AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Balanced diet or not. There is no changing the fact that if you consume more energy then your body uses, you will put on weight. Doesnt matter if you eat 3000kJ of salads, veges and meats, and you only use 2000kJ of that, you will put on weight.

Not necessarily. Some people will just do larger turds. You're assuming that 100% of the energy consumed (eaten) is converted in the gut, it isn't. Food generally stays in the gut for the same amount of time (per volume) - but some peoples gut flora is less efficient at breaking down starches etc into sugars, meaning that those people, even if they eat calorie dense foods, don't harvest all of the excess energy.
Unfortunately for people who are obese and have been eating calorie dense foods for a long time, their gut flora is more likely to be more efficient..

Liam_snorkel said:
Not necessarily. Some people will just do larger turds. You're assuming that 100% of the energy consumed (eaten) is converted in the gut, it isn't. Food generally stays in the gut for the same amount of time (per volume) - but some peoples gut flora is less efficient at breaking down starches etc into sugars, meaning that those people, even if they eat calorie dense foods, don't harvest all of the excess energy.
Unfortunately for people who are obese and have been eating calorie dense foods for a long time, their gut flora is more likely to be more efficient..
Yeah definitely, but for the vast majority I'd say it is effective.

Needed inspiration to step up my running. After breaking my ankle wakeboarding I have struggled to get back into it properly. I've done some short unorganized HIIT sessions and done a few longer 30min and 5km runs, but the thought of long steady state running really bored me today. Saw this on a treadmill on the gym and decided to give it a go.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399028427.311304.jpg

Challenge accepted!

Got into the 13th minute and just couldn't get enough air into me to keep going.

Got something to work towards. Feeling pumped!

Wilkensone said:
Care to elaborate why Asics?
In my opinion best athletic shoes you can get. Same with Mizuno & Saucony. Had Nikes, not worth a pinch of s@#t. Sore feet/knees. Yes they look good/cool. But so soft no support, if you pick up one of their shoes you can twist the thing and bend it over on itself, what do you reckon that does to your feet while running?

Well went for a 5 K run this morning to try out the new insoles. Springy little suckers. Anyway, even with shin splints still sore to the touch pre running right leg, it did not ache much during running so obviously I had gummy feet causing the splints and or shitty shoes.

A new issue, which I am sure will correct itself soon, is the right foot aches during running now. Just above the ankle dead centre front. I guess new muscles in the foot are being used due to the corrected foot position.

All in all a great result and I am pleased about it even though it feels like I have just started running again (on the right foot only)....

I am no longer looking for support on my running shoe as I have moved away from heel strike running. Ever since then my knees and quads have loved me . I use a much flatter running shoe, much smaller stride and land with my weight above my foot . I have recently stopped using my knee supports and started running longer distances with very little muscle problems the next day. So soft cushioning is not what I look for.

Cube said:
Well went for a 5 K run this morning to try out the new insoles. Springy little suckers. Anyway, even with shin splints still sore to the touch pre running right leg, it did not ache much during running so obviously I had gummy feet causing the splints and or shitty shoes.

A new issue, which I am sure will correct itself soon, is the right foot aches during running now. Just above the ankle dead centre front. I guess new muscles in the foot are being used due to the corrected foot position.

All in all a great result and I am pleased about it even though it feels like I have just started running again (on the right foot only)....
What a few hours does. In the afternoon of above I was prepping the push bike to take the 3 year old for a ride up the road to see the cows grazing and pop. Same muscle in the lower back goes. Flat out for saturday afternoon and until now treating with continued heat and anti ibuprofen. Work calls so suck it up and get on with it. Running is out for a bit until next week however Saturday is my goal.

Getting old is never cool but this back thing had been a curse since 20.

That sucks mate. My lower back is temperamental (doesn't sound as crook as yours though) but I recently found some stretches which really help.

Cube said:
What a few hours does. In the afternoon of above I was prepping the push bike to take the 3 year old for a ride up the road to see the cows grazing and pop. Same muscle in the lower back goes. Flat out for saturday afternoon and until now treating with continued heat and anti ibuprofen. Work calls so suck it up and get on with it. Running is out for a bit until next week however Saturday is my goal.

Getting old is never cool but this back thing had been a curse since 20.
Find a good chiro mate, I have a bulged disc in lower back. Tried Physio, myotherapy and neurosurgeon wanted to open me up.
Found the chiro i still go to 18 months ago and haven't had any pain since. Back playing baseball, running and working. I only go once every 3 weeks now and am confident in it. The hard part was getting the mind set that i could go back to doing the things i love. Baseball especially, played since i was 6.

Asha05 said:
Find a good chiro mate, I have a bulged disc in lower back. Tried Physio, myotherapy and neurosurgeon wanted to open me up.
Found the chiro i still go to 18 months ago and haven't had any pain since. Back playing baseball, running and working. I only go once every 3 weeks now and am confident in it. The hard part was getting the mind set that i could go back to doing the things i love. Baseball especially, played since i was 6.
Cheers for that. I am going to have to look into this as my disc is the same as yours by the sounds of it. That spongy stuff comes out and tickles the nerves. I'm so sick of 20+ years of this pain and going out of wack every 2 years like clock work......

