• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

3D Printing Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick background - I'm a final year engineering student who happens to own a 3D printer, one I purchased about 6 months ago.

My reasoning for advertising here is simple. I am able to design and print objects that fit inside a build area of up to 275x150x150mm from a food safe PLA plastic.

So far, I have printed off a small bottle adapter for sanitising - essentially a much smaller funnel because at the time I didn't have one spare.

I will be charging 10c/gram on filament use plus postage. Ranges of colours:

www.faberdashery.co.uk
https://www.bilbycnc.com.au/DispCat.asp?CatID=9&SubCatID=107
http://www.the3dprinter.com.au/collections/consumable/products/1kg-generic-pla-filament

Costs will be the same regardless, as it covers time and such.

Can do custom designs on request, charged out per the hour, how much I haven't worked out.

MODS - not sure if this is the right section, but I figure it would be best in here? Let me know if I should post it elsewhere.

Cheers!

Forgot to mention - if you're looking at filaments, mine uses 1.75mm PLA filament. It is a Makerbot Replicator 2, so has quite a high level of detail/resolution. Can print at 100 microns per level for a finer quality print, for more detailed parts.

I have always been fascinated by these printers, ever since i saw one in action as an apprentice. This food safe pla plastic, is it heat resistant? I just had a quick nosey on wikipedia and i believe there are 2 types: heat resistant and non-heat resistant.

Looks like an awesome concept. I think the biggest battle for most will be getting a 3d design done. I can imagine heaps of applications, but the most thought provoking for me are tap handles.

I can imagine if a funky handle was designed, heaps of people would be keen. Maybe it could be customised with your brewery name so that the name could wasily be changed in cad at your end fattox.

Just a thought

idzy said:
Looks like an awesome concept. I think the biggest battle for most will be getting a 3d design done. I can imagine heaps of applications, but the most thought provoking for me are tap handles.

I can imagine if a funky handle was designed, heaps of people would be keen. Maybe it could be customised with your brewery name so that the name could wasily be changed in cad at your end fattox.

Just a thought
Great idea, could design the bottom part with thread as a standard size (your logo etc could go there) and a top custom section for people to make their own design.

Google have a free 3D CAD program called "SketchUP"... it's quite powerful for a free piece of software and would be more than capable of allowing people to tinker their own designs. Question is, can you import or convert sketchup files?

I'm keen for some tap handles too btw :beerbang:

A 3D printed Growler...

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Great idea, could design the bottom part with thread as a standard size (your logo etc could go there) and a top custom section for people to make their own design.

Google have a free 3D CAD program called "SketchUP"... it's quite powerful for a free piece of software and would be more than capable of allowing people to tinker their own designs. Question is, can you import or convert sketchup files?

I'm keen for some tap handles too btw :beerbang:
Hasn't belonged to Google for a while now, and while there is still a free version, the pro version is around $550USD now

Looks like I'm behind the times! LOL

Free version has enough features to use for this purpose though yea?

Maybe fattox could be all enterprising and creare the 3d model for us and then offer it as an option in order to generate business.

I can see far more trouble integrating 3rd party designs, such as sketchup, than changing a font on a tried and tested 3d model and offering a range of different colours. The font could look like it is impressed in the handle. The customer could be sure the thread will work, etc, etc

The problem will then be keeping up with tracking payments and shipping because I'm sure this would be popular.

The 240v worm drive motor comes to mind. That dude has now made about 4 generations of product for the AHB market, and initially couldn't keep up with the amazing demand for his product.

Expression of interest:
1. Idzy x 3

Idzy - I thoroughly agree with you. Something like that idea with bar taps would actually be a good idea. Maybe even something where you can slip a piece of whiteboard or paper in, so having a normalish beer tap handle, then an insert section so you could have what's on tap up to date.
The other idea I thought would definitely be bungs or taps for fermenters? Could go alright. Cheap, easy replacement, and could design it to be finger-tightenable.

The only thing I'd really need to know would be ID and thread info if it was to screw onto something for a tap handle.

The rest of you - NO BLOODY GUNS!!! Not that I wouldn't be interested to see how they went, BUT if a certain legal authority got wind of someone pumping out pistols from his expensive 3d printer, let's just say certain printer owner would lose printer and face jail time. No thanks!

How about a new snap tap body with a hose barb connection or threaded spout instead of the tapered spout? I like this type of tap on my fermenters but due to the tapered spout a 1/2" silicone hose tends to slip off without warning when filling a keg. The seals and handle could be taken from an existing tap so only the body would need to be printed.

Here is an example of the type of tap I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/321217470057?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=94

fattox said:
The rest of you - NO BLOODY GUNS!!! Not that I wouldn't be interested to see how they went, BUT if a certain legal authority got wind of someone pumping out pistols from his expensive 3d printer, let's just say certain printer owner would lose printer and face jail time. No thanks!
There pretty easy to make. 2nd yr fitter/machinist could knock one up complete with silencer pretty easy. Had a mate knock up a few out of stainless billet. ......But enough about that...

fattox said:
Idzy - I thoroughly agree with you. Something like that idea with bar taps would actually be a good idea. Maybe even something where you can slip a piece of whiteboard or paper in, so having a normalish beer tap handle, then an insert section so you could have what's on tap up to date.
The other idea I thought would definitely be bungs or taps for fermenters? Could go alright. Cheap, easy replacement, and could design it to be finger-tightenable.

The only thing I'd really need to know would be ID and thread info if it was to screw onto something for a tap handle.

Good call man, the bungs and taps are a distraction. Way too cheap to just buy from a shop, couple of bucks. Blingy stuff like the handles are where it is at.

Completely agree about some chalkboard tape space, like a square or something. Maybe with people's logo above or text above?

That would be awesome I reckon.

fattox said:
I tried :)

PeteQ said:
Someone has already beat us to the punch -

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26267
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:89111
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:213533
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:183714
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33657 beer tap collar?

I would definitely be keen on some custom tap handles. Maybe we could get some interest, confirm a design and confirm costs?
Yeah I had a look on there after someone said but I'd gladly knock them up. I could do the CAD no dramas too, work out a price,basically as long as I knew the interior thread dimensions I'd be fine to knock something out.

Back