2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stu Brew said:
Not sure why so many people are planting in pots.....Wont work anywhere near as well as letting them go nuts by themselves in the ground!
Space is an issue for some, and possibly not wanting them to take over the whole place. I've moved mine from pots into bigger homes this season though. I agree they're better off in the ground but it's not practical in all situations.

10 holes averaging around 80-100 litres dug and prepped for this season, a little behind schedule from what I've read but it's good to have them done and dusted nonetheless. This rain is hopefully washing all the poo particles through the soil right now,

Rocker1986 said:
Space is an issue for some, and possibly not wanting them to take over the whole place. I've moved mine from pots into bigger homes this season though. I agree they're better off in the ground but it's not practical in all situations.
Ill take my hat off to anyone that can grow a first year rhizomes that takes over their place.....I mean I could....but the soil down the back and sun aspect is far better than here....Maybe if I was in Tassy with a 4x4m back yard id be worried ;) that said...they do grow well in the right spot! I highly doubt you'll have issues in a standard backyard though....as hard as you can grow one! Just my two sense worth....go as hard as you can...and if it goes really well, all you'll actually get is lots of cones and lots of rhizomes...... which is good all round!

Yob said:
Only dwarf cluster grows in Australia I'm told by somewhat reliable sources
Righto, they were sold to me as cluster last year by your best mate hoppy2B ;) so I am none the wiser!

Had a dig around in a couple of my pots from last year this morning.

These two plants were grown from cuttings last year. All I did was trim, dip the end in root growing powder, then poked my finger into the prepared soil, then stuck the end of the cutting in.
I took the cuttings, as i was thinning the shoots out to around 4 per line. These ones would have made it to the compost heap otherwise.

Watered as per the other main plants and look what they turn into.
View attachment 89757
This one is a chinook

IMG_4013.JPG
And this one is a columbus

Planning on giving them away to a mate so he can start his own plantation.
Pretty sure i have a few more clones lurking in with the main plant beds too!

Attachments

• IMG_4012.JPG
    IMG_4012.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 88
Alex.Tas said:
Had a dig around in a couple of my pots from last year this morning.

These two plants were grown from cuttings last year. All I did was trim, dip the end in root growing powder, then poked my finger into the prepared soil, then stuck the end of the cutting in.
I took the cuttings, as i was thinning the shoots out to around 4 per line. These ones would have made it to the compost heap otherwise.

Watered as per the other main plants and look what they turn into.
attachicon.gif
IMG_4012.JPG
This one is a chinook

attachicon.gif
IMG_4013.JPG
And this one is a columbus

Planning on giving them away to a mate so he can start his own plantation.
Pretty sure i have a few more clones lurking in with the main plant beds too!
Yeah good stuff. I have purchased an aeroponic cloner. I root them then put them into pots. I got a really really late start on it last year....and I didnt have a greenhouse setup either. The whole first batch of shoots are going to get cut and cloned this year....so hopefully this is how im going to end up with 60 columbus from 20 last season, with a few extra rhizomes I dig. I like to hear about stuff like this! I did one 50L pot with Columbus just to see how they would go. I got about 20 rhizomes out of the one pot...the plant performed like arse though...grew all of 200g of hops cones...but I was more experimenting to see how they would go in terms of easily producing rhizomes which was rather effective.

Hey all, I'm working out the ideal spot for my first run at this. Just wondering if people in Sydney plant in full sun. I understand that it can get a bit hot for them in summer and some try and get the end of day heat off them by putting them in part shade.

Any experience shared would be welcome.

I'm in Brisbane which probably doesn't help you much, but mine were in pretty much full sun last season and had no problems. Having said that, they are on the western side of the yard, and behind them as you'll see in the following photos is a lot of trees, so they do get shaded towards the end of the day more. Last year they were in pots but this year I've built these larger beds and trellises. There are braces on one of them but they can't really be seen because of the light. I have to get up and do the other one soon too, and fix the lines in the Cascade bed. On the left is a 2nd year Hallertau that was moved from a pot, and on the right is a first year Cascade, with the rhizome planted a couple of weeks ago. The other pot has a 2nd year Fuggles plant and was moved to another location in the yard but kept in its pot. I figured the hops I'll use the most of might as well have the biggest homes. :p Now just to wait for the warmer weather!

