Advanced Biab With Stepping And Decoction

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last urquell i had (a month ago) was dripping with diacetyl. Couldn't drink it :(

I reckon it's the diacetyl that makes Urquell as popular as it is. But it's a good thing you can make better beer than them. You deserve a pat on the back.

Here's some photos from a thread I did a while back helping noobs get their heads around decocting.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

There's a colour change even in a 50:50 mix, but it's one or two EBC and in a beer with 20% melanoidin malts I still say it's for fun, not for flavour/colour - there's mailard reactions in 90 minute 1.070 high gravity boils too, but that's beyond the scope of this.

How about we let Bribie get on with his tutorial, eh?

The difference between how you and i do decoctions is now very clear to me looking at your photos.

You are boiling a runny mash mixture, when i do it is is very thick with only just enough liquid to prevent scorching.

This is a pic of a decoction i did for a roggenbier - much darker due to the grain bill but it shows the difference in thickness of the decoction. This also shows just how gummy rye gets when you do 60% rye in a grainbill.

This would explain why you see much less colour change in your beers than i do.

roggendecoction.jpg

This would explain why you see much less colour change in your beers than i do.

Google "Intermediate Stovetop Techniques" and read the part about why I chose to take such a runny decoction. That is how I do mash-out decoctions, not first and second - they are both as thick as everyone else does.
Actually, read my other posts in this thread too.

Do you deliberately mis-read what I post to be an ass?

Fark. Nick out. I have better things to do than explain each an every reasoning behind what I post because you decide to skip the part that make it make sense.

See here for my last defence from a smartypants for why my mashout decoction is 50:50.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=793720

Please can you stop telling me I'm doing stuff wrong when I have said 3 times already that I do it the same way as you in my triple decoctions (except for the mash-out decoction).

Google "Intermediate Stovetop Techniques" and read the part about why I chose to take such a runny decoction. That is how I do mash-out decoctions, not first and second - they are both as thick as everyone else does.
Actually, read my other posts in this thread too.

Do you deliberately mis-read what I post to be an ass?

Fark. Nick out. I have better things to do than explain each an every reasoning behind what I post because you decide to skip the part that make it make sense.

See here for my last defence from a smartypants for why my mashout decoction is 50:50.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=793720

Please can you stop telling me I'm doing stuff wrong when I have said 3 times already that I do it the same way as you in my triple decoctions (except for the mash-out decoction).

Ass? Calling me a donkey is a bit harsh. You could have just called me an arse instead of getting nasty.

It's not my job to spoon feed people, i learnt all i know by reading, researching and experimenting and i am continually learning. There are 100s of people on this forum with far more knowledge than me...

do you reckon it would be way up in the hundreds ? :eek:

What is this and where can i get one!?!?!?! ive been looking for cake racks to hold the bag up above the heating element but i cant fine one anywhere (apart from glass or wooden or plastic or stupid designs etc etc etc)!!!

You need to go to a wanky Masterchef kitchen shop. I bought mine from a chain in QLD called "Robin's Kitchen" but I expect there are equivalents in other states, "house" maybe ???? It's called a curved roasting rack. Used it today with constant heating and it performed perfectly.

Brew day went really well, hit all temperatures and with the use of the new rack to keep the bag off the element, ramping the temperature between steps was smooth and surprisingly quick. The decoction boil slotted in nicely with the rise to mashout.

Final recipe:

Bock
Maibock/Helles Bock

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 7.200
Total Hops (g): 18.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.067 (P): 16.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.58 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.6
Bitterness (IBU): 24.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pilsner Premium Weyermann (69.44%)
2.000 kg Munich I (27.78%)
0.200 kg Melanoidin (2.78%)

Hop Bill
----------------
18.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 63C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 11C with Wyeast 1007 - German Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

--------------------------------------------------

Grain milled

bock1Medium.jpg

Dough in and double-lagged with old faithful sleeping bag and doonah

bock3Medium.jpg

maltose rest with 6L of mushy grain pulled and boiled for half an hour to coincide with the ramp up to mashout

bock4Medium.jpg

Adding the boiling decoct back to the mash brought it up around 4 degrees, well on the way to mashout, then after 10 mins the BribiePressinator put into action.

bock6Medium.jpg

The boost from the over the side heater brought it to the boil in record time

bock7Medium.jpg

All put to bed, report on efficiencies tomorrow - very smoooth brew day

bock8Medium.jpg

Adding the boiling decoct back to the mash brought it up around 4 degrees, well on the way to mashout, then after 10 mins the BribiePressinator put into action.

Nice idea. I'm definitely jumping on the rack-over-bucket bandwagon for my next batch. Trying to tie off a bag of hot grain while it's dripping everywhere is a PITA.

somewhere amongst this pissing contest I think the simplicity of BIAB was lost

QldKev

Thought I would give this whole decoction thing a bit of a shot today.

Was aiming to just do a decoction for mashout, took about 4 or 5l of thick mash out of the urn and got it to boiling for 10 mins (how long should you actually boil it for?)
Then dumped it back into the urn which barely raised the temperature back up to my inititial strike temp.. oh well hopefully it gives me a bit of flavour.

How much 100c thick mash would I need to raise say 28L of 60c mash up to 76c ? (I tried to figure it out in beersmith and came up with 15L which seemed a lot)

Yes I just did mine for some flavour, dumped it back in as it was going to mashout. I just got BS2 to try it out but haven't looked at the decoction options yet.

most brew days consist of periods of boredom punctuated by furious activity, then back to boredom

This is classic!, sums up brew day very well, regardless of how you brew.

Great stuff bribie. If there was ever a tafe course in brewing, i think you'd make a great teacher.

Back