300% Increase In Beer And Wine Taxes (proposed)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres something to ponder, what if kits hit $50+ on the shelves down the track? Unlikely I know but I might start looking at growing ones own yeast.

Then you'd better go AG.

Get in now and beat the rush! :beer:

Don't worry folks, Strip Club Kev will trot out shortly and gloss some diplomatic spin on the whole 'mis-understanding'.

Then everyone like Tony can get back to kissing his feet even with another interest rate rise next month :)

Won't be long before we will all need to kiss the feet of

BARREN VON GILLARD

(At least the new GG has kids)

cheers

Darren

I saw in some old report that 4% of New Zealand's GDP was lost to problems related to alcohol abuse. Ironically, alcohol production accounted for about 4% of the GDP. Get rid of the "problem" 1920's USA style and economically, they'd be in the same position. I imagine that the stats for Australia would be similar. Possibly higher GDP accounted for by alcohol production and lower GDP due to losses, as home distilling is illegal here.

You would loose 4% GDP in higher policing and another 4% in the cost of keeping a new type of criminal in gaol and another 4% lost production from those people being in gaol.

Gday
I am yet to see anybody comment on exactly how the taxes will effect the cost of a beer (not that I ever buy any). Is it the excise on beer made that will be going up (proposed ;)), or the sales tax in bottle shops and pubs? IIRC, beer under 5% is charged at about $16/L of alcohol - it may be $33, but I cannot be sure, as I cannot be arsed looking up the ATO website. At $16/L, there is 9L in a case of megaswill (VB for example), at 4.8% = 0.432L actual alcohol. Charged at $16/L that is about $6.90 per case in tax. As others have stated, it will probably end up heading skywards by about 30-50%, or around an extra $3 per case. I could be wrong, as my number are based on memory rather than fact (so it could be said to be based on fantasy!), but it probably wont be that bad. Mind you, anything that puts micro's further behind the eight ball than they already are should be opposed solely on principle.
As an aside, growing tobacco at home will get you in more merde than growing pot, or so I am lead to believe. And I am sure that there are good priests out there, but dont get too upset about if people take pot shots at em - I mean, look at the Irish and the Scottish, and even Jews - they all get the piss taken out of em for being stupid, or being tight. Its just stereotypes that everbody can relate to, despite the fact they are more often than not incorrect.
Anyway, I'm off to do something really important - watch gordon ramsay swear at stupid people :lol:
All the best, and fingers crossed the bill only gets passed if it includes a tax reduction for micros.
All the best
Trent

Trent brings some sense to a rather mixed up and knee jerk debate.
The Government has not proposed thsi, a lobby group has:
Now to quote from my pst to Canberra Brewers earlier this evening, spellin g mistakes an all:"
I can tell you , and I speak with a decent amount of background knowledge, not stained by the way by political affiliation..that this current government is any thing but pro alcohol.
The problem is (for beer drinkers and breweries, small breweries in particular) that they see alco-pops and beer as the same thing..alcohol.
What happened over the weekend is that the tax on alcohol in alcopops increased from a previous concessional rate, as the opos were under 10% alcohol to the same rate (per litre of alcohol) as standard spirits (bar brandy) to $ 66.67 per litre, thus a 333ml bottle of 5% pop , having 16.66 (that number keeps popping up) ml of alco has $1.22 0f tax (GST inc) at the manufacturers end, tax is a cost and margins are made on cost...work it out..
Beer follows a strange scheme, but some historical insight may help here.
At some point in time some time in the last 30 years (since the Foods Acts were changed to allow the sale of low strength beer) it was decided, for very good reasons to reduce the excise payable on low alcohol beer. The mechanism has changed a number of times but the excise is still at a lower rate.
In the run up to the election that Mr John Winston Howard was calling for a GST mandate chummy old Johnny, declared that the price of beer over the bar in your local pub would not rise as a result of GST (note the sly old biscuit did not mention packaged beer), so the excise was changed so that beer packaged in containers of greater than 48 litres would be taxed at lower rate, so as pick up or give back the GST to your average Jackie Howard.
Beer also gets a concessional rate as well..the first 1.15% of alcohol is not taxed/excised. On top of that the top rate of excise varies from (per litre alc from $6.74 to $39.36.

Thus for our standard 333ml package the Beer Equivalent Tax (BET) is:

3% over bar $ 0.04
3.5% over bar $ 0.17
5% over bar $ 0.36
3% in bottle $ 0.21
3.5% in bottle $ 0.31
5 % in bottle $ 0.50

If all alco were taxed at the same rate then <= 3% draft beers tax/excise would increase by over 20 times !!!.
EDIT: Or spirits would be real cheap !!
K

In Bibere Veritas

Between the Numbers and Reality..
Falls the Shadow

K

Hey K,

As usual I find it hard to interpret your post but can read between the lines (I think)

Does this mean that once again bottled (maybe cask) wines running in at 12% alcohol are not effected by this.

Yes, yes, I understand that these are not legislated changes.

cheers

Darren

Wine is taxed in a different away again.
It is what might be thought of as the influence of lobby groups.
The ever mounting problem of course is that for every concession another group wants an equal.
The rates are all published by the ATO, remember though that there is an insidious tax component built in where the excise actually rise twice per year in concert with the CPI...

EDIT: Was it my reference to blue singlets that confused??

