Advice on Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a good buy. BC's were once one of the few mills available to brewers and many brewers use them.

Looks pretty much exactly the same as my MaltMuncher grain mill. Or the other way around. Though this one says it has proper bearings rather than brass bushings, as I believe is in my MaltMuncher. Anyway, if it's anything like the MaltMuncher then it should be a good 'un.

Alchomist said:
Been looking at grain mills of late, & seem to be getting more confused the more I look into them.
This one on eBay ticks a few boxes, but I'd appreciate any advice / recommendations those of you with experience in these matters could pass on.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291519194401
Brad Smith has a review of that mill here: http://beersmith.com/barley-crusher/ I don't recall anyone complaining that they're a bad mill.

I've got an original MillMaster grain mill myself so I can't offer advice experience using other mills other than research is your friend. :icon_cheers:

dicko said:
Seems like a good buy. BC's were once one of the few mills available to brewers and many brewers use them.
I do not think that is an authentic 'barley crusher' malt mill. It looks different and more similar to the keg king malt muncher mill. At the top they call it a 'barley crusher' but later refer to it as a 'malt muncher'.

Black n Tan said:
I do not think that is an authentic 'barley crusher' malt mill. It looks different and more similar to the keg king malt muncher mill. At the top they call it a 'barley crusher' but later refer to it as a 'malt muncher'.
You could be right mate...ya just don't know these days with all the crap coming out of China with someone elses brand on it.
Is the Maltmuncher a chinese knock off of another design?

Black n Tan said:
I was wondering that myself. It does look, with exception of the hopper, identical to my Malt Muncher.

dicko said:
You could be right mate...ya just don't know these days with all the crap coming out of China with someone elses brand on it.
Is the Maltmuncher a chinese knock off of another design?
The BC does not have four screws on the body nor thumb screws. Looks like the Chinese knock off that keg king is selling. It may be a good mill just not the Barley Crusher it is masquerading as. Time will tell if it holds up.

Black n Tan said:
The BC does not have four screws on the body nor thumb screws. Looks like the Chinese knock off that keg king is selling. It may be a good mill just not the Barley Crusher it is masquerading as. Time will tell if it holds up.
Good spot Black n Tan.
It's one thing to copy the design, but to then steal the brand name and infer it's the genuine product is really poor form and very dishonest. I wouldn't buy one on principle.

Thanks for the reply's.
I agree it's got 'chinese knock off' written all over it. Amazing how they can sell things like that in australia.

Brings back memories of a golfing mate that bought a set of Ping clubs for 300 bucks online.
First shot in front of 20 people the ball went one way & broken pieces of driver went the other.

Reviews i've read rate this Millars B3 as the bee's knees
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toorak/miscellaneous-goods/barley-mill-barley-grain-crusher-grinder-mill-maltmill-home-brewi/1070767223
Price is a bit of a drawback though.

Anyone had any experience with this model?

Alchomist said:
Thanks for the reply's.
I agree it's got 'chinese knock off' written all over it. Amazing how they can sell things like that in australia.

Brings back memories of a golfing mate that bought a set of Ping clubs for 300 bucks online.
First shot in front of 20 people the ball went one way & broken pieces of driver went the other.

Reviews i've read rate this Millars B3 as the bee's knees
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/toorak/miscellaneous-goods/barley-mill-barley-grain-crusher-grinder-mill-maltmill-home-brewi/1070767223
Price is a bit of a drawback though.

Anyone had any experience with this model?
Its about 170 US for the B3 model.
that add doesnt even tell you if its new or used, not to mention its the old version and over twice the US price

During my research into the Millars mills, apparently the product is top notch, but the pre and post sales service is a bit average and in some cases, almost insulting.

That US one is roughly the same as the Malt Muncher from KK, just a slightly different hopper and feed plates. A mate in the US bought one when he moved back recently.

They come up relatively regularly from a couple of suppliers on ebay for about AU$100-105 (and i suspect are dropshipped from KegKing)

The Millmaster guys will have a new model out in a few months apparently. I'm going to wait for that one.

I use a mortar and pestle. Takes a bit longer but you can really get a feel for the crush.

Scottsrx said:
The Millmaster guys will have a new model out in a few months apparently. I'm going to wait for that one.
Where do you think these are made? Great mills I believe but they have had thier problems of late, I will need a new mill one day and I have no idea what to get. My mill is only 14 years or so old, crushed tons of grain, two roller, not stainless, never had a problem feeding grain, and not for sale.
They don't even make them any more. (like me)

millgrain.jpg

Batz said:
Where do you think these are made? Great mills I believe but they have had thier problems of late, I will need a new mill one day and I have no idea what to get. My mill is only 14 years or so old, crushed tons of grain, two roller, not stainless, never had a problem feeding grain, and not for sale.
They don't even make them any more. (like me)
They had an issue with one batch, and they sorted everyone out who was affected.

Spiesy said:
They had an issue with one batch, and they sorted everyone out who was affected.
They haven't sorted me out yet....I have been waiting for months.:(

A little bit of communication would be good.

Latest posts

Back