Ag Stuff Up

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Ok this is what ive done, i have heated an extra 5 litres of water so i could have some for sanitiary stuff etc, I have forgotten to take that 5 litres out before pouring into my mash!!!! so instead of mashing with 15.65 lt of water I am with 20, What will this do??? My thoughts are to now sparge with only 15 to get my final volume made up for the boil. ?? any suggestions??

Aaron

Reaction score
Yeah just reduce the sparge a little to get your volume correct or you could boil longer. It may affect your efficiency a little but it is no major drama. You just end up with a thin mash.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
it wont matter too much, you'll just have a thinner mash than normal. Just take the difference of your sparge water.

Just curious how much grain are you using?

vlbaby.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
i am using 6 kg to make up for 65 effeciency

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
That's just over 3l/kg, shouldn't be a problem. Like the others have said, just adjust your sparge to get your calculated pre-boil volume.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
3.4L/kg should be ok. It will in theory produce a slightly more fermentable wort that will result in a dryer type beer.
I always mash at 3L per kg , so yours isnt much different.

vlbaby.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
thx guys you have put my mind at ease. I usually learn these things the hard way, but it looks like its not a terrible mistake. To make things worse i just dropped my beer filter on the ground and broke the john guest fitting, oh well guess i will have another beer.

Latest posts