300% Increase In Beer And Wine Taxes (proposed)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy you lot. You're making a storm in a middy glass. It's what sounds like a throwaway statement made by a member of an advisory committee on public health, on the back of a sudden tax hike that she was stunned got through without a whimper. It's a long shot, a "hey, that was easy, let's see how far we can ride it" type thing. I'm surprised if it gets any more attention than the referenced piece in a rag like the courier mail. It's not even something that's been proposed by a member of parliament, let alone government policy or proposed legislation.

And how the hell did this become about priests? I'm more than over any mention of priests needing to be linked to sexual proclivity, let alone as a standin for all things distasteful. I've known personally at least a dozen priests, each of whom does more good in his lunch hour than most of us do in the proverbial month of Sundays. A few of them have dedicated almost all of their work to helping and protecting the children they're so quick to be written off as rampantly buggering. I've had an absolute gutful of it, and I'm an atheist. How do you reckon it makes the priests feel?

Cigarettes at $20 a packet won't bother me as I don't smoke but we will soon get home grown tobacco clubs similar to homebrewing clubs starting up for the educated smokers.

this kind of thing is already being done, "chop chop" is cheaper and much better for you (pure tobacco without all the yummy additives that the company's like to add) and is quite easy to obtain if you know the right people. it's just unfortunate that unless it's got a massive amount of government tax on it it's illegal

Go Labor!! The party that looks after the workers by slugging them with extra tax on beer after a hard day :lol:

I might have to take my hip flask full of metho to the pub from now on and just order orange juice.

You sound like one of them. You know what's best for everyone? Whatever you like?

Basically yeah :lol: but seriously the point I was making was semi tongue in cheek - just a bit of social commentary. the ones that tend to binge and cause problems also tend to live off VB or new (The older crowd) or fruity lexia/UDL/woodies/whatever for the younger crowd.

It's so extreme that those proposing it can't seriously believe it will go ahead. All the manufactured media outrage about 'binge drinking' would evaporate in a stink about increasing prices. It would be inflationary at a time when inflation is public enemy no. 1. It would alienate a whole lot of people.

Lobby groups always pitch for much more than they ever expect to get. However, here I think they went too far... I'd say they would be happy with 20-40%

We are about to get a Budget allowing a proposed $20 a week tax cut for the average family that will slug that same family more than that in excises. Fuel will soon be $2.00 a litre - road deaths from car accidents will decrease but bicycle accidents will more than take up that slack. Cigarettes at $20 a packet won't bother me as I don't smoke but we will soon get home grown tobacco clubs similar to homebrewing clubs starting up for the educated smokers. Or cigarettes that will recycle what is exhaled to give you more bang from the butt.

Actually, the penalties for growing tobacco are MASSIVE.

It's all the fault of those bl**dy binge drinkers. :ph34r: :lol:

And the immigrants :p

Why did they increase the tax on the alcopops a few weeks before the Budget when they could easily have left it until then? Perhaps to get an idea of the public response to such an increase before fine tuning other liquor tax increases.

Since it's excise, it's an executive power, not a legislative power- thus it won't ever be a part of a budget.

I might have to take my hip flask full of metho to the pub from now on and just order orange juice.

Elitist. B)

The hell with the Government and the HELL with Kevin Rudd...goddamn I'm pissed off at this! Guy looks like he's never had a decent beer in his life, and the hell with the public forums condemning booze - ask the 'oldies' and they'll tell you that they got written off just as much as the next person, its just somone else is condemning it now. However, this time the Government is actually listening to the minority instead of the majority; making choices for them on their behalf under the guise of 'its good for you'. Well, I say they can shove it right up the place where Western society traditionally shoves things!

I mean, come on, taxing booze [as others have said] is just going to irritate the hell out of people and make them demand its tax either be lowered, or the tax on something else [petrol maybe, hint hint Mr Rudd] be lowered.

Man, this is getting me worked up...where's my homebrew at...

It probably worked liked this,

"Hey let's get some more cash by taxing grog again" government dweeb 1 says
"Cool, well a 25% increase would just about get us there" government dweeb 2 replies.

The press release goes out saying a 300% percent increase is on the cards. There is public outrages.

Government dweeb 1 says to the public, "well we've had a look at it and we share your pain so we'll only bring in a 30% increase".

The public breathes a sigh of relief, meanwhile government dweeb 1 and 2 sit in the corner giggling like little girls because they got a 30% increase when they were only after 25, along with a bonus cheque for a job well done.

:huh:

gary

People do realise this is all a beat up

This is no government policy nor has it be raised in parliament.

Grab a beer, sit down and calm down

People do realise this is all a beat up

This is no government policy nor has it be raised in parliament.

Grab a beer, sit down and calm down
No, WWWH, I'm afraid they don't. It's now been said by at least three different people in this thread, but listening to that sort of reason just isn't as much fun as ranting about the guvmint.

No, WWWH, I'm afraid they don't. It's now been said by at least three different people in this thread, but listening to that sort of reason just isn't as much fun as ranting about the guvmint.
Hear hear! :p

That's because online petitions are not worth the paper they're not printed on.

Be that as it may, I signed it anyway. I'm all for micro's getting less tax out of the bargain - who else is up for that?

However, this time the Government is actually listening to the minority instead of the majority;

This time?

:lol:

I recal a certain gun byback years ago that was called for by extremist anti gun groups. THe government (Little Johny) spent about 3 billion on it and all they got was about 3.2% of all pump action and semi auto weapons sold in australia (that they know about)
Imagine the hospitals and schools, roads and whatever else that could have been built with that money.

All it did was to effect the law abiding licenced owner and the crims just kept theirs, because they were unlecenced...... noone knows who or where they are.

So it was a pointless excercise.

See........... knocking Mr Rudd, isnt the answer............. it wouldnt matter if the Greens or Pauline hanson were in............ the result is the same. They are all the same just with different party names.

And relax! If your a home brewer, what are you worried about.

cheers

And relax! If your a home brewer, what are you worried about.

cheers

Heres something to ponder, what if kits hit $50+ on the shelves down the track? Unlikely I know but I might start looking at growing ones own yeast.

Don't worry folks, Strip Club Kev will trot out shortly and gloss some diplomatic spin on the whole 'mis-understanding'.

Then everyone like Tony can get back to kissing his feet even with another interest rate rise next month :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back