2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I was thinking .... But I didn't know

Looking at bottleo's bines I dont think he will be missing out on much with a few burrs instead of lats in a few spots

Not bragging as I feel it's way too early.

Luckily I have a shite load more rhizomes in the early stages too.
The main ones in bur have also got decent size laterals.

1446700178550.jpg

1446700222098.jpg

Okay I am bragging a little bit.
My laterals are bigger than some of your main bines boys

I am definitely yelling "I Hope you get burrs on your main bine!" out the window at someone next time i am angry in traffic.

BottloBill said:
Anyone else got burs on their bines?
They're not on the horizontal trained bit are they?

One of my plants did this last year and I put it down to treating it like sh!te:
  • I didn't prepare the soil.
  • I didn't water it enough.
  • It wasn't in a sunny position (a deciduous tree in front of it somehow grew lots of leaves in spring).
  • And I trained it near horizontally (despite it's best effort).

It rewarded me with ZERO laterals, and only a couple dozen hop cones along the bines that all matured at different times.

mofox1 said:

One of my plants did this last year and I put it down to treating it like sh!te:
  • It wasn't in a sunny position (a deciduous tree in front of it somehow grew lots of leaves in spring).
It rewarded me with ZERO laterals, and only a couple dozen hop cones along the bines that all matured at different times.
Yeah it's on the horizontal section, yes there is a tree blocking lower growth and no didn't do much soil prep. Did you get much growth out of them compared to what mine are showing?

mofox1 said:

You can train hop bines to grow horizontally and get plenty of flowers. I did this for a few years instead of building a trellis. Trained them up to 4m across a section of the chook yard. Pain in the arse as they had to be trained every day.

I now have a trellis but require the hop bines to find their own way to the trellis resulting in many bines growing along the ground. They still flower which makes picking easy.

DrSmurto said:
You can train hop bines to grow horizontally and get plenty of flowers. I did this for a few years instead of building a trellis. Trained them up to 4m across a section of the chook yard. Pain in the arse as they had to be trained every day.

I now have a trellis but require the hop bines to find their own way to the trellis resulting in many bines growing along the ground. They still flower which makes picking easy.
Drsmurto
Have you experienced anything like what my Chinook are doing at present, Being burs this early in the season?

BottloBill said:
Whilst on the subject of hops, check out the leaves on my hersbrucker.
the forking of the middle finger is on every leaf and it didn't show this sort of genetics last season:blink:

BottloBill said:
Yeah it's on the horizontal section, yes there is a tree blocking lower growth and no didn't do much soil prep. Did you get much growth out of them compared to what mine are showing?
Nah, not much growth at all. The actual bines would have been around 5 to 6m, grown to a vertical height of around 2m, but the lack of laterals just made it look thin.

BottloBill said:
Drsmurto
Have you experienced anything like what my Chinook are doing at present, Being burs this early in the season?
My Victoria has burrs on it. I don't keep a track of when flowering occurs so can't say whether that's normal.

I've got my pots set up how I want them now, and got shoots growing in both pots now as well. I was directed to a good article on growing them in pots earlier this morning so I'm confident it will work; in any case it will be a fun little experiment and if I get enough even only for one batch I'll be happy.

Very early stages of growth on the Fuggles, the Hallertau is just poking through the soil now; it also has 3 shoots on it but I didn't take a pic of it.

IMG_08851.JPG

IMG_08871.JPG

A bit of activity this week with all the rain. A couple of sunny days coming up so I'm expecting a burst in growth.

hops_a_7_11_15.jpg

hops_b_7_11_15.jpg

hops_c_7_11_15.jpg

Second year in a row...putting a squish on hop growth being limited by pots

Plus my defender of the Hops...Mr Mantis

Sixdemonbag said:

Second year in a row...putting a squish on hop growth being limited by pots

Plus my defender of the Hops...Mr Mantis
I take it you will be going bigger pots next season Sixdemonbag! Got to be some decent growth forming below the surface especially after such a healthy season last year and what looks to be a decent bit of growth this year

Getting some growth on both now. My "plantation" is very much in its infancy :lol: but nice to see them doing something. We've had a fair amount of rain over the weekend up here too which is good since I wasn't here to water them. They're probably around 3-4cm at the moment so babies but yeah.

Top: Fuggle; bottom: Hallertau

12193623_10208396147769860_6217756156331588467_n.jpg

12191974_10208396151649957_7594433934666667353_n.jpg

Back