2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just in Masters Hardware (Cranbourne) heaps of cheap garden stuff; soaker hoses, fittings etc.
The plumbing section is all 60% off (as is the electrical section) I bought a couple of much needed 30m hoses and deluxe sprayer trigger things. Think I'll do some thinking/pondering first then go back and get some bits and pieces to make up a semi auto watering system.

Rocker1986 said:
Not sure what that might be, but is there any bugs or shit on the underside of the leaves? Mine started looking unhealthy recently, thought it might have been some disease or deficiency somewhere, nope. Checked underside of the leaves. ******* caterpillars.

Belgrave Brewer said:
I'd check for the obvious things like catepillars, aphids, etc. first. It looks like the leaves are being tapped.

Nothing at all, that we can see.

From Googling, I suspect some sort of leaf spot fungus. We'll avoid getting the leaves wet when watering from now on. Not sure whether I need to treat them, or even destroy the infected plants, or just let the infected leaves die off and keep everything else as dry as possible.

my hop plants failed. They sprouted about a week after they went in the ground but they seemed to get trampled/eaten by something. they were really fragile and weak. Even after I put a fence up they still seemed to get knocked around by something. Then the remnants just shrivelled up and died. oh well.

That's a shame!

Mine sprouted up and have sort of stopped growing for now, however in the last day or so I've noticed my Hallertau has started sprouting fresh shoots, there are 3 or 4 of them, and I think the Cascade has a new one popping up as well. Might help if this stupid weather would just stay in the high 20s maximums instead of dropping back to low 20s for a day or two every few days. Bloody annoying.

Hi all. What's the best way to ween out bines and select the strongest to go forth and make me some hops? Which ones should I clip out. I've got them in a big pot. I've got five strings for them to climb but about 25 bines reaching for the stars.

kaiserben said:
Nothing at all, that we can see.

From Googling, I suspect some sort of leaf spot fungus. We'll avoid getting the leaves wet when watering from now on. Not sure whether I need to treat them, or even destroy the infected plants, or just let the infected leaves die off and keep everything else as dry as possible.
If it is a fungus, you'll want to carefully cut all affected leaves away and remove from the area as it can spread.

Coodgee said:
my hop plants failed. They sprouted about a week after they went in the ground but they seemed to get trampled/eaten by something. they were really fragile and weak. Even after I put a fence up they still seemed to get knocked around by something. Then the remnants just shrivelled up and died. oh well.
There's a good chance some will sprout again if the rhizomes had multiple buds. I'd figure out what is eating/trampling them and work out how to stop it as you may be surprised on a second coming from your hops.

Rocker1986 said:
That's a shame!

Mine sprouted up and have sort of stopped growing for now, however in the last day or so I've noticed my Hallertau has started sprouting fresh shoots, there are 3 or 4 of them, and I think the Cascade has a new one popping up as well. Might help if this stupid weather would just stay in the high 20s maximums instead of dropping back to low 20s for a day or two every few days. Bloody annoying.
Patience. If they.re up, they are just waiting for the day to get longer before shooting upwards. I have good growth above the ground, but very little has shot towards the sky.

Victoria, Cascade and Chinook. Victoria and Cascade came up weeks before the Chinook and have slowly been filling out with very little movement upwards. Chinook has just come out to play and is shooting straight for the sky. Amazing how different they are.

Victoria.jpg

Cascade.jpg

Chinook.jpg

kaiserben said:
attachicon.gif
hop_spots.jpg

I'm a bit worried about the brown spots on the leaves of a few of my plants. Is this something I need to worry about?
They kind of look stunted too, maybe shocked. Have you fertilized them heavily? I think its a common fault of new eager growers. to over fertilize to early and burn or shock the roots.
and definitely don't get water on the leaves on a sunny day that can burn them like that too. Droplets can burn like a magnifying glass.

Belgrave Brewer said:
Patience. If they.re up, they are just waiting for the day to get longer before shooting upwards. I have good growth above the ground, but very little has shot towards the sky.
Yeah I'm not in any hurry, last season they didn't go mad until late December/early January. Just keeping up the watering at the moment. I had another look today and there appears to be a number of shoots getting ready. Interestingly the first bine that stuck its head up ended up climbing all the way up the 3m trellis. It looks kind of funny with one long bine and similar ground level growth to your pics surrounding it :lol:

The varying temperature is more annoying me personally.. one day it's warm, the next it's cold etc. It's unusual for up here.

The mt hood is heading for the sky.
The chinook is following nicely.
I think I must have fluked the soil mix.
It's mostly composted grain and grass clippings with a bag of Bunnings potting mix. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477456293.010466.jpg

Danscraftbeer said:
They kind of look stunted too, maybe shocked. Have you fertilized them heavily? I think its a common fault of new eager growers. to over fertilize to early and burn or shock the roots.
and definitely don't get water on the leaves on a sunny day that can burn them like that too. Droplets can burn like a magnifying glass.
The water droplets on a sunny day has been debunked. They'd need to be sitting 5mm above a leaf for them to concentrate sunlight and burn a plant. Water on leaves overnight daily from watering late however can cause problems.

Rocker1986 said:
Yeah I'm not in any hurry, last season they didn't go mad until late December/early January. Just keeping up the watering at the moment. I had another look today and there appears to be a number of shoots getting ready. Interestingly the first bine that stuck its head up ended up climbing all the way up the 3m trellis. It looks kind of funny with one long bine and similar ground level growth to your pics surrounding it :lol:

The varying temperature is more annoying me personally.. one day it's warm, the next it's cold etc. It's unusual for up here.
They tend to stop growing vertically around the summer solstice and start working on laterals. Plenty of time for them to reach their height. If that 1st 3m bine is second year, I'd be cutting it off as it is a bullshoot and won't produce near the crop as the second coming of bines. :)

It is a second year, yeah. The plant was in a pot last year but I moved the crown to a bigger home over the winter. So just chop the whole bine off at ground level or so?

Rocker1986 said:
It is a second year, yeah. The plant was in a pot last year but I moved the crown to a bigger home over the winter. So just chop the whole bine off at ground level or so?
If you have plenty to work with that's what I'd be doing. They have longer inter nodal spaces so yield will be less, and are meant to break easier as they are more hollow in the center.

Thanks mate. I'll keep an eye on these shoots that are popping their heads out, and also if more appear. If it looks like there will be a good number of them then I'll go and chop that tall one. it has a shoot coming out of it right near the soil too actually, so if I chop it off above that it should focus its energy more on the new shoot it has, I'm guessing?

My shoulder hurts....and only half way through stringing....oh well nothing a couple of bevvies wont fix!

So I just went ahead and mulched my crowns with Upsurge.....burnt all the grass off....and they love it....screw weeding ;)

14702433_1220783994660934_8969301599859059423_n.jpg

14695368_1220783931327607_524969166312035590_n.jpg

14670652_1220783841327616_1724088706548864183_n.jpg

14716037_1222026434536690_2226920647984436931_n.jpg

14657514_1222026374536696_8883423885515309424_n.jpg

14717093_1222026494536684_1670938582833615329_n.jpg

14859360_10154649607681660_1328328383_o.jpg

14881667_10154649607001660_682849768_o.jpg

Growing faster than anticipated. I will need to erect my other structure sooner than later so the Cascade doesn't grow into the Chinook section

1477886563721.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back