80l Or 100l Esky Mash Tun For 98l Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's your efficency

I'm getting about 80%.

Yes, some brewers don't drain it first. I'm not saying I understand their process. In Beersmith you even have an option you can select for it. The only other thing I can assume is you must have a thicker mash.

Apologies, i thought you were having a go at me. I am away till wednesday but i will have a look at brewmate and tell you the quantities i use for the Cascadian. I checked the screen shot and it's from 21 to 24 kilos of grain depending wich version i use, but i can't get to the brewday page from my laptop to get the sparge water quantity.

cascadianbrewday1.JPG

This is the brewday sheet of my Cascadian Black, it shows twenty four plus kilos of wet grain after draining the wort and then 60 plus litres of sparge water to add.

24 kilos of dry grain and 70 plus litres ot strike water.

As i said, i add it all in a single batch sparge because i don't know any better and haven't gt a recirculating pump setup. If someone else used the same processes i use i'm saying they may have trouble doing any bigger batches or higher gravities. This is 6.5% and barely fits into my 120l esky (i measured the volume when i got it) and allows me to close the lid.

The techni ice esky is 120l to the rim, but when you close the lid, the base of the lid protrudes about twenty mm into the esky reducing volume.

edit; This is an older version of the recipe showing 74% efficiency, i am now getting 79-81% in the techni ice cooler with a different manifold.

when I was the 80 ltr kettle with 50 MLT and HLT, I used to do 2 or 3 (for big beers) batch sparges,

e.g a 7% trying to get 72 ltrs to kettle
15 kg grain, 35-40 ltrs (fill to the brim) strike.
20 - 25 to kettle
then 2 lots of 23- 25 ltr batch sparges.

I now much prefer just 1 batch sparge but I could get my 3 cubes (upto 7%) out of a 80, 50, 50 system or 2 cubes for +7%

100L Techniice arrived today :)

Quite happy with it, seems to have a 1" BSP threaded bunghole which is sunken in he floor, ie it's about 32mm

Latest posts

Back