65 Lives Taken In The Fires

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellow Moon over the Dandynong's tonight Fires still active around Yarra Glen

yellow_moon.JPG

Yellow_Moon_2.JPG

anyone keen on organising something somewhere for the fireys/volunteers/helpers when it all done and dusted , im sure theres plenty of blokes on here willing to give a drink to a 'hero' ... i personally dont have the contacts or time to get something off the ground , but judging on the responses to my initial comment it would appear theres enough people willing to help out with makin something happen , even as far away as QLD and NSW ...

anyone ??

Marysville has been my home away from home for years now... every month or two I always dropped down there for a night or two of camping and some hiking/golf. Absolutely shattered.

Doesn't feel real. Such a great community of people down there... my condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy. Get out the wallets lads and spare what you can. It's pretty much all we can do.....

Did a search and didn't see that this had been mentioned.

<Hargreaves Hill brewery lost>

Beers,
Doc

If the brewery was the white building in Yarra Glen, that means the whole damn town is flattened. It was right in the middle of Yarra Glen.

That is some seriously bad news :(

If the brewery was the white building in Yarra Glen, that means the whole damn town is flattened. It was right in the middle of Yarra Glen.

That is some seriously bad news :(

It isn't in Yarra Glen, the brewery itself is (was) out at Steels Creek.

Toll is at 166.

I saw a newspaper today, and openly wept, on a train station in Sydney- my heart just broke. It is horror of the most wicked form. Kevin had it right- it is Hell. Just hell.

I hugged my daughter extra tight today, and made sure she knows her mama loves her more than anything. I've walked around doing my day to day stuff with a heavy heart since the reports came flooding in.

My love, condolences, support and hope are being sent down there to those affected. We will help however we can. I can't give blood, but I will do something. Not eligible for Kevins money either- so it'll be whatever I can get together.

I hope when they catch the scum who did this that they punish them to the full extent of the law. Try the bastards for murder. Whole towns destroyed. Wiped out. It is unfathomable. A sadness has descended on Victoria, and the world- I've had frantic messages from friends around the globe making sure we, or our loved ones weren't down there. So the news is out there.

I am truly sad. Really really sad.

:( I dont even really know what to say its just that horrible...

Smoke is even making its way across the tasman!

My work (ASB bank) has set up a disaster fund account accepting donations for the cause in NZ, and NZ firefighters are on stand by in case you need them...

Were all thinking of you guys in these trying times :(

G'day mates,

Firstly i want to thank all those that have been ringing, sms and emailing me, i'm not going to name you as there are to many to mention. So far i have been one of the lucky ones and it looks like the worst is over ( fingers crossed ), so i have come back to work for some sleep :D .
I have had 3 mates loose their homes so far but not their lives so over the next 12 months we will be rebuilding their homes. I'm not going to talk about the fcukwits that have lit these fires as i will just get to angry but i will tell you the cops were hot on the trail of an idiot that was going around yesterday in the Kilmore area re lighting fires.
I've had a good talk to some of the local fire fighters and even so of the hardest country men i know will never get over this, they told me that they were actually scared due to the ferocity of the fire, metal gates on fire, houses exploding into flames before the flames had even got near the house and of course finding deceased people. I'm not going to get into it to much as its a pretty stressful and emotional time, but once again thanks to everyone who contacted and thought of me and my family

Rook

G'day mates,

Firstly i want to thank all those that have been ringing, sms and emailing me, i'm not going to name you as there are to many to mention. So far i have been one of the lucky ones and it looks like the worst is over ( fingers crossed ), so i have come back to work for some sleep :D .
I have had 3 mates loose their homes so far but not their lives so over the next 12 months we will be rebuilding their homes. I'm not going to talk about the fcukwits that have lit these fires as i will just get to angry but i will tell you the cops were hot on the trail of an idiot that was going around yesterday in the Kilmore area re lighting fires.
I've had a good talk to some of the local fire fighters and even so of the hardest country men i know will never get over this, they told me that they were actually scared due to the ferocity of the fire, metal gates on fire, houses exploding into flames before the flames had even got near the house and of course finding deceased people. I'm not going to get into it to much as its a pretty stressful and emotional time, but once again thanks to everyone who contacted and thought of me and my family

Rook

Glad to see you are safe Rook... keep it that way.

Brendo

great to hear rook , lets hope it stays that way for you and for 100's of others around the state facing the same dangers , isnt it absolute madness that this has happened while parts of northern queensland are in heavy flood ...

Just saw an update - yarra valley, healsville and toolangi under threat - heavy ember attack currently.

Looks like we are far from this thing being over...

Brendo

If someone gets this off the ground down there, I'd be happy to take a Kluger full of locals from here and a trailer full of whatever on a road trip to help out, I got the fuel covered... ;) Happy to host a brew day at mine to do a batch for the cause too. Come on fellas, surely we can get something happening?

Going to give some blood tomorrow, haven't been for six months so it's high time. We aren't eligible for the bonus, but we donated to the Red Cross today, not a fortune, but I hope it's enough to help somebody out.

Condolences to anyone who has lost family, friends or property.

Good on you Schooey for the offer. I reckon the logistics of getting the brews to the volunteers may be too difficult to make this an effective idea. However, the cash and blood is probably a more effective and achievable donation.

Good time now to remember, though, that all our local communities have volunteer organisations have always require your assisitance and support. Us bushies know about our local Bush Fire Brigades, there are Volunteer Rescue Squads, SES, surf lifesavers, St Johns Ambulance, Meals on Wheels,

Members of the Tuross Bush Fire Brigade have been involved for quite a while in three fires that have been burning down here on the far south coast for weeks - thankfully they are in state forests and away from people though one in the Belowra Valley is starting to get close to towns. They were on full alert over the weekend as a reserve crew - being ready to go at a minutes notice is case of a flare out. So all weekend, these men and women went without a social life - just in case.

If anything good at all comes out of this massive tragedy, it is that we "re-discover" our volunteer organisations. We as Australians must realise that our strength as a nation is how we help each other. In a world when we all think we are too busy to be a volunteer, just ask yourself how many more lives would have been lost and how many more homes destroyed if a too thin line of volunteers had of said "We are too busy to be a volunteer".

Yeah you're probably right, Fatz, would still be good to see the volunteers rewarded somehow when it's all done and dusted though. I guess when you think about it, after some of the horrific things they will have seen, they probably won't be too much in the mood for asession anyways. I sure hope they are being offered counselling etc if they need it.

Donated some cash yesterday and gave some blood this morning. Sent an email to our corporate sponsorship people about a donation but they are already on to it. I hope they give big. Guess theres not much more that can be done from here but hope it's all over soon.

Good to see a fellow brewer safe, Rook

G'day mates,

Rook

Good to hear you're OK Rook. Hope you get some rest back at work.

Latest posts

Back