardest thing to get on top of. I have been using the Myfitnesspal app which is great, keeps track of your calories, excercise and goals. Ive found i have become quite concious of what i eat and what i don't eat/drink. I went camping on the weekend and usually it would be beer all day and crap food. I had about 10 beers for the whole 3 days and found i was going for walks exploring the area rather than sitting there doing sweet FA. And also only ate and Breakfast, lunch and dinner times.
Agree. I am finding myself at a sort of crossroads. My weight loss has tapered off and now sit, still, high 86KG. I think I will either have to run more or drink/eat less. I'm already clocking average 50KM a month so might bump that to 60 a month and see how that goes!

Currently running 5K every time I go running and now average 28m30s for the 5K and it's coming down slowly.

Cube, have you tried weights?? They're really good for losing body fat. I'm not talking stupid gym hero stuff, just some general weight lifting.

Yeah done weights a fair bit in the past. Had a bench press etc and it was great. Build up muscle really fast. Might get back into it but need the time and room as gyms are not my scene.

Cube said:
Nice job. 3.5 K non stop is a really good crack. What times to you do that in or do you track your average speed?
Wasn't timing myself, was just counting laps. Will time myself next time and have something to aim for each time.

Asha05 said:
Wasn't timing myself, was just counting laps. Will time myself next time and have something to aim for each time.
I find timing via iPhone id great. Self motivating and you can set goals. I have my app set up to report every .5 K giving me , average speed, time and of course distance in .5 K increments. It's good to get immediate feedback as you run. Music also helps whilst running.

Cube said:
Yeah done weights a fair bit in the past. Had a bench press etc and it was great. Build up muscle really fast. Might get back into it but need the time and room as gyms are not my scene.
I'm not crazy about it but it seems to work good for me, in conjunction with the hiit.

Goddam shin splints killing me now. Right leg aches like a ******* at about 3.5 k in a run. I'm hoping it's just my beautiful flat feet combined with running on the road. Got some insoles today at $50.00 a pair. Fit well and lets hope it's better.

Goddam better not be an injury I had about 15 years ago coming back to haunt me. Me, Hydraulics, my leg, squashed on the shin to the size of my bone. Limped for weeks after that one.

Cube said:
Goddam shin splints killing me now. Right leg aches like a ******* at about 3.5 k in a run. I'm hoping it's just my beautiful flat feet combined with running on the road. Got some insoles today at $50.00 a pair.
Just going to throw this out there. I have run for fun all my life, still put in 2 or 3 runs a week, never had shin splints anytime, except when running in Reebok running shoes. My mum worked at reebok and would often send my a free pair, on three separate occasions over a 5 year span, I got shin splints from running in those shoes, which cleared up as soon as I went back to my nukes or sauconys.

Not saying it will work for you, but if your getting splints from the same shoe, maybe give another brand a try? I have no reliable reason as to why I can't run in reeboks, it just seems we don't get on.

Cube said:
Agree. I am finding myself at a sort of crossroads. My weight loss has tapered off and now sit, still, high 86KG. I think I will either have to run more or drink/eat less. I'm already clocking average 50KM a month so might bump that to 60 a month and see how that goes!

Currently running 5K every time I go running and now average 28m30s for the 5K and it's coming down slowly.
Dude, you are a rocket! I'm currently running 5k between 29 to 30 min, 3 times a week and have scheduled 5k "fun" runs every couple of months to give me a target to work towards. Hoping to crack 25min for local Age fun run in Melbourne in July, but that's going to require a little more structured training than I'm used to.

Cube said:
Goddam shin splints killing me now. Right leg aches like a ******* at about 3.5 k in a run. I'm hoping it's just my beautiful flat feet combined with running on the road. Got some insoles today at $50.00 a pair. Fit well and lets hope it's better.

Goddam better not be an injury I had about 15 years ago coming back to haunt me. Me, Hydraulics, my leg, squashed on the shin to the size of my bone. Limped for weeks after that one.
I had problems with shin splints a few years ago now. As a new, I ran far too much one morning after drinking too much coffee and could barely walk for the next week!

I also ponied up for a pair of fancy insoles for one of my pairs of running shoes. These days, I don't have a problem with shin splints, despite only running on concrete, so I'm happy about that.

I used to get shin splints - partially fixed it by making sure I do proper stretches before running, then put the nail in the coffin by getting a pair of joggers which don't have a very thick heel. Like the blokes above I run 5km in about 29mins (not bad for 106kg haha). Only twice a week thought, should probably go for a run on weekends to earn beers.

Best thing I ever did was go and get fitted properly. Not like at the chain stored. An independent where they measure your foot properly, ask about your fitness activities, your aspirations and about any injuries. Then they put you on a treadmill and watch you and record you and give you feed back on your gait and if you're turning or leaning to a side etc. Then based on all the above information give you a few different shoes to try.

Latest posts

Back