24V Electrical Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
What is the cheapest, easiest and safest way for me to make 24V 4 Amps from a mains supply?

I picked up a 24V pump for my keg/ferm washer and I would like to gather all the parts etc I need first up.

Just not sure what I need to look at..

Any replies are greatley appreciated.

(All work will be carried out by a sparky at my work)

I'm using laptop chargers and a led lighting power supply on various projects. Ebay is the way to go if you can wait for hong kong shipping

Most of the usual suspects'll sell a 24V powersupply of one kind or another off the shelf that'll do that sort of current. Jaycar, rs-components, altronics etc.

They arent cheap though, you'll be looking in the ballpark of $90

There are many on eBay and Aliexpress but it can be hard finding one with an Australian power cord. Here's one on eBay that could do the trick for under $25.00.

Edit: I'll add that the Chinese adapters can be a mixed bag with regards to reliability. Certainly there are quality manufacturers over there, but on eBay and Aliexpress there's little incentive for the retailers to select good manufacturers. The more expensive locally bought options can be worth their asking prices if purchased from a reputable outlet.

Michael Burton said:
There are many on eBay and Aliexpress but it can be hard finding one with an Australian power cord. Here's one on eBay that could do the trick for under $25.00.

Edit: I'll add that the Chinese adapters can be a mixed bag with regards to reliability. Certainly there are quality manufacturers over there, but on eBay and Aliexpress there's little incentive for the retailers to select good manufacturers. The more expensive locally bought options can be worth their asking prices if purchased from a reputable outlet.

Thanks for your reply, I agree, some items can be hit and miss.

Have a look in the cheap shops for Xmas tree lights etc and check the power voltage , I have some Xmas lights that are 24 v powered.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Thats a reasonable size P.S..

You might want to look at 24v battery chargers
Just be careful some of these do some really weird things with their output (pulse, HF etc) as a way to recondition the battery health.

To be honest, 24 VDC is only ever used for control equipment power (sensors, relay cards), which don't draw much current.

24 VDC at 4 A = 96 watts. As other's have mentioned, you're looking at ~$100 for a suitable PSU:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Supply/Switchmode-Open-Frame-%26-DIN-Rail/150-Watt-Switchmode-Power-Supply-24VDC-6-5A/p/MP3114

I've got a 240 - 24v transformer.
Primary 208/240VAC 50/60HZ
Secondary 24VAC 40VA

Not sure if that will work for you but it's yours if you want it.

Smoko

spog said:
Have a look in the cheap shops for Xmas tree lights etc and check the power voltage , I have some Xmas lights that are 24 v powered.
I have one of these. 24V AC and 200ma.

smokomark said:
I've got a 240 - 24v transformer.
Primary 208/240VAC 50/60HZ
Secondary 24VAC 40VA
Too small for OP's use unfortunately.

Need 4A = 4000mA at 24V. This is equivalent to 96 VA

This one will do you for $12.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161911781348

You will need an enclosure (~$5 from jaycar), power cable ($2 bunnies), cable glands/clamps ($2 - $5 jaycar) and whatever DC side connection you prefer (ie 2.5mm DC/barrel bulkhead ~$3 jaycar). Should be able to do it for under $25.

If running for longer times you may want a bigger enclosure and/or a fan.

If you are confident with electronics, you can find an old PC PSU.
these usually have a +12v and -12v rail.

add a switch if needed (better ones have one on the back)
a resistor (to keep it on)
however you want to interface it with your accessories.

Just be aware of of the current rating of the -12v rail, it is usually lower than the +12v rail.

I have one of these as my bench PSU... so much grunt, so much cheaper than an off the shelf bench psu.

mofox1 said:
This one will do you for $12.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161911781348

You will need an enclosure (~$5 from jaycar), power cable ($2 bunnies), cable glands/clamps ($2 - $5 jaycar) and whatever DC side connection you prefer (ie 2.5mm DC/barrel bulkhead ~$3 jaycar). Should be able to do it for under $25.

If running for longer times you may want a bigger enclosure and/or a fan.
Except it is only rated at 80% duty cycle, so may protest after sustained pumping.

But for $12.....yeah I would

Latest posts

Back