2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Let's try this again......

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Victorian dead.

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest Victorians.

Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to brew. And you, good yeomen,
Whose limbs were made in Victoria, show us here

The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your brewing; which I doubt not;

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Beer, Victoria, and Saint George!'

OK, let's get the style & recipe suggestions going here so we've got a few months to sort-out requirements.

As a start, I'm going to suggest something that uses a swag of TF Pearl as the base (Now....If ONLY we could find a cheap source of the stuff right now.....Any ideas? B) ).

Yep, go the Pearl!!
And definitely go for something UK.

ESB, i reckon. An OSH clone!
Or a Celtic Red.

How about an UK-style IPA? ... You know it's gonna kill Yob to do an IPA without using kilos of New World hops :ph34r: :lol:

Actually, it's been a while since we cranked out a stout. Or we could try a Porter.

I'd be down with an ESB and an Old Speckled Hen clone sounds good. Porter would also be nice, but really am happy to go with the flow.

Mind if you put a VIC in the title?

English IPA? Damn's EIPA from the july swap 2yrs ago was a cracker. Challenger IPA?

Don't think I saw a recipe posted, might have to harass the good brewer.

n87 said:
Mind if you put a VIC in the title?
Oops!

Yob said:
Will be stout season right? How's about a stout?

American stout? Best of both worlds..
Stout I'd definitely be up-for. Adulterating a perfectly good stout with all those nasty, dirty, smelly, woefully fruity-stinking-Seppo hops would be a waste of their attributes. Bittering only IMHO.

Got a few Kg ya wanna get rid-of eh, Yob?

Hang-on! Let's add OATS & Flaked Barley & Raw Barley &....&......I'll go to bed early & leave the rest of you to sparge into the wee-smalls....

manticle said:
Ta everso Mants... :blush:

mofox1 said:
English IPA? Damn's EIPA from the july swap 2yrs ago was a cracker. Challenger IPA?

Don't think I saw a recipe posted, might have to harass the good brewer.
Damn fine (Pardon the pun) idea!

Your mission (should you choose to accept it - & you WILL, because you suggested it in the 1st-place :D ) is to harass said-brewer to lead the charge for this one.

I reckon keep it nice & simple, so we can concentrate on eating a shitload of food (NO ******* SALADS!), drinking beer & keeping warm (I'll bring the brazier if Wayne doesn't have a dedicated fire-pit available).

Not at all, I have a barrel full of stout but Im a firm believer in variety.. RIS, dry stout, FES, American,

I'd love to have 5 types of stout available

;)

I'd love to have a Foreign-Extra for a bit of winter fireside drinkie-poos sipping, as long as it's not TOO big (ie. about 6-7%). But it's not about me, but the collective.

Dunno why these things seem to want to get bigger & bigger with each iteration?

Do a basic dark grist, to be convertible to stout or Belgian dark strong. Would that be doable?
Say Pearl with biscuit/Amber, med Crystal, spec B, choc and/or RB. Fuggles and EKG (& warrior) at FWH. Other hops in cube per Brewers choice.
Could even brew to normal gravity, and the brewer can crank it with Candi syrup or dme/lme as desired.

Still a fan of ESB or EIPA, but I'd also be happy with a stout or (dark) Belgian strong.

Can't do an oats grist without manticle. It's against the rules. And who else will spend 4hrs elbow deep in the mashtun??
Also, I'm pretty sure Yob will boycott if we use oats. He was scarred from the last attempt.

I've been watching the other thread anxiously just waiting for someone to pull out... argh!!!!!!!!! Can't stand being on the bench! And holy shit I love stout!
Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 for the ESB or Damns EIPA

With all these beer styles surely we have more options than to have to do a stout again?

But then my vote probably shouldnt count because I have a tendency to pull out at the last minute.

Alrighty. ESB or EIPA it is then. :p

So that's 4 bags o'Pearl.
Yeah?

Who's hosting this shenanigans? Does Wayne have an opinion in this??

... FWIW, he has a pretty awesome Celtic Red recipe. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back