Cube said:
Cheers for that. I am going to have to look into this as my disc is the same as yours by the sounds of it. That spongy stuff comes out and tickles the nerves. I'm so sick of 20+ years of this pain and going out of wack every 2 years like clock work.....
Mine hadn't split but was touching the nerve and diverting the pain down my sciatic nerve. I had never felt so much pain. A grown man crying trying to go to sleep...And pain killers did nothing. Physio & myotherapy maybe worked for 2-3 days then it came back. And there was no-way at 30 years old i was having back surgery. So after 3 chiropractors i found the one i have been going to. Pain free, and he is a top bloke. Explains everything to you, why this is hurting and what is causing it and how he is going to fix it. I recommend him to everyone.

I've been on Prednisone for Psoriatic Arthritis and although the arthritis has settled, I've put on about 5k. They are weaning me of the Pred. so I'm back on the diet track.

Here's my new idea: my Nickles and Dimes diet.

I'm going on a 1200 Kcal per day diet, which is ok for an over 60. I always have a big bowl of loose change on the counter.

I bought a new copy of Alan Boroushek's Calorie Counter book, went through all the foods I normally eat and made a list with calories next to it : e.g. egg 80, mandarine 40 etc etc.

I have a small cup, and pay myself exactly 120 cents per day in five and ten cent coins that go into the cup. If I were on a 1500 kcal diet I'd pay myself 150.

Each day I buy food from myself. Edit: the sheet is set out like a menu / price list. A 10 cent coin buys 100 kcal, a 5 cent coin buys 50 kcal. Apart from dairy the food is basically "Paleo" style, meat, fish, fruit, veg.

As well as the listed foods there's a free list that consists of broc, kale, zucchini, garlic etc - most of the green veg, which are unlimited.

I'm also going alcohol free for a while, will report. If it works I might write a diet book, every other cnt seems to be doing so.

Also there's a rule that any coins left in the cup roll over so I can have a "savings account" on the side to buy goodies like an extra steak further down the track. So far I'm 15 cents ahead and quite full after dinner.

B)

Edit: and a good powerwalk every day of course now that my knee works.

That's an interesting idea. Don't know if it would be enough for me calorie wise, but sounds very healthy!

I know people have commented on not wanting to exercise because it makes them hungrier and leads them to over eating.

I normally have a protein shake straight after a workout and then a meal 30-45 minutes after that.

Now I'm having one off these bad boys after every workout and it keeps you really full!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1399723086.914961.jpg

2 bananas
2 handfuls of baby spinach or kale
scoop of protein powder
1/2 scoop of psyllium husk
1/2 scoop of LSA (Linseed, sunflower seeds and almond or something haha)
1/2 scoop of powdered coconut (much cheaper than coconut water)
Handful of ice
300mL of water

It seriously tastes really good. Has everything your body needs to recover and keeps your hunger in check.

Well here's what 1200 calories looks like.

It really surprised me because I was expecting to be hungry but spent a long long time chomping, as opposed to slipping a pie or burger down my neck and it felt like I'd actually eaten two times as much food.

Breakfast, two egg mushroom omelette with tomato, both fried in ghee (see note) and an eighth of a large rocky.

1200 cal a.jpg

Lunch: 200g home made greek yoghurt diluted with water, as in the Turkish Ayran drink, and mixed with a tablespoon of psyllum husk, a manderine and a banana.

1200 cal b.jpg

Dins: 200g Scotch Fillet, dotted with some sour cream and a shake of Worcester, baby potatoes fried in ghee and da greens.

1200 cal 3.jpg

As it happens I didn't quite get to 1200, and have some ghee and some points in reserve for tomorrow. Here's what 20g of ghee daily allowance looks like, good value.

1200 cal 4.jpg

Happy dieting dudes

Could murder a pint :unsure:

Bribie G said:
As it happens I didn't quite get to 1200, and have some ghee and some points in reserve for tomorrow. Here's what 20g of ghee daily allowance looks like, good value.

attachicon.gif
1200 cal 4.jpg

Happy dieting dudes

Could murder a pint :unsure:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is ghee? Is it a better alternative to normal oliveoils?

ghee

I make my own in 3 kg lots in a slow cooker, from Woolies unsalted (New Zealand grass fed) butter

Fallen off the wagon a bit...Chest infection, ear infection (super man-flu). Havent been for a run for 2 weeks, but still have baseball training thursday night & play on Saturdays. Start fresh on Monday after my 31st birthday. Plan to be under 100kgs by the end of july!

Went for a run this morning. First since 8th May due to my back injury. I have to say I either felt fresh or the really cold morning crisp air made it easier compared to the summer mornings when I started running. I don't recall it being this cold on my last run.

The new shoe insoles again helped with shin splits. I did not feel any pain in the shins during running so I cannot recommend them enough to others. I did get pain in the same place right foot due to the new foot position however I am expecting this to strengthen soon enough.

All in all a good start and my weight has been a gain to 88.1 since my 2 weeks off. That's about .65 kg gain a week LOL, dammit!

Latest posts

Back