Husky's 2.5BBL Collaboration Brewery Build - 3V 300L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh you old people..... you need to discover the beauty of reddit and the communal humour threads can have..

\,,/^_^\,,/

You two have a romance brewing?:rolleyes: .... I'll be voting yes just for you guys;)
Hey if that's your jam, but if you're not excited by husky's -quite frankly, provocative stainless displays.
Then i put it to you, there's something wrong with you.

I think you might be mis-reading the signs here MJ

Geez a month goes quick. Not much progress on the brewery itself however have put about 100hrs into the programming.
I decided to put a form of HERMS/RIMS on it so that I have something to play with. It's basically an oil filled tube with a 4500W heater and an outer tube for the wort to flow past. The programming time has been mostly on the cascade control loop that I want to try for the HERMS which should better control temperature than a single PID loop. I used motor oil for the trial so I can get good temp rises by running the oil up to 150 degC.
The cascade controller uses a master loop that looks at the wort outlet temperature and sends the CV of that loop to the setpoint of the second loop which controls the temperature of the oil in the HERMS, should give me plenty to play around with.

I did a trial run manually switching things a few weeks ago and it was super fun. Turned out around 150L of 1.052 from 25odd kg of grain. Really liked the replicated micro process and using 3V again, so awesome is 3V!.
Brew day went well except I didn't calc for temp drop once grain was added. I just assumed 2 deg as per my 1V but with the thicker mash obviously needs to be way hotter before grain added, like 8 or 9 degrees next time. Rookie mistake. It did give me a chance to test ramping the mash temp. Ramped from 60 to 66 using the two MT heat belts and the HERMS in about 20 mins manually switching on and off heaters which was a real pain, need the PLC up and running.

The boil using gas was good(was reluctant to go gas), hit 10% boil off rate using 25psi on a single banjo burner. Still think I will go 2 x 5kw elements in the kettle when I get the shed power upgraded.

Ran the HLT at 80 deg and bled in cold on the way to MT to hit target temp worked well.
Clean up was pretty easy with a pressure washer then it was off to visit some breweries and Yobs, all in all one of the better days of the year.

The lauter worked well although I think I should have recirced longer and faster to clear up better. I spent about an hr laugtering but with the 4 x outlets on the base of the MT suspect I can go a lot faster which I will try next time. There is a vid below showing the junk going into the kettle that I will try have the grain bed better filter out next time. Gravity lauter to kettle was just as good as I thought, I used a diaphragm valve to slow the lauter rate to what I was happy with.

With the PLC program nearly done and bench tested it's time to focus on electrical panel build for the next month or so and hopefully fire up properly by Xmas. I have a metric shit tonne of grain after the recent BB to chew through and I drink bugger all these days so going to need help removing cubes! Have a couple of RIS's planned first up which will really test it out.

Anyways some pics to explain progress better:

IMG_0291 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Screenshots.JPG

screenshots1.JPG

<iframe width="480" height="270" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="270" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*heavy breathing* @husky your temp probe in the mash, what is it/ how have you made that, if i may ask?
looks great, like everything else.

It's a mobile temp probe that I have put on a 2m cable so I can move it around the mash tun similar to a temp gauge except being wired to the PLC I can switch the HERMS PID loop to look at this probe as well during the mash and use the average temperature of all 3 x probes and not just rely on one probe. I noticed a temp diff between the probe reading the temp 50mm from the side of the MT and the one reading 150mm in. This one lets me probe the whole mash as well as the two fixed probes. I actually stole it from the 1V setup where it does the same thing, very handy I have found.

http://www.ifm.com/products/us/ds/TD2297.htm

Ok! I'll travel to watch this thing in action, hell I'll even clean out the mash for you. That is freakin awesome Husky!!

RE RIS : your going to need a barrel program!

Super ****!ng impressed with how this has turned out! pretty much exactly as I envisaged it from day 1. Budget constraints have slowed progress unfortunately, bad time of year and already over what I forecast to spend so now looking like a Jan finish hopefully.
Since last update I have insulated the MT base, completed running all conduits and cables as well as finished most of the mechanical items. It's all pretty much complete except for the electrical panel which is surprising me with the cost of components. I have been buying them bit by bit but now waiting until I find a second hand panel complete somewhere so I can strip the internals and use all the terminals, switches, MCCB etc as buying individual is adding up to crazy amounts. I have seen plenty around so shouldn't take too long.
Some current pics:

20171118_161021.jpg 20171118_161226.jpg 20171118_161611.jpg 20171118_161635.jpg IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

Original plan was heat belt only(it's 3kw) to maintain and possibly ramp as it seemed like a good idea at the time. The HX was a last minute addition so I had something to play with in the PLC otherwise the automation was very simple. Not sure what I will actually use, initially will try the HX to recirc and ramp and for clarity reasons. The heat belt is on PWM so will start at a low % just to negate the heat loss out the side since it's not insulated. Really just for full flexibility and to have more toys to play with. The original MT design has a pumped water jacket but that just seemed like massive overkill. If the HX works well(being an un tested design) then I will likely get rid of the heat belt and insulate the MT so it can also have shiny stainless cladding.

You're welcome to use it once operational MJ! I sure as shit don't need that much wort! I missed your older post re barrel program, have 220L barrel I need to fill, just trying to sort out a big ass fermenter so I can fill it with RIS on one hit!

Super ****!ng impressed with how this has turned out! pretty much exactly as I envisaged it from day 1. Budget constraints have slowed progress unfortunately, bad time of year and already over what I forecast to spend so now looking like a Jan finish hopefully.
Since last update I have insulated the MT base, completed running all conduits and cables as well as finished most of the mechanical items. It's all pretty much complete except for the electrical panel which is surprising me with the cost of components. I have been buying them bit by bit but now waiting until I find a second hand panel complete somewhere so I can strip the internals and use all the terminals, switches, MCCB etc as buying individual is adding up to crazy amounts. I have seen plenty around so shouldn't take too long.
Some current pics:

View attachment 109841 View attachment 109842 View attachment 109843 View attachment 109844 View attachment 109845 View attachment 109846 View attachment 109847 View attachment 109848 View attachment 109849 View attachment 109850
Son, you have a disease. A beautiful disease.

I feel like Tyrone the Dave Chappelle meth addict character looking at that, wanting to touch and smell it, just gimme one hit!

Very very well done, *slow firm clapping*

Latest posts

Back