13716250_10210397351878712_3130865882548117288_n.jpg

13645208_10210397352438726_6229855604490332995_n.jpg

Those are some sexy looking raised beds Rocker :) and I'm not sure I've ever described raised beds as sexy before ;)

Rocker1986 said:
I'm in Brisbane which probably doesn't help you much, but mine were in pretty much full sun last season and had no problems. Having said that, they are on the western side of the yard, and behind them as you'll see in the following photos is a lot of trees, so they do get shaded towards the end of the day more. Last year they were in pots but this year I've built these larger beds and trellises. There are braces on one of them but they can't really be seen because of the light. I have to get up and do the other one soon too, and fix the lines in the Cascade bed. On the left is a 2nd year Hallertau that was moved from a pot, and on the right is a first year Cascade, with the rhizome planted a couple of weeks ago. The other pot has a 2nd year Fuggles plant and was moved to another location in the yard but kept in its pot. I figured the hops I'll use the most of might as well have the biggest homes. :p Now just to wait for the warmer weather!

13716250_10210397351878712_3130865882548117288_n.jpg

13645208_10210397352438726_6229855604490332995_n.jpg

Love where it's going, does look like you'll need bigger posts to get higher though, I'm working on a design to do similar posts myself, essentially hinged so I can lower the whole thing for harvest, will pass it on to you when I've completed it

Cheers Matplat and Yob; and also for the design for the posts when it's ready too. I'm not sure how high I'll go here, they're about 3 metres above the soil currently, however, when I get my own place one day and (hopefully) set up a hop garden there, will certainly be useful for sure. Better make sure I find somewhere with a big yard... :lol:

Forgot to mention, the mesh covering them is there to protect them from being dug up by arsehole critters like turkeys or possums or whatever else.

Rocker1986 said:
Forgot to mention, the mesh covering them is there to protect them from being dug up by arsehole critters like turkeys or possums or whatever else.
Dunno if I've mentioned already; I originally bought chicken wire to fence-in my hop garden, but after seeing your photos I'm going to forget the fence idea and just lay and weigh down the chicken wire over my hop mounds.

Maybe a bit late now rocker but 2 bolts in each upright, the bottom one with a nyloc nut you would have been able to pivot the posts to lower the frame had it been higher, but at that height your not going to have a problem.

kaiserben said:
Dunno if I've mentioned already; I originally bought chicken wire to fence-in my hop garden, but after seeing your photos I'm going to forget the fence idea and just lay and weigh down the chicken wire over my hop mounds.
Makes them a bitch to weed, make sure your mulch is good and thick prior ;)

kaiserben said:
Cool, that should work pretty well. The good thing about this mesh stuff I have (which was just lying around unused) is that it's heavy enough to hold itself down aside from that bent piece that I have the brick on, but light enough to be lifted up to get at any weeds or whatever.

wide eyed and legless said:
Maybe a bit late now rocker but 2 bolts in each upright, the bottom one with a nyloc nut you would have been able to pivot the posts to lower the frame had it been higher, but at that height your not going to have a problem.
Yeah they're pretty much set in place now, but either a ladder or some cutters should make it pretty easy to get at the flowers near the top when it's time next year.

What sort of trellis height should I be looking at?

Would 4m above ground (so a 5m post with 1m cemented below ground) be tall enough?

And how on earth do I get posts that size to my garden? (my car won't help. I doubt a ute would be long enough. Does Bunnings deliver?)

EDIT:
Oh - and can anyone recommend a cheap post? What material and what sort of width should I be looking at?)

I've seen lots of folks put together great trellises with bamboo. Key is guy wires. They don't have to hold a huge amount of weight but have to stand up to wind. Hops turn any frame into a bit of a sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back