AHA Big Brew Day May 4th.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the idea is to brew the same recipe everywhere - but if you can't source the listed grain then subbing that should be fine in my book. I mentioned the EKG cause I know I have plenty of that but might be a bit short of Fuggles when I scale the recipe up.

winkle said:
so will I

This is the plan Nick, and It is a damm good one.
(some sections may be a bit ambitious)
1. Being half pissed and Still be Brewing the experimental 'Ble Noir' when everyone arrives.
2. Stuff up the calcs for brewing 30 litres (post-boil) of the Mild, explaination of why the host id not wearing any pants, if anyone really needs it.
3. Mash in, single mash infusion for once.
4. Burn some snags and chest hairs on the BBQ while waiting.
5. Stuck Sparge and kick off the boilover with 40+ litres in a 50 litre kettle, shouting wheres the friggin spray bottle. Followed by, oh thats right its in my hands
6. Finish up with a single late addition of EKG and some EKG in the no-chill cube. Then ask everyone , did I add the late edition.
7. Leave the cleaning of the brewery until tommorrow and enjoy several pints of Belgian Imperial Stout.
8. Pizza and nudy run.
9. Wake up covered in Niko pen asking who's pants am i wearing on my head?

The Mild should be kicking off about 12.
Fixed that for you Perry.

5. Stuck Sparge and kick off the boilover with 40+ litres in a 50 litre kettle, shouting wheres the friggin spray bottle. Followed by, oh thats right its in my hands
Sounds very familar Brad, but you missed 'breaking the brown pump' to entertain the guests. :p

Well, bummer, looks like I'm out unfortunately.
The wife has some work thing on Saturday morning, possibly in the afternoon as well.

At least I should be able to brew at home, if not I might come around for a bit in the afternoon.

I have had no luck getting out of pre-orginised stuff, so I'm a no show.
Perry, make sure you give Aydos a shitty glass to use as he has a habit of taking them home.

F'ed if I know where he got that idea from.

smokomark said:
I have had no luck getting out of pre-orginised stuff, so I'm a no show.
Perry, make sure you give Aydos a shitty glass to use as he has a habit of taking them home.

F'ed if I know where he got that idea from.
Ha ha, little unsure on if I will make it now. I need to see if I can drop into brewers choice and come over and brew. Unfortunately because I will be driving that will be my limiting factor. What time are you expecting us Perry and also what's your address?

Have fun guys. I will be brewing tomorrow morning as well, but not off the list. 2nd attempt at the Lord Nelson Cascading Out of the Galaxy.

Will also be looking after our little man so hopefully that doesn't clash with the start of the boil. Bit of a busy time.

May sneak a few Vienna lagers which are getting towards the end of the lagering period. :ph34r: :beerbang:

Let us know how the VL is.

I'm brewing a Munich Dunkel x Vienna lager with Sylva to use up some malt that I've been kindly donated.

Sinking a Vale IPA, now wishing it were a Lord Nelson...

Sorry guys, a little OT.

The Vienna lager is quite nice. Nice and clean tasting and I think it focuses a bit more towards the malt. Nice grainy taste to it. My brother in law is a straight down the line Aussie bloke who drinks Carlton Draught and he was suprisingly complimentary about the VL on a camping trip just gone.

Also got to test out my mobile rig which worked quite well. Beer was still cold and drinkable 2 days later when pulling a couple of beers at father in laws place for guests. Just a cooler with 11L keg in it with beer gun run from CO2 capsules and half a bag of ice.

And I have a mash tun if I ever decide to go 3 vessel. Although I am playing with the idea of mashing in main pot, and doing a second mash in cooler at start of boil. Can then boil first brew whilst mashing the second brew. Finish boil and cube, then transfer 2nd brew to main pot and boil. Could get 2 batches for not much more time than 1. Perhaps another hour.

Way OT now. Sorry guys.

Do I need to bring along my temp probe? Also can I use your mill Perry?

Im doing the blonde recipe and I checked it against the Belgian Pale Ale style and it doesnt fall anywhere within the style. How can they call it a Pale Ale?

also does anyone have williamette because it looks like brewers choice doesnt have any there!

dont worry about the williamette, they do have it!

Shouldn't you be there and brewing already?

I'm already mashing the second batch for today, haven't decided what beer it's gonna be yet though, just a standard grain bill that goes with anything. Will have to figure out hopping soon.

Will try to come around later depending on when the wife comes home.

1. Being half pissed and Still be Brewing the experimental 'Ble Noir' when everyone arrives.
Almost right Brad. Boil just started, not still pist though.
Cleaning up the mash tun and HLT warming up now - should be good for a 12-ish start.
Aydos
Do I need to bring along my temp probe? Probably.
Also can I use your mill Perry? Yep, but its a hand cranked Marga so limber up.

Not a big turn out but we got shit done.
brewday1.JPG
Brewing team on the day.
brewday2.JPG
Filling them cubes-of-death. With the BIAB brewing at the back.

Thanks for letting me come around and brew at yours Perry. My Belgian is on now, lets see how it turns out. Hydrometer read 1060 so it didn't turn out too bad at all.

Latest posts

Back