2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, just read the post further up the page about layering properly. I was more thinking of when to cut sections of bines and bury them in the same spot to try and grow another plant. Layering actually sounds like a better plan.

So I've got some second year POR and Cascade. What's the go with pruning back the first shoots etc? Can I dip these in root powder and try to strike them?

So after an embarrassing false start we have some action on both plants.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475216598.150412.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475216620.664984.jpg

it won't take long. I've got shoots up with leaves on all my plants. the tallest is at 5 inches. i need to get my strings up tomorrow.

I'm tying a string a day at the moment.
I hope to make a nice shade canopy of hops over my tiny backyard. Eco Cooling for the back of my house with the brewing bonus.

Those Zhomes you gave me are off to a good start DansCB, combined with my other plant I got off Belgrave Brewer last year, I should have a little wall of 'Victoria' happening in the back yard.

In the latest issue of Practicle Hydroponics.com.au is an article on hydroponic hop growing.

Danscraftbeer said:
I hope to make a nice shade canopy of hops over my tiny backyard. Eco Cooling for the back of my house with the brewing bonus.
Just the best shade plant ever for the side of a house. Fast growing. Make hops. Die off in Autumn. Dropped the temp in our sun-facing rooms by about 5C.

Mine are all going nicely and the weather is beginning to warm up properly now too so hopefully that means some more growth occurring.

First year Cascade is slower than the others as expected, but is heading in the right direction.

Hallertau in the second photo has the one bine all the way to the top while the rest of it isn't doing much. The short bine to the left of it had its end chewed off by something recently and has just begun to re-shoot up from that point.

And the Fuggle plant in the pot is going nuts as well. Rather a contrast to last season where it was nothing like this, being a first year then as well.

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

Damn Rocker, you have me worried now. I planted mine in August and haven't seen any activity yet. Watered and fertilized regular with Seasol but probably not getting as much sun as they would like (given a vicious tree branch blocking their sun in the afternoon). Maybe my brown thumb is thrashing my eternal optimism in my gardening skill once again... I just want them to grow :(

Seasol is great, but it isn't actually a fertiliser. It's a soil conditioner, and helps the plants utilise nutrients in the soil. The Seasol company does make fertilisers, but they're labelled as such. Get yourself some dynamic lifter pellets for fertiliser. Make sure your hops are never in standing water. Hops love water, but hate wet feet.

menoetes said:
Damn Rocker, you have me worried now. I planted mine in August and haven't seen any activity yet. Watered and fertilized regular with Seasol but probably not getting as much sun as they would like (given a vicious tree branch blocking their sun in the afternoon). Maybe my brown thumb is thrashing my eternal optimism in my gardening skill once again... I just want them to grow :(
That's a shame mate! I think my Cascade one was planted in August too, or maybe late July, can't exactly remember but somewhere around there. The other two are 2nd year plants. How far below the surface did you put the rhizome(s)? I planted mine about an inch below. Just in potting mix mostly, along with a bit of chook poo and some Osmocote herb fertiliser once they shot up a bit. The two big plots get sun most of the day, but the potted one gets shaded in the mid/late arvo from trees in the neighbours' yards. Hasn't appeared to slow it down though.

14536822_10154604184272959_1893320995_o.jpg

Anything to worry about with those leaves? I didn't notice any insects. 24 hours earlier the leaves were green and intact.

(I'll just point out that the only time they get wet/watered is at sunset)

kaiserben said:
attachicon.gif
14536822_10154604184272959_1893320995_o.jpg

Anything to worry about with those leaves? I didn't notice any insects. 24 hours earlier the leaves were green and intact.

(I'll just point out that the only time they get wet/watered is at sunset)
Don't water them at sunset...you're allowing moisture to be around overnight and that's not good. Try and water in the mornings so they have a good chance of being dry overnight.

Mardoo said:
Seasol is great, but it isn't actually a fertiliser. It's a soil conditioner, and helps the plants utilise nutrients in the soil. The Seasol company does make fertilisers, but they're labelled as such. Get yourself some dynamic lifter pellets for fertiliser. Make sure your hops are never in standing water. Hops love water, but hate wet feet.
My hop plantation (vegie patch, chook run and half the backyard) was underwater on the weekend due to the flooding. The Victoria seems to be fine, the Chinook emerged from the ground looking a little grumpy to be woken up with cold water. Time will tell how they deal with this but they have been copping it for the past week, it's been a swamp and is only now drying out.

In addition to cleaning up after the flood, I need to set up some string for the hops, Victoria is now about 30cm and reaching for the sky. All the fertiliser (horse manure and dynamic lifter) has been washed away along with the topsoil so will need to return some nutrients to the garden.

DrSmurto said:
My hop plantation (vegie patch, chook run and half the backyard) was underwater on the weekend due to the flooding. The Victoria seems to be fine, the Chinook emerged from the ground looking a little grumpy to be woken up with cold water. Time will tell how they deal with this but they have been copping it for the past week, it's been a swamp and is only now drying out.

In addition to cleaning up after the flood, I need to set up some string for the hops, Victoria is now about 30cm and reaching for the sky. All the fertiliser (horse manure and dynamic lifter) has been washed away along with the topsoil so will need to return some nutrients to the garden.
I'm feeling for you. I hope it dries out soon.

This may sound like a silly question, but do hops twist their way up the cord clockwise or anti or whatever way the want? I'm starting to train my 30cm high Chinook, but don't want to start it up the wrong way round...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back