2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgrave Brewer said:
Spent the last few weekends weeding and feeding. Composted horse shit & sheep shit, blood and bone, and pelletised chicken manure on top of the mounds. I'll mulch the tops soon.
If you are growing organic and want to kill the grass between your rows of hops you can spray with vinegar. You can add some salt to the mix if you want to dilute the vinegar down a bit and make it go further.

hoppy2B said:
If you are growing organic and want to kill the grass between your rows of hops you can spray with vinegar. You can add some salt to the mix if you want to dilute the vinegar down a bit and make it go further.
So Vinegar and Salt? Dilute with water or not.

Belgrave Brewer said:
So Vinegar and Salt? Dilute with water or not.
I don't know the exact proportions that you can dilute down to. You will need to experiment. It will depend on how much salt you put into it. If you are spraying a lot of salt it can build up in the soil apparently.

hoppy2B said:
I don't know the exact proportions that you can dilute down to. You will need to experiment. It will depend on how much salt you put into it. If you are spraying a lot of salt it can build up in the soil apparently.
Ok, I'll pass on that idea.

I'll save the salt and vinegar for my fish & chips.

hoppy2B said:
This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read in a plantations thread..

You could also use sulphuric acid.. But would you?

Really...

hoppy2B said:
Why not just use David Avocado Wolfe's tears?

About salt and vinegar:

Vinegar is biodegradable and won't last long in soil, let alone build up.

Salt accumulation is a well-known hazard for irrigated farms even where the water contains only traces. Prevention and cure is flushing the salt out of topsoil. So salt accumulation is most likely where the climate is dry and soil drainage poor. If drainage is good, growers sometimes flush built-up salt down by flooding.

Personally, I'd never apply salt to a garden.

I've had a vineyard and used mulch fairly successfully to control weeds, but that was in a land free from kikuyu grass. What idiot brought that in?

Whether plastic mulch fits your definition of organic, it would be effective, except kikuyu would probably find an opening next to the emerging hop vine.

DrSmurto said:
Why not just use David Avocado Wolfe's tears?
Are you retarded or something? Can't come up with anything other than derogatory dribble?

Yob said:
This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read in a plantations thread..

You could also use sulphuric acid.. But would you?

Really...
Could you cease and desist with your offensive derogatory comments? Vinegar is used by organic growers to kill weeds.

hoppy2B said:
Are you retarded or something? Can't come up with anything other than derogatory dribble?
Maybe, the jury is still out on that but when i see bullshit organic gardening tips I respond with the king of all natural bullshit, Mr David Avocado Wolfe.

Vinegar does 4/5ths of **** all useful in the garden, unless you are trying to change the pH in a very small area. Your suggestion of adding an acid and salt to soil is what i would think of as retarded advice. But then organic gardening in general is full of natural news bullshit, covered in lipstick and presented as science. Vinegar has an impact on the above ground growth only. If you want to argue this fact, provide some evidence. Until then, I'll continue to call out your dwarf hop growing advice as bullshit.

hoppy2B said:
Could you cease and desist with your offensive derogatory comments? Vinegar is used by organic growers to kill weeds.
I don't believe it offensive to call that statement idiotic, merely an observation ofthe plain absolute truth.

As a farmer, which I understand you are, telling someone trying to grow things to "salt the earth" is not only an idiotic statement, it simply beggars belief that you weren't fishing for this sort of response.

You will note, I've not made any personal attacks on your good fine self, merely debunking that astonishing post for which I have no understanding or grasp of why in the name of all that's holy, that you'd make.

Just use boiling hot water if you can get it in the required quantity?? Might be too difficult

I don't know why you'd want to kill the middle strip to be honest, so you had a dry dust bowl come summer? To aid in topsoil erosion?

You know what I always find helps with grass?

A ******* lawn mower... lol

Moving some crowns around its still WAY to early here. They're very much still in dormancy. I will plant when the soil starts to warm up a fair bit more. We'll still get some cold cold nights between now and mid August. Not sure why so many people are planting in pots.....Wont work anywhere near as well as letting them go nuts by themselves in the ground!

Ive had the sheep running in the orchard so got my nitrogen fixing sorted and weeding sorted with approximately zero effort. We've had 378mm of rain since the start of March.... and my crowns have swollen into some monstrous things.....

Pulled out a bunch of plum trees a few weeks back, need to pull stumps put up new poles, till, plant and then get the wires up....going to be a big year for us!

These crowns were 8 inch rhizomes last year....I think htye're a little bit happy!

Dont forget your seamungus pellets when you plant your rhizomes....trust me it will make a MASSIVE difference adding a good couple of handfuls to the soil before you plants em!

Cheers

rhizome.jpg

Weed mat is good too....for weeds you know....its seriously cheap you can move it if you want.....takes about 20 mins to install.....get on it.

There will be more in a few weeks......much much much more!

hopsfromair.jpg

So this is the above marked off area......160 zomes are going in there @ 5-7m. Looks like I may be making up the numbers cloning the early shoots cause no yay for digging.....but should do alright still ;)

So plans this year. I have already sourced, 20 Target, 20 Chinook, 20 Cascade, 4 Red Earth, pretty much as much golding as I want and we have to sort out about 40 more Columbus and we're on the money! I got a couple of Tet and other from the Red Earth buy so yeah looks like a good year. Having a way bigger play this year! Should be doing something like 200kg minimum even if we get smashed by a storm....fingers crossed that doesnt happen!

Hopsfield.jpg

You want any cluster?

Only dwarf cluster grows in Australia I'm told by somewhat reliable sources

hoppy2B said:
This kind of comment, considering you have a history of similar is exactly why your posting privileges have been suspended for a week.
Please come back a nicer person or not at all. Abusive PMs to members do not help your cause.

Please return to topic everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back