2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camo6 said:
Not what I want to hear. The old stuff was the bomb.
The old stuff also used to state that it contained minerals and such found on the moon. I used the old formula with my first year crop and it outperformed 2 part Canna solutions. I brought the new stuff for 2nd year cropping and it actually caused burning.

07102016.jpg

First year hops.
Clockwise from right:
Cascade (something has been chewing the leaves overnight)
Chinhook
Chinhook

Does anyone know what this is on my cascade plant?

IMG_20161007_170342-768x1024.jpg

Futur said:
Does anyone know what this is on my cascade plant?
Caterpillar or grass hopper chewing on your leaves, check the underside of your leaves the little bugger may still be there, i found a small grass hopper on mine.

ein stein said:
Caterpillar or grass hopper chewing on your leaves, check the underside of your leaves the little bugger may still be there, i found a small grass hopper on mine.
Great, thanks! :)

I wonder what's going on with my Victoria plants... Still have a couple of dozen shoots from the main plant but have had for over a month now and none are above 6 inches yet; have some small leaves emerging from the harvested rhizomes but nothing substantial.

Close to full sun from 9am-5pm, leaves are bright green in colour, soil is primarily potting mix conditioned with cow + chicken manure... In large concrete pots that seem to be well-drained, have had great success with chilli plants in the same pots before so I don't think wet feet is the problem.

What am I missing?

Fair enough DrSmurto, can't ask for advice from a more credentialed source so I'll just have to wait and see.

If they look that healthy above ground but aren't growing much the growth is happening underground in the root system.
Preparing for the above ground performance. B)

Clockwise. Both Hemispheres. I've probably done more research than needed on this subject. I've seen conflicting evidence to this which was later corrected.

All of my hop plants are bursting with growth, other than Chinook and Centennial which have yet to arise. No vertical growth yet, they are just sitting around and waiting for the right time to surge. This is what they do, so be patient as Dr Smurto has said...they'll start growing soon.

I thought I read somewhere that during the day they lean towards the sun and follow it from east to west and straighten up at night. If the sun is to the south this causes them to wind anticlockwise and in Australia they tend to wind clockwise.......

hidara said:
I thought I read somewhere that during the day they lean towards the sun and follow it from east to west and straighten up at night. If the sun is to the south this causes them to wind anticlockwise and in Australia they tend to wind clockwise.......
And this is where assumptions were made, in writing. Hops will follow the sun, but they will do so in a clockwise motion. The hop plant will follow its natural tendency first, and the sun second. The clockwise motion is viewed from above.

Finally put up the trellis last night, tying off the last strings now. Went with jute from Bunnings... Maybe not a great idea, single strands pulled apart with a bit of effort, so i used 4 individual strands per line. Beam at top stands a modest 4.2m high. I went higher with bamboo last year and it was just a pain to stabilise. Will work on the second trellis today, if I get the chance.

1475900262448.jpg

It's a bit over due, first shoots erupted almost 2 weeks ago. One week ago it looked like this:
1475900316290.jpg

Currently looks like this with around 40 shoots coming up. Needless to say the cull will be ruthless.
1475900276810.jpg

@Mofox, I take it the cat5e didn't give you as quick a growth as expected?

I used the thicker twine from Bunnings doubled over and twisted in a drill and am reusing it this year as it's still fine.
Now that I've repotted some zomes in the new veggie patch I might get a decent yield this year.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475916168.921759.jpg
Got a little Victoria in a pot that is free to a good home. Pick up Melbourne/Northern Suburbs/Possibly anywhere as work is all over the shop at the moment. Cheers. [emoji481][emoji481]

Camo6 said:
@Mofox, I take it the cat5e didn't give you as quick a growth as expected?

I used the thicker twine from Bunnings doubled over and twisted in a drill and am reusing it this year as it's still fine.
Now that I've repotted some zomes in the new veggie patch I might get a decent yield this year.
Jeez... you got a good memory - I think that was from a couple years ago. I'd really like to go wireless, but just can't see it happening. :p

Wind is blowing around quite strong out now, and the frame is rock solid. Next year I will find some decent agri quality sisal baling twine.

Edit - I hope you've put some brick / concrete barriers around the hops, otherwise the vegie garden will just be the hop garden next year!! Two years growth and I saw runners coming out 2 - 3m away from the plant.

mofox1 said:
Jeez... you got a good memory - I think that was from a couple years ago. I'd really like to go wireless, but just can't see it happening. :p

Wind is blowing around quite strong out now, and the frame is rock solid. Next year I will find some decent agri quality sisal baling twine.

Edit - I hope you've put some brick / concrete barriers around the hops, otherwise the vegie garden will just be the hop garden next year!! Two years growth and I saw runners coming out 2 - 3m away from the plant.
Haha. I've tried wireless broadbean but had better results with cable.

Yeah, made sure they are contained. I was using 2 halves of a 200l drum and I just cut the bottoms out and used them as containers. Should be easy to catch any strays.
I'm also considering just replanting every couple of years. My best yields seem to be in the first couple of harvests although this might change now they can dig a bit deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back