• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

3D Printing Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:78052

I got a mate to print out this hydrometer stand a while back and I highly recommend it. Turned out a little too tight so could scale it up a tiny bit but all it took was a bit of sandpaper to the original tube base cap.
Works a charm.

Yeah a lot of people who do design don't understand fit and tolerance :huh: but it's an engineer thing.

On a semi related note I've actually just designed and made a couple of useful little objects.

The first is a little thing that your cheap ebay LCD thermometers can mount into and have holes to screw into the side of a ferm fridge. These will fit ones with a mounting hole size of 46x27mm.
The other one is a small shank designed to fit a 600LPH pump from ebay, an immersion pump designed for a fish tank. Basically the two adapters it comes with, one is too small and one is too big. So I designed a conical one and then ribbed it like a shank.

Getting back to other things I've been working on, one of the guys on here, Carniebrew, hit me up for a visual flow indicator - basically an object where you run it in the middle of fluid or gas lines to check for flow - great for keggers.

My lhbs has hit me up also for some custom tap handles with the ability to change the insert or put on a bit of whiteboard too.

As for pics - pump shank
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396316810.580665.jpg

Temp gauge holder
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396316915.063838.jpg

Design in progress - flow indicator - this could still be made smaller, but would be printed in a special clear filament on the front side to visualise flow. The fan would be printed in a fluorescent colour and definitely stand out against the back
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396317509.397606.jpg

Tap designs - some of these have lost their specs between cad and the program so I'll have to work out what they were supposed to be
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396317487.198561.jpg

Slighty off topic

Anyone remember the old fuel bowsers with the plastic balls in the glass sight glass in the side

Very simple and effective way of showing flow.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Slighty off topic
Anyone remember the old fuel bowsers with the plastic balls in the glass sight glass in the side
Very simple and effective way of showing flow.
Yep. And also the ones that had the paddle wheel in the sight glass. And you could also leave the tap on, hands free, whilst it filled the tank.

And you could also leave the tap on, hands free, whilst it filled the tank.[/quote]

Easier to light your smoke that way

bradsbrew said:
And you could also leave the tap on, hands free, whilst it filled the tank.
Can still do this in many country servo's, including the one I frequent in not so country Grafton. If not, the piece of fencing wire in my door does the trick.

Just use the fuel cap of the car to jam the fuel trigger up.

Hmmm what about a creamer head/agitator for the perlick faucets? something that slips over the tap?

After seeing some people smash the inlet/outlets on their kaixin pumps, new pump heads (as long as they'd be food safe at upto almost boiling temps) would be good

I could maybe work something out for a creamer head for Perlick taps.
What does it do? Is it like a sparkler on a swan necked beer engine outlet?

I'm a complete novice when I comes to the design and production for 3D printings, but i have been playing around with 3D modelling for use in advertising. Mostly visual representations of point of sale and recreating renders for stuff that's easier to render than photograph.

This being said, I think custom tap handles would be HOT! I would love to know more about the logistics of getting something printed.

Is it as easy as sending over a file? If so, what type?

I'm just using Cinema 4D, which is obliviously not designed for printing. Do you have a recommended software to use, I'll give it a crack and see if I can come up with something worth printing.

@pcb - 3ds, obj, anything that blender can import as I'm able to export to STL. Or just straight into STL makes life easiest. That is what my printer reads.

As for the creamer I'm happy to do one if need be

fattox said:
As for the creamer I'm happy to do one if need be
Yes please! I assume the plastic is food safe after it is printed/undergone plastic formation yada yada?

Sorry, I recalled earlier confirmation that it is food safe, carry on!

Yeah it is, definitely. I've got a citrus juicer I made with some! As for custom handles these are my design with the ability to have a plastic insert for blackboard or acrylic sheet (75x75mm)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398073739.030753.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398073752.546296.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398073762.130584.jpg

Latest posts

Back