Ahb Articles: Australias Biggest Brew Day 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it should all go to the kitten wing of the RSPCA every year :)

AUSTRALIA'S Biggest Brewday for CHARITY.. It would be shame to decide not to be involved in such a charity event that somebody organised (Katie, Chappo, CHEERS!), because you thought there was a 'better' charity you'd rather donate to. For a five dollar entry for the day and 364 other days in the year it's not really worth getting your undies in a twist over..

AUSTRALIA'S Biggest Brewday for CHARITY.. It would be shame to decide not to be involved in such a charity event that somebody organised (Katie, Chappo, CHEERS!), because you thought there was a 'better' charity you'd rather donate to. For a five dollar entry for the day and 364 other days in the year it's not really worth getting your undies in a twist over..
You tell em Lloydie ! ;)
GB

Exactly, this is about raising money to help someone (or some animals) there are plenty of good charities to support (i support some) the brewday idea is about raising money for a COMMON goal. We need to pick one and supprt Australias biggest brew day, if people choose not to become part of ABBD and want top support there own charity, then I think thats cool too.

People went out of there way, set up a great event, which was supported fantastically. I for one think it should continue in the same vane.

the charities mentioned above are all good candidates, lets let the organisers get on with the hard work

Paul

Hows about a charity that supports people and/or thier families affected by alchohol abuse in Australia! For the people that say these types of charities will not accept a donation, it could be made as an anonamous donation...if we want recognition for donating its not really charity is it!!
Just a thought.

Brad

Hows about a charity that supports people and/or thier families affected by alchohol abuse in Australia! For the people that say these types of charities will not accept a donation, it could be made as an anonamous donation...if we want recognition for donating its not really charity is it!!
Just a thought.

Brad

Thanks Brad.

It would be quite fitting, after all we're not nesssarily a bunch of piss heads cos we BREW. Problem is we couldn't really keep the charity secret and expect people to get involved. Even if we did up til the end and they found out, it would put them in the rather awkward position of either returning the donation or keeping it knowing it was against their charter.
Everyday Hero is so far the only practical way to process and monitor the donations, which needs the beneficiary's name (and hence permission) to set up.

Cheers,
Lloydie

I place myself in the 'let the organisers organise it' camp. I'm all for having input if it's simple but one hundred conflicting opinions will make life difficult for some.

I will voice my support for animal charities though - if you are going two then one animal and one human puts a smile on my face.

Unless it's the 'let's raise money for John Howard's 70th birthday bash in the bahamas' charity though I'll probably be in regardless.

Just a thought.

Brad

Most charities will except a blind donation, but in our case I want it to be monitored, Every Day Hero (who Pistol Patch pointed me towards) is the best way of doing things, they have a list of charities if there not on the board I can approach the Foundation and then they can register. I like your idea Brad but really it sounds like something the Chasers would do lets brew as much beer as we can and donate to people affected by alchohol! Im not saying the media will get involved but if it did we have our community to protect, etc Dane and everybody that looks after the forum so we need to make it as safe as we can.

Manticle if you have a animal foundation in mind put it on that list I put up.

I was happy with the RSPCA (national branch). I'll have a look at some others too though.

Well agreeing to a poll would have been nice to see but it looks as though that is not to be.

Katie, I finally brought my credit card inside tonight and have thrown in a donation. Haven't had time to work out the grain etc so just throw in whatever else you reckon under your name.

Andrew, I am very cross with you :). You say I over-complicate matters but I spent a fair bit of concentrated time helping to get this thing into one thread, one article and one easy to follow format. The end result might look simple but the time it took me and the communications involved were of some substance.

But, I know where you are coming from. Sometimes I will question laboriously a hundred things and the end result often turns out futile or obvious. And sometimes it turns into something great that is very simple in hindsight but this is purely the end result of the former. So a bit of an unfair comment especially in the context of this thread and I am going to get InCider to spank you hard at the QLD Swap!

I'm happy to do the ABBD thing again next year but I hope I don't get ostracised if I choose to just donate the entry fee and choose to donate anything above this to something I am passionate about. If every AHBer just donated say a $10 entry fee then that would be great.

So, stop picking on people that suggest alternatives :p . We do have our place and we do so with good heart.

Spot,
Patch

P.S. Where is my award for the longest, most expensive and complicated brew day???? And, am I meant to put my figures in the spreadsheet or can you do that for me Katie?

just so you know im all for whatever charity. Although I do like kittens, by last comment was tongue in cheek. I wasn't bashing the organizers, though it seems like some took it that way. :)

Well agreeing to a poll would have been nice to see but it looks as though that is not to be.

