210L SS Drums for Boiling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathroll

Reaction score
I've been looking at going a little larger than my Keg kettle.
and have been looking around at all types of different threads and things i could make boilers out of.
Had some wild weather here in sydney over night so no work today and i jumped on gumtree to have a look around and these came up

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taree/miscellaneous-goods/210l-304-s-steel-closed-head-drum-seamless-contamination-free/1058347245

they are 1.5mm thick 304 SS. I read somewhere that 3mm was a good thickness(but i cant remember what i was reading or if i just imagined it)
a sankey keg is 18 gauge steel which is 1.245mm if i'm correct. So these look like they would be great.

I got married over the weekend and everyone loved the "I Do Brew" and i've always got people asking me for some so i'm thinking of just doing one or two really big batches just every now and then. and keeping my normal setup for more experimental and style brews.

can anyone give me some info on big kettles/big fermenters and any experience they have had. and also if this barrel will hold up to a bunch of boils.
I'm looking to pair it with a 205L food grade plastic fermenter.

while on the question of "large"
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/270774936311?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107

these are super cheap, anything stopping you from fermenting in one of these babies?

thanks
Deathroll

good find!

I'd be surprised if the drums wouldn't hold up to a bunch of boils. Just don't light your big burner until they've got a bit of liquid in them. The base of the pot can't get much above 100C while it's got water in it.

I use a 160 litre kettle that has a 1.5mm base. I use it on gas, and compared to a 100 litre kettle with a 30mm base, it gets a few little hot spots, but nothing I'm worried about.

I've also wondered about those ag tanks as fermenters. They're not pretty but they might do the job.

Cheers.

Looks the goods ,gas or electric ,I Might be keen on one of theses my self

good looking drums those, but I'd not use the big water containers to ferment in, not because you cant, just be an arse to clean.

I use one as a rain water tank that I initially bought to run chiller water but then decided I couldnt be arsed with immersion chillers.. great tank.

Imagine no chilling in a 1000L IBC...
Those linked IBCs don't specifically state they've been used with foodsafe items only (that I could see), so I wouldn't be using them for fermenters

I have ordered from this company and payed for a crevice free, plasma welded and polished open top 205 litre clamp on lid stainless steel 304 grade drum. What I received was a standard open top stainless steel drum, after numerous calls and emails and returning the drum I am still out of pocket $497.00 and still waiting after 3 weeks.

sp0rk said:
Imagine no chilling in a 1000L IBC...
Those linked IBCs don't specifically state they've been used with foodsafe items only (that I could see), so I wouldn't be using them for fermenters
You can get a mylar liner for these.o

You can, but it's still probably best practice to get one that's been used for foodstuffs or brand new

Sorry for your pain bro, but big thanks for the heads up.

gregs said:
I have ordered from this company and payed for a crevice free, plasma welded and polished open top 205 litre clamp on lid stainless steel 304 grade drum. What I received was a standard open top stainless steel drum, after numerous calls and emails and returning the drum I am still out of pocket $497.00 and still waiting after 3 weeks.

sp0rk said:
Yeah, the one linked to by the OP has a message at the very bottom of the description saying "Not suitable for drinking water". So if its not good for that then fermenting beer is out. They've probably been used to transport some industrial liquid.

Like Sp0rk says, see if you can get a new or one that's been used for food liquids - and I'd give the tap hole a good sniff before agreeing to purchase just to check its OK.

gregs said:
Time to draft an email to consumer affairs, send them the draft and tell them they have a week to respond.

After speaking with them to day they are going to refund me, if anyone is interested, go to their site " australia pacific world traders" and look up products and click the link to crevice free drum, it's the ducks guts but it's not what they send you. And then the trouble begins.

Cheers for the heads up gregs. Good to see you get a refund.
I think they are in taree if I remember correctly. Might just go up for the weekend. As for the fermenter I was just quickly looking around for the SS add and just posted up that one as a thought. Definately lots of one's locally used for food stuffs that I'd just go and pick up.

Latest posts

Back