Ahb Articles: Australias Biggest Brew Day 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!

Katie, by the look of your spelling in the post above, your Dry August isn't going so well :)

Great to see that we are all keen on this becoming a yearly event and I know Katie is thrilled that the money raised has exceeded expectations already.

I especially like the idea of being able to donate to our charity of choice or have I already said that? :p

Katie, I picked up my new Visa card from the bank this arvo (did I tell everyone that my ABBD week from hell ended with my wallet being stolen?) so am now good for doing internet transfers of funds. I'm only going to donate a small amount this year but next year I'll be fired up if I am sure we run things my way :D

...And if I don't spend a grand on brewing gear and if my wallet doesn't get stolen and if I haven't already given money to someone else and...

Excuses, excuses, excuses!

Bring on next year!

LOL!

Katie, by the look of your spelling in the post above, your Dry August isn't going so well :)

Great to see that we are all keen on this becoming a yearly event and I know Katie is thrilled that the money raised has exceeded expectations already.

I especially like the idea of being able to donate to our charity of choice or have I already said that? :p

Katie, I picked up my new Visa card from the bank this arvo (did I tell everyone that my ABBD week from hell ended with my wallet being stolen?) so am now good for doing internet transfers of funds. I'm only going to donate a small amount this year but next year I'll be fired up if I am sure we run things my way :D

...And if I don't spend a grand on brewing gear and if my wallet doesn't get stolen and if I haven't already given money to someone else and...

Excuses, excuses, excuses!

Bring on next year!

This is a beer forum not a spell check forum.... Yeah didnt last long on the dry front. Beer anyhow LOL!

The problem with individual charities is the monitoring. Can you imagine GB setting up his own Everyday hero page LOL! Anyhow Eric and I have already set the next date for the biggest brew day I just have to talk to him again about it as I cant remember the date.

Cheers PP it wasnt a great week for you was it. But lessons dont leave your car open with your wallet under the seat... drrrrrr!

I missed out this year but will be in next years, should try and have it the same time as the Big Brew Day, then we could big note ourselves in the States.

I missed out this year but will be in next years, should try and have it the same time as the Big Brew Day, then we could big note ourselves in the States.

More money then litres this year....

bigbrewday_002.jpg

bigbrewday_004.jpg

bigbrewday_009.jpg

chiller spray

chiller_013.jpg

As good as an idea as that is, I think it is a lot easier to have maybe just 1 charity. I think an idea we could throw around is maybe changing the charity each year, this way it could be voted on as to which charity for each year. Any thoughts?

I know Winkle suggested having at the same time as the Big Brew Day, and whilst there are a lot of people who get involved in that, and I have in the past, but this is for Aussie brewers and I think we should have our own day, and lets not forget that we are also rasing money for charity, whereas the BBD in America doesn't. The fact that we are also doing this for charity means we could big note ourselves even more so than the Americans.

Obviously just my 2c worth, but I think this is something that Katie and Chappo ran with and we should make it our own, not just a tag along with the US BBD.

:icon_cheers:

As good as an idea as that is, I think it is a lot easier to have maybe just 1 charity. I think an idea we could throw around is maybe changing the charity each year, this way it could be voted on as to which charity for each year. Any thoughts?

I know Winkle suggested having at the same time as the Big Brew Day, and whilst there are a lot of people who get involved in that, and I have in the past, but this is for Aussie brewers and I think we should have our own day, and lets not forget that we are also rasing money for charity, whereas the BBD in America doesn't. The fact that we are also doing this for charity means we could big note ourselves even more so than the Americans.

Obviously just my 2c worth, but I think this is something that Katie and Chappo ran with and we should make it our own, not just a tag along with the US BBD.

:icon_cheers:

I like the idea for a POLL/VOTE for the charity as indvidual charities would be hard to monitor. And also keeping the charities within Australia would be great.

I remember you said something about the date now. I never even knew there was a big brew day in the states. I thought I had a original idea!

There are still a few people that have not forwarded to the charities Im thinking the sites close of at the end of this month.

Yeah i did mention that, and I think that is why some people didn't want to get involved. But this is OUR day guys, not something to jump on a bandwagon. Lets do this for ourselves!

I have to say that i did notice that only 33 or so people have donated, yet there where just over 50 who said they would get involved, so please if you haven't donated then do it as soon as you can. It is for charity and for great causes.

edit: was going to but didn't

Though how is indvidual charities going to be monitered? Any ideas?

