AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hutchy we probably can really only use one/my system at my house. My backyard / Deck isnt huge and with about 20-30 blokes stading round drinking it will be hard pressed to get another system in. Maybe right down the backyard but def not on the deck. Welcome to do "back2back" brews on mine, probably could squeeze out 200L's if we wanted.

Just updated the Brew Day wiki to fix the HTML formatting again. Not sure why this occurs?

Also, added a section for glassware. If anybody can help out in that regard, let us know.

Also, added a section for glassware. If anybody can help out in that regard, let us know.

Plasitc party cups anyone?

Also on the food front i might try and wrangle SWMBO todo a BIIIIG roast potato salad. :beerbang: We all know salad only works with 'the boys' if its laden with fat and carbohydrates. :lol:

I'd only feel comfortable with salad if it had bacon in it.

:icon_offtopic: How can potato salad be deemed a "salad"? It usually consists of potoato, bacon, mayonaise, salt, pepper.

How is this any different, other than the cooking method and temperature, than cooked potato chips dipped in mayonaise and bacon, with salt and pepper? Not that I'm complaining, and I'll probably be first in line for a big helping of potato "salad" on the day, but just cause something's cold and contains vegetables, why do we call it a salad

</end rant>

I consider pancetta and prosciutto to be in the "awesome" subset of the greater bacon family :)
I think thats a given. ;) SWMBO usually adds crispy fried pancetta or prosciutto to it.

Currently carbing up my keg for the day so should be there early along with my swaps, im still looking at a 6pm arrival.

All i ask is that there is some beer left to drink im going to need it.

How can potato salad be deemed a "salad"? It usually consists of potoato, bacon, mayonaise, salt, pepper.
How is this any different, other than the cooking method and temperature, than cooked potato chips dipped in mayonaise and bacon, with salt and pepper? Not that I'm complaining, and I'll probably be first in line for a big helping of potato "salad" on the day, but just cause something's cold and contains vegetables, why do we call it a salad
</end rant>

I know, I know, just eat it! I have the same feelings for pasta salad except pasta salad is like eating jellied noodles with coleslaw. I'd just prefer a good slaw, omit the pasta. Hmm maybe i could do a southern style 'slaw from this american bbq book i got for my bday? "All good things that go with the pig!" :beerbang:

Usually our potato 'salad' has spring onion or marinated french schallots with rocket or some other leafy green. I'll just be omitting the leafy green for the barbarians.

I consider pancetta and prosciutto to be in the "awesome" subset of the greater bacon family :)

Prost! Prost!

On a side note, i have updated the food and slants on offer page. If anyone has something of interest to swap me (something special like 1469) i'll be doing a mass slanting tonight if i have the chance and i need to redo all of my cultures old cultures. I had a 12 month old 3068 that i slanted before i went overseas which looked dead but produced the creamiest slant i have ever seen. Cant wait to fire it on a weizen someday soon. Damn i love slants! :wub:

On a side note, i have updated the food and slants on offer page. If anyone has something of interest to swap me (something special like 1469) i'll be doing a mass slanting tonight if i have the chance and i need to redo all of my cultures old cultures. I had a 12 month old 3068 that i slanted before i went overseas which looked dead but produced the creamiest slant i have ever seen. Cant wait to fire it on a weizen someday soon. Damn i love slants! :wub:
I've got some 1882 Thames Valley II in an Oatmeal Stout as we speak, but I doubt it will be finished in time.

Suppose I could crop some krausen (pitched it Mon night, so it's pretty active atm), but it would be a first-time effort, so not confident of my processes.

Suppose I could crop some krausen (pitched it Mon night, so it's pretty active atm), but it would be a first-time effort, so not confident of my processes.

Thats why i have noted i would like a slant only. :lol: I dont want to get some slurry, use it, and then tip 23L of fermented beer down the drain as its picked something up along the way/airborne inside the bottle/flask. I wouldnt swap slurry/krausen myself just because of that risk. But thanks for the offer WB. ;)

have to have a chat to you, 4*, about slants. I did stacks of em in microbiology class at uni and was wondering what I could use for home use.. uni were really tight on "asceptic transfer"

I can bring enough glasses.....not a hope in hell i'm paying for a glass :D

Rook

Thats why i have noted i would like a slant only. :lol: I dont want to get some slurry, use it, and then tip 23L of fermented beer down the drain as its picked something up along the way/airborne inside the bottle/flask. I wouldnt swap slurry/krausen myself just because of that risk. But thanks for the offer WB. ;)
Slant snob! :D

have to have a chat to you, 4*, about slants. I did stacks of em in microbiology class at uni and was wondering what I could use for home use.. uni were really tight on "asceptic transfer"

Pretty simple, get yourself an innoculation loop, some vials and rubbing alcohol and away you go. You can get it pretty cheap from proscitech and it pays itself off pretty quickly of you are brewing often enough with different strains. I do all of my slanting next to the stove with the closest burners on.

I also have some papper towel sprayed with rubbing alcohol for 'resting the loop' if needed and flame it when required. Im not OTT with the sterilstion side of things but work quickly and cleany as i can whilst slanting to try to reduce the risk of transfer. So far i havnt had a dodgy slant yet so things are looking good with my process.

Pretty simple, get yourself an innoculation loop, some vials and rubbing alcohol and away you go. You can get it pretty cheap from proscitech and it pays itself off pretty quickly of you are brewing often enough with different strains. I do all of my slanting next to the stove with the closest burners on.

I also have some papper towel sprayed with rubbing alcohol for 'resting the loop' if needed and flame it when required. Im not OTT with the sterilstion side of things but work quickly and cleany as i can whilst slanting to try to reduce the risk of transfer. So far i havnt had a dodgy slant yet so things are looking good with my process.
Yeah cool. Flaming everything FTW!

What do you use for a medium? Do you make up agar? Or do you suspend in culture?

What do you use for a medium? Do you make up agar? Or do you suspend in culture?

Agar, I think its 1.5% agar and 5% DME

e.g. 1L water, 50g DME, 15g agar and a pinch of Ca.

Considering im boiling the media for 15 mins i'll usually start the water @ 1.2L to allow for boil off to get the correct nutrient concentration.

Back