Katie, I finally brought my credit card inside tonight and have thrown in a donation. Haven't had time to work out the grain etc so just throw in whatever else you reckon under your name.

Andrew, I am very cross with you :). You say I over-complicate matters but I spent a fair bit of concentrated time helping to get this thing into one thread, one article and one easy to follow format. The end result might look simple but the time it took me and the communications involved were of some substance.

But, I know where you are coming from. Sometimes I will question laboriously a hundred things and the end result often turns out futile or obvious. And sometimes it turns into something great that is very simple in hindsight but this is purely the end result of the former. So a bit of an unfair comment especially in the context of this thread and I am going to get InCider to spank you hard at the QLD Swap!

I'm happy to do the ABBD thing again next year but I hope I don't get ostracised if I choose to just donate the entry fee and choose to donate anything above this to something I am passionate about. If every AHBer just donated say a $10 entry fee then that would be great.

So, stop picking on people that suggest alternatives :p . We do have our place and we do so with good heart.

Spot,
Patch

P.S. Where is my award for the longest, most expensive and complicated brew day???? And, am I meant to put my figures in the spreadsheet or can you do that for me Katie?

If you can email me your bank account I will direct the money in there, as I told you last week when we were having a friendly drink Ive cut mine up.

If you look we are having a poll WE have not chosen a charity as yet. We are just not doing it the way YOU want it. I have not picked on anybody that has made suggestions Patch. You are picking on me. You have given me nothing but critisism on this thread.

Spot,
Patch

I think that is a great idea, if you have a charity in mind maybe you could forward to the organisers for consideration, you never know they might think your charity is great. Or it might not depending on what is trying to be achieved

I think we need to look at the alternatives, rule out the ones not suited to our cause, the decide which we are going to donate to and do it

Katie, if you need any more bodies to help organise the event, pleas let me know

Paul

I think that is a great idea, if you have a charity in mind maybe you could forward to the organisers for consideration, you never know they might think your charity is great. Or it might not depending on what is trying to be achieved

I think we need to look at the alternatives, rule out the ones not suited to our cause, the decide which we are going to donate to and do it

Katie, if you need any more bodies to help organise the event, pleas let me know

Paul

That would be great thanks Paul, I need to close this years off first just waiting on some final donations. Eric is going to help also! I have a friend who will hopefully be able to make a Australia Biggest Brew Day web page and hopefully we can put a banner across the top. Great suggestion Eric. I will simplify the brew day and not worry about the amount of hops and grain and just worry about the litres brewed and how much people collected on the day and leading up to it.

It would be great if people could let me know what Charities they prefer, Bconnery and Manticle are the only ones that have done so far. Manticle I will put that on the list now...

Please cut and past in put in next post:

The Big Issue
http://www.bigissue.org.au/

Prostate Cancer Foundation
http://www.prostate.org.au/september-awareness/

Australia Amnesty International
http://www.amnesty.org.au/wiki/Category:About/

Canteen
www.canteen.org.au

Starlight Childrens Foundation
www.starlight.org.au

Rspca
National

Australian Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org.au/ourservices_default.htm

Stepping Stones as Featured on Four Corners, "Saving the Witch Children" 22/06/09. Child trafficking and eductaion as well.

Foodwatershelter as featured on Australian Story, "The Still of the Night," 29/09/08. Setting up of eco-friendly sustainable children's villages.

The Big Issue
http://www.bigissue.org.au/

Prostate Cancer Foundation
http://www.prostate.org.au/september-awareness/

Australia Amnesty International
http://www.amnesty.org.au/wiki/Category:About/

Canteen
www.canteen.org.au

Starlight Childrens Foundation
www.starlight.org.au

Rspca
National

Australian Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org.au/ourservices_default.htm

Stepping Stones as Featured on Four Corners, "Saving the Witch Children" 22/06/09. Child trafficking and eductaion as well.

Foodwatershelter as featured on Australian Story, "The Still of the Night," 29/09/08. Setting up of eco-friendly sustainable children's villages.

Wildlife Protection Society of Australia http://www.wpsa.org.au/

Thank you for the suggestions guys....

There a few people that need to still finalize there donations. Then we can close of this site and start another one for next year. I will start another discussion topic before deciding if I make a indvidual web page etc...

I think next year will just go with the amount brewed, what you brewed and donations. Any other suggestions and comments welcome to make next year smoother. Though i am still overwhelmed with the effort and donations of everybody that contributed. Also there were 2 brewers that did not brew but still contributed to the charities. thank you again.

Back