Easy as. Most people will donate online and so can post their receipt as a pic. Just have to include "AHB," somewhere. Anyone who doesn't donate over the net can scan their receipt or just get another AHBer to vouch for them.

This will certainly raise more money as people will have more passion about the things they care about and will also be far more competitive.

Also, no one charity is going to give us publicity but a newspaper might be very interested in a bunch of brewers who battle it out each year to raise the most amount of money for their favourite cause.

This is just my opinion but lucky for you guys, I am always right :D.

Spot!

Easy as. Most people will donate online and so can post their receipt as a pic. Just have to include "AHB," somewhere. Anyone who doesn't donate over the net can scan their receipt or just get another AHBer to vouch for them.

This will certainly raise more money as people will have more passion about the things they care about and will also be far more competitive.

Also, no one charity is going to give us publicity but a newspaper might be very interested in a bunch of brewers who battle it out each year to raise the most amount of money for their favourite cause.

This is just my opinion but lucky for you guys, I am always right :D.

Spot!

Are you putting your hand up to monitor the individual charities PP?

Also what do you think about keeping the charites with Australia?

A newspaper would of being interesting in this year also the same concept is there. I just didnt get it out there quick enough. Though Eric and I will work on that next year alot earlier.

Dont get me wrong I dont dislke your idea its just maintaining it. Also $1800.00 to one charity looks better then $50.00 to one charity. If we work together the impact is bigger!

Are you putting your hand up to monitor the individual charities PP?

I'd happily do the above.

If it is restricted to Australia then count me out. Plenty of people suffering unspeakable stuff elsewhere.

As I said before, "$10,000 raised for charity," looks a lot better than "$3.000 raised for Charity 'X.' "

See? I am right again :).

If it is restricted to Australia then count me out. Plenty of people suffering unspeakable stuff elsewhere.

As I said before, "$10,000 raised for charity," looks a lot better than "$3.000 raised for Charity 'X.' "

We can talk about it, see what others think. But I thinks its best to keep it in Australia I have my reasons. Im going home now! Katie storms out.

Because there was so much trouble getting some charities to accept beer related donations the above could be problematic.

Maybe a compromise is to put together a list and those willing to be involved can vote? Take the top 5 (arbitrary number - could be 6, could be 4) approach them and see who's interested. I would also be interested in extending beyond Australia but I was more than happy with the two organisations chosen and have no complaints.

You seem to think that having an unfocused money raising effort would ensure that more money would be raised, though I really don't think that will be the case. All money raising efforts, such as the city to bay marathon, have a focus for the money raising, making it feel more like there's a point to it, rather than "we're raising money for the amorphous blob that calls itself 'charity'".

I really think it would be a great idea to choose the charities its easier to manage and to keep legitimate not say people are dishonest just so it can be monitored. Collecting money for organisations you need to be careful, if the media does get involved we need to be able to tell them how the money is dispersed.

I think it is important to keep the funds in Australia! I have major problems with raising money for charities outside due to: For example Africa: does not help their economy yes the money might school the child and a build a well but once the child has grown and educated and go out into the workforce to find there is no economy due to lazy/corrup govt who RELY ON AID. Not sure if you are aware since Bob Geldolf did Live Aid Africa economy has declined even more? Not blaming him he did a fantastic job making the WORLD aware of what was happening but has not helped the economy. So I say let the developed world stop sponsoring rebels and guerillas. I think the problems of Africa are cased by rich western elites - not African people themselves. They are simply trapped in the prison created for them.

Dont get me wrong I care very much for what goes on in other countries I just think it needs to be done on a different level then CHARITY work more like a development thing!

IMO it really does need to be a single charity. We tried the multiple charity thing once and it is difficult to monitor and you don't get a lot more biccies for the extra effort put in.

This years BBD was good, except the "localisation" of one charity. Not knocking the decision to choose RSPCA WA, but IMO the charity needs to be at least Australia wide.

IMO it really does need to be a single charity. We tried the multiple charity thing once and it is difficult to monitor and you don't get a lot more biccies for the extra effort put in.

This years BBD was good, except the "localisation" of one charity. Not knocking the decision to choose RSPCA WA, but IMO the charity needs to be at least Australia wide.

Leigh I agree totally with you that was a mistake on my behalf, I didnt intentially do it! Tho I do worry about those QLDrs with animals :D

When I first approached them I did not relise they were WA alone, then got to deep in and then in the end it didnt matter anyhow! But that is how it went.

Back