3d - Thanks To Fred

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntboozer

Reaction score
Here's my latest toy that arrived today just in time for Xmas.
Crankandstein CGM-3D mill with 1/2" shaft and SS rollers. All I need to do now is make the hopper, a stand and conect the drive motor - a good project for the Xmas break.
3D_Mill0002.jpg
Cheers
nt
:beer:

yeah I got one a while back. I am geting a stainless hopper made for it and I plan to mount it to a table. Not sure if I should make a steel table or a wooden one.

Got anywhere with electric motor and pulleys?

Somebody on here uses a windscreen wiper motor and a battery charger for a cheap arse setup to drive their mill. I hear it works well.

I don't really want to spend the big bucks on a crankandstein and then have the drive setup fail on me.

I am really looking for a 200rpm 500W motor, not sure what torque rating will do the job.

I ended up getting one of these great machines myself. I'd be interested to see how you both mount the 3D in respect to the hopper & frame. I have a few ideas, but cant seem to agree which way to go :ph34r:

Would love to see the finished product :D

Im still waiting on pics from HBWorld..He got his mounted in a bucket with a water cooler bottle for a hopper apparently

Linz,
Here is the set up I have used for over a year now, which adopts the water cooler bottle and bucket approach.

cheers
roach

Here are a few pics of my 3d that may be of interest.
The best addition that I have made to my brewery to date.

P1010035.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010033.JPG

Great Dicko

That's a Hoover twin tub motor if I remember correctly
I know where I maybe able to score one of these , is that the washer motor?
I could see the spinner motor but it did not have the gearbox I think.

Cheers
Batz

Batz said:
Great Dicko

Cheers
Batz
[post="100098"][/post]​

Hi Batz,
You are spot on there mate.
They are a great motor for a mill because they have the gearbox.
I actually had to gear the motor up with the pulley sizes to achieve a mill speed of 125 RPM.
This is a very slow speed compared to using a drill but I dont get any tearing of the grain husks at all and this allows me to run with a finer gap than most.
I would imagine these motors are still around and it would not be too hard to find one.
I have had this motor for years as I used to have it driving a large BBQ spit roast - these things have got heaps of guts!
Cheers

Batz said:
Great Dicko

Cheers
Batz
[post="100098"][/post]​

Batz,
Here is a pic of the motor showing a pulley off the end of the armature on the RHSide. I am not 100% sure but I think the spinner drum was driven from this some how and the washer part was driven from the gearbox end.

P1010033_1.JPG

Thanks Dicko

I think I better grab a couple of bottles of HB and go around and see this bloke.
I noticed he had 3 or 4 old twin tubs lying about

Cheers Batz

Batz said:
Thanks Dicko

I think I better grab a couple of bottles of HB and go around and see this bloke.
I noticed he had 3 or 4 old twin tubs lying about

Cheers Batz
[post="100105"][/post]​

Grab 'em Batz,
They would make good mash stirrers or hlt stirrers as well.
Cheers

Great work Dicko - My main project for the New Year, is getting my mill up & runing - some fabulous setups been displayed on here this year & yours is right up there with the best of them :super:

cheers Ross...

yeah, thats a sweet job. and is that my favourite, hammer tone paint?

ntboozer said:
Here's my latest toy that arrived today just in time for Xmas.
Crankandstein CGM-3D mill with 1/2" shaft and SS rollers. All I need to do now is make the hopper, a stand and conect the drive motor - a good project for the Xmas break.
View attachment 5250
Cheers
nt
[post="98905"][/post]​

gday ntboozer,

just what i need, did you MO yours ?

if so, could you post a contact please.

ruserious

Ross said:
Great work Dicko - My main project for the New Year, is getting my mill up & runing - some fabulous setups been displayed on here this year & yours is right up there with the best of them :super:

cheers Ross...
[post="100116"][/post]​

Thanks Ross and Tangent,
The hopper holds a tad under 12 kilos of grain without heaping it up.
I like the hammertone paint but my first choice was going to be that stick on aluminium checker plate that they use on car dashboards.
In the end I got stuffed around by an auto parts supplier so badly that I opted for the paint.
Post some pics Ross when you get yours up and running.
Cheers

dicko said:
Here are a few pics of my 3d that may be of interest.
The best addition that I have made to my brewery to date.
[post="100096"][/post]​

Hey Dicko,

Looks great. I have a 3d and am looking to building a stand like yours. What's the hopper made of and what are it's dimentions to fit 12kgs? Anymore pics?

Cheers.

hmmm, maybe a hopper made from thin ally checker....?

Latest posts

Back