One must remember who Kev 'will he make it past 08' is married too. Therese Rein owned the Ingeus Group, with coverage into the job network via WorkDirections. Huge number of clients are unemployed due to alcoholism and stupid things like DUI's. Also owned counseling services etc. So she covered it all.

Look at Kev's policy, and you can see alot come of it out of this context.

Scotty

Does this mean that the increase in taxes will reduce the client base of companies such as Ingeus or that Therese has identified a valuable revenue source, alco's who who do not care what they pay.....not very differnt to the fuel guzzling motor vehicle drivers...
On the other hand a total beat up about 300% increase will salve the 2.1% won't it??

Koitz

The ABC radio station 612 in Brisbane has a facility where people can phone in anytime and leave their comments on any matter on a answering machine.These calls are then replayed in a section named Cereal Box around 7am weekdays.

Today in amongst calls on traffic hassles,complaints on this and that,and general whinges there was one on homebrewing.

The male caller was making the point that if liquor taxes are increased by 300% homebrewing activity will increase greatly especially in spirits.He said that a new cottage industry could take hold producing Queensland Moonshine.

I don't know if the caller was tongue in cheek,a wowser,a do-gooder or just stating the obvious.

However such comments draw attention to homebrewing and "concerned citizens" may feel some action is required.

I don't expect any levies on homebrewers of beer for personal consumption.After all it was Whitlam who allowed home brewing of beer shortly after he was elected in 1972.

"Home brewing was legalised in Australia under Prime Minister Gough Whitlams Labor government in 1973 in fact, the home-brew law was one of the very first among a raft of new legislation introduced by the highly reformist regime. Before that, it had been legal to make beer at home but only if it was around 1 per cent alcohol (in other words, gnats bladder weak).

The exact wording of the new law introduced under Whitlam allows home brewers to make 22 litres of beer per week. Of course, thats more than enough for any individual to consume but, really, this is only a guideline and I dont know of anyone who has ever been prosecuted for making more than the allowable volume. "

http://www.penguin.com.au/lookinside/spotl...mp;page=extract

One must remember who Kev 'will he make it past 08' is married too. Therese Rein owned the Ingeus Group, with coverage into the job network via WorkDirections. Huge number of clients are unemployed due to alcoholism and stupid things like DUI's. Also owned counseling services etc. So she covered it all.

Look at Kev's policy, and you can see alot come of it out of this context.

Scotty

Wouldn't that mean it's in their interest to encourage binge drinking? The more alcoholics in need of assistance, the more money will be around to help them.

Win-win, really.

Ahh yes, the old "no matter what gets done it confirms the conspiracy" problem...

Don't you know that anyone who expresses doubts about a conspiracy theory...is in on it!!!! :eek:

Ahh yes, the old "no matter what gets done it confirms the conspiracy" problem...

I think i will stage a Coup in the Hut River provence and call all beer lover's to take up arms against the Krudd Social Justice Truck and the evil buzzard of the unions Gillard.

Failing that I will accept the inevitable rise in the price of grog move to Christmas island and brew beer in a cave.

And relax! If your a home brewer, what are you worried about.

The micros :(

But compared to megaswill, the price of micro beer is made up of SOOOO much more overheads/ingredients cost than tax. Therefore if all tax goes up, the effect is much larger on megaswill than micro beer (of the same alcohol content). In other words, both will go up, but the mega might go up by X% of its original price, whereas the micro would go up by a lesser percentage of its original price. This brings their prices closer together and makes micro beer COMPARATIVELY more affordable.

The micros :(

But compared to megaswill, the price of micro beer is made up of SOOOO much more overheads/ingredients cost than tax. Therefore if all tax goes up, the effect is much larger on megaswill than micro beer (of the same alcohol content). In other words, both will go up, but the mega might go up by X% of its original price, whereas the micro would go up by a lesser percentage of its original price. This brings their prices closer together and makes micro beer COMPARATIVELY more affordable.

Comparatively yes, but for me $30 a sixer (assuming thats what it goes to if there was a 300% rise (which there won't be, I know)) for a microbrew is too pricey. On a sixer of 4.8% beer in 330ml stubbies, there is about $3.75 tax at the moment, an extra ten is a bit too much for me to stomach. I'm going to grab the coopers over a smaller label if I really have to, but on the most part I'll just make sure I never run out of my own again.

They would lose my patronage unfortunately

Using your example, your example micro would be $20 currently. The mega would be say $13.50.

After tax hike:

example micro would be $30 (up by 50%). The mega would be $23.50 (up by just over 74%).

Also, while you're right $30 seems like too much to cop for a micro brew, it's even more ridiculous to buy Fosters Light Ice for $23.50.

Coopers would be somewhere in the middle, which then makes the micro seem even MORE affordable.

EDIT: Better point out, I don't disagree they would lose your patronage. But from a Joe Average point of view, I feel the micro becomes MORE affordable comparatively than it is now.

Maybe if we all hi-jack the corner of Flinders st and Swanston street in Melb, get our gear off in protest the Gov't may do something about meeting our demands? Seems to have worked for these taxi drivers!!! ;)

300taxi_0.jpg

...I'm sure our guts are bigger.

Maybe if we all hi-jack the corner of Flinders st and Swanston street in Melb, get our gear off in protest the Gov't may do something about meeting our demands? Seems to have worked for these taxi drivers!!! ;)

View attachment 18928

:lol: :lol: Muslim Haka?

Warren -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back