2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one of my Saaz entering the world. I have Saaz poking out of 4 of my 5 mounds and my Cascades are juuuuuust breaking the surface. With all the wind we've had here over the past week they sure are thirsty!
14240707_161831060925553_884674555_n.jpg

cascade_20160907.jpg

Cascade. 9 out of 14 mounds have shoots. Only single shoots so far. Some up to 5cm long now.

tettnang_20160907.jpg

Tettnang. All 4 mounds have shoots. 2 have multiple shoots. The other 2 have single shoots.

No action when I checked the mounds this morning but came home this arvo to find the first year Zhomes have began to emerge.

Cascade
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yobs Columbus
image.jpeg

Still more to pop yet, looks like I'll be running some strings this weekend:)

It's interesting to note the different climates and how they grow/begin to shoot depending on location. Can't really tell in the photos I posted but my two 2nd year plants are already about a metre out of the ground up the lines, and the first year Cascade is about half that tall at the moment. They began shooting up probably about a month ago now, except the Cascade which was later.

My Chinooks are also still sleeping here in Canberra.

Rocker1986 said:
It's interesting to note the different climates and how they grow/begin to shoot depending on location.
Also need to factor in how long they've been in the ground of course.

My first shoots appeared bang on 3 weeks after planting. And latest photos are 4 and a half weeks since planting.

Yes good point too. My Cascade took about 5 or 6 weeks after planting for its first shoot to appear. It was planted early-mid July. The existing second year plants began shooting about mid-late July and have just kept going up since.

I had a left over tettnang rhizome, so I bought a big pot and some potting mix. 1 week after I planted those 18 other rhizomes I planted the spare in the pot and put it on my apartment's (north-facing) balcony.

2 shoots have appeared there.

In Gloucester, NSW and most of my varieties have popped there heads out. So far the Cascade and Victoria are the most active. Growth of probably close to 1m in several of the Victoria.

Saaz, Perle, Tettnanger, US Goldings, Hallertau, Columbus and Chinook have all put out a shoot.

No activity yet from EKG and Centennial.

Yob said:
I have no RIS available :(
Have RIS, will send, stay calm.

ED: avoid hair amber fluids with horns, this will only increase with-drawl side effects.

Well, I finally have some show! My 2nd year Willamette has gone positively apeshit, with 40+ shoots that have broken the surface in the last week (most only just). Looks like that year of doing SFA last year did it some good.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473475764.326147.jpg
And finally my new Victoria has broken ground! After leaving it in the fridge for longer than I wanted to, it's been a slow starter. After watching for a few years now, I'm pretty confident that the longer you leave a rhizome in the fridge, the slower it starts. I've tried it a few times now, leaving some in the fridge longer and some shorter, and I'm anecdotally confident that this is the case. I'd guess it uses up its reserves more quickly out of soil than in.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1473476030.441460.jpg

2nd year growth, starting to see the beginnings of leaves. Victoria and Cascade in the lead, with Chinook trailing. No action from the Centennial yet, but they are rhizomes and only planted last week.

cascade1_10_9_16.jpg

cascade2_10_9_16.jpg

cascade3_10_9_16.jpg

cascade4_10_9_16.jpg

cascade5_10_9_16.jpg

I'm hoppy, I saw this at 7am this morning.image.jpg

Now at 3pm Cascade

I planted the root ******* thing in the middle of the pot about two and a half weeks ago and as you can see it has sprouted at the edge, so they must be on a mission to grow.
My Saaz and Dr Ruddi also raised their first shoots today and they were planted a few days after the Cascade.
I don't even know which hops I like yet, it's gunna be fun experimenting but.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 35
I've got a couple of POR that are budding but no more in Brisbane

Chinooks are up in Canberra this morning !
IMAG0129s.jpg

IMAG0130s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back