45 Degress In Adelaide - Time To Consume Some Icey Beer Tonight!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say what you will about -40C, when I'm cold I only have to put on more clothes or cover up with a blanket. But when you're hot.....you're pretty much stuck without A/C.

And where I grew up, north of Saskatoon, the record high was 42C and less than a year later it hit -56C. I really don't like either extreme.

FWIW, I can't fathom the temps there now. You have my sympathies. I wonder how many homebrewers try to cuddle up next to a full keg in order to get some sleep tonight.

There something about the over hot nights, everyone with esky's on the beach up late!

It has jumped to 49.5oC, since my last post.

I thought it was hot here, im trying to not drink this week i drank way too much over the weekend. OHH well thats out the window!!

KHB

any temperature drop will be appreciated, I'm sure the fermentation fridge will appreciate it too.

I put mine on last night to attemperate my NC cube to pitching temp....I've decided to wait a few days, I doubt the poor bloody fridge can get down to the required temp.....unless you wanna come over and help me shuffle things around so I can bring the fermentation fridge inside? :lol:

I much prefer the cold temps. 45c has knobs on it. Cold temps means I can ski!
I remember as a kid, going ice skating on an outside rink in the middle of "summer", at Aviemoor.....

I wonder how the people without fermenting fridges are going? :lol:

I'm very close to an emergency reconfiguration of my keg fridge back to a fermentation fridge. Fermenter was sitting at around 21C this morning with a wet towel but I'm not sure I want to know what it will be when I get home!

WOW You guys really cop it down there. We get some hot days up here in Newy/Sydney but they never seem to be as long and hot as you fellas.
Good luck with it and hope the bush fires dont come into play. I will have a beer and a good thought for u all tonight.

Steve

Not too bad surprisingly, I am located @ tullamarine Melbourne and the temp is 42C, I currently have a brew in my kitchen in 2 bunnings collapsible coolers (one below, one acting as a lid) and all I do is switch over some 1.125lt softdrink bottles of frozen water in the morning and evening and my brew keeps a temp of 18C 20C, although, if I had the space I would get a fermentation fridge in a heartbeat.

Just been looking at some computer models and we may get some relief late next Wednesday....computer don't lie right :rolleyes:

Yeah, 34C when my son came home from work last 11.30pm

With the lowest overnight temp of 32C

Summer's such cruel bitch <_<

BB

Was 32c when I went to work at 3.30am
Was home again at 8.30 already around 38 then.
Wont bother going tomorrow!

Nige

My fermenting fridge has about 75L of pils in it, still at 13C :)
The beer fridge in the beer garden has been running non-stop for about a week!
I just walked home from lunch at the pub. Too hot to walk the extra 1km to the Wheatie, so I drank Riesling at the crappy pub nearest instead.
ABC radio (not yo-yo JJJ) just said the "official" temp in the shade is 46C (114.8F for you seppo lovers, "greatest economy in the world" etc.)

Just been looking at some computer models and we may get some relief late next Wednesday....computer don't lie right :rolleyes:

Oh crap, I hope it's not another 15 days of hell? All I can say is I'm glad I started using a fermentation fridge literally a week ago.

NG, thats 113F. :( Nasty, nasty weather. And the worst thing about it in adelaide, imo, is that it's such a dry heat. Just checked the temp in the shade on my back porch....45.3C. I'd kill for one of Bostons Ginger Pilsners right now...but will have to make do with Amber Ale.

edit: Philip - its admirable that you're having a dry month. But I think the current heatwave counts as 'extraordinary circumstances'....I'm sure noone would hold it against you if you decided to have a beer. :D

2 bottles of bostons ginger pilsner waiting for m when i get home B)

Well I haven't brewed since last year...no fermentin' fridge? no brewin' !

Inside temp at home is 22C where my fermenters are sitting. Havent used the air con yet and doubt i will need it.

Double brick house + new insualtion and a nice cool breeze thru the valley late evening and night. Needed the quilt last night......

Oh, sorry, you plains dwellers dont get that breeze :D

2 bottles of bostons ginger pilsner waiting for m when i get home B)

Inside temp at home is 22C where my fermenters are sitting. Havent used the air con yet and doubt i will need it.

Double brick house + new insualtion and a nice cool breeze thru the valley late evening and night. Needed the quilt last night......

Oh, sorry, you plains dwellers dont get that breeze :D

Anyone for a piss up at Mt Torrens? B)

Still keeping up there with the 44.9 isn't it! This deserves a Batman style "Blam!"

The bureau has decided to make us feel better about the weather tomorrow - they will predict a temperature of "infinity" and we'll all be glad it's lower than that.

Seriously though - who parked Adelaide in the sun and forgot to put the windows down? I'll certainly be rushing home to some Summer Ales.

I just checked my brewing den under the house. its still going alright at 24'C. im just waiting til it gets back down around 20'C, then ill be a happy camper

My fermenting fridge has about 75L of pils in it, still at 13C :)
The beer fridge in the beer garden has been running non-stop for about a week!
I just walked home from lunch at the pub. Too hot to walk the extra 1km to the Wheatie, so I drank Riesling at the crappy pub nearest instead.
ABC radio (not yo-yo JJJ) just said the "official" temp in the shade is 46C (114.8F for you seppo lovers, "greatest economy in the world" etc.)
45.7 and I have a 25 minute walk home through the rail yards in a little while.
The big fridge has been coping well so a nice fresh Hefe on tap when I get home.

Back