2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spohaw said:
I'd think a neutral soil ph would be better then one way up around 9

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442879149.571065.jpg
It is, a neutral pH is seven, so keeping around that mark is ideal for hops, I was going to mention this to Hpal that those plants look a bit nutrient deficient so it would be worth his while to check his pH.

Yob said:
POR Has decided its time, this was takena few days ago and all of them are at least a few inches bigger than shown now... mulching is helping loads

attachicon.gif
POR.JPG
So is it gunna be the Pride or the Shame of Ringwood this season Yob?

We always live in hope for a pride...

Being in a pot still (poor ******* thing) it only takes one miss on a hot windy day to damage it but I'll be better this year and by next season it'll be in a permanent planter right next to the water tank.

HELP / ADVICE wanted!

I have a couple of hops plants that went in last year, planted at the base of a retaining wall - so they had lots of vertical space to grow & fullish sun.

However, I'm on a sloped block so all the ground moisture moves downwards and what I didn't plan for was how wet the ground stays at the base of the retaining wall.

Last year, some bines grew like demons early - but then stopped & died off. I assumed the roots were too damp & probably rotted away & I didn't think they'd survived, let alone give them any chance of surviving winter.

This year, some bines have popped out again & looking good - but the ground is super wet (prior to the rains even) ...

Sooooo, what should I do? There's no other good in-ground locations - should I transfer into big pots? Or leave them in the ground & try to draw away as much water from them?

gallery_26758_1243_207723.jpg

You could try digging a drainage ditch or put the the plants in the biggest pots you can get and make bigger holes in the bottom so the roots can go through, or another way is to make a raised bed, the rhyzomes grow laterally.

Dig them up and make an above ground planter box. You'll keep the crown dry but the roots can do whatever, this'll also help with spread

Your plant looks good jb , it might not be in as much trouble as you think

You could always just dig in something that drains better than what you have there , coir perlite or even some composted mulch

That will increase the air in the soil and might be ok

Might also be a drainage problem , a bit of wetta soil thrown around the joint might make the water go down instead of sticking around your rhizomes

I wouldn't be moving it now but

+1 for the perlite/vermiculite or similar and start again next year, who knows they may have settled a bit this time round fingers crossed. Take no notice of this bloke^^^^^above he get all his tips from me

Yob said:
Dig them up and make an above ground planter box. You'll keep the crown dry but the roots can do whatever, this'll also help with spread

+1 to this. They look like they're planted in mud from the above pic and not much grows well without drainage. If you can get your hands on a 200l plastic drum and cut it in half as well as adding some big drain holes you've got some inexpensive 100l pots that'll get you through the season. The auto dealership I used to work at usually had a few out the back that just needed a rinse of degreaser.

Mine aren't growing much

Had to remove all the mulch , ants had made a home in it .... I hate ants

Time for the chilli water drenching I think

I'll put the mulch back on it when it starts gettin hot but

All my hops are at different stages.

Pride of Ringwood has taken off.
POR-250915.jpg

Cascade and Perle have poked their heads up.
No sign of Saaz yet... always been a late riser but ends up the best finisher

Has anyone in the upper hunter had any luck with growing hops?
I imagine the 40C+ days wouldn't be great but if I can hook up some kind of constant drip feed irrigation to stop their thirst it shouldn't be too bad
I have a feeling I've killed the left over hallertauer I brought over from Coffs, so I might just get the supports set up and the garden bed well mulched and weed free this year ready for next year's crop
Might try a something a little more suited to our climate too, some Cascade, Chinook or PoR might go better than a Euro hop

Where are you now Spork? I am in Singleton and my hops went very well last year and I am hoping for a great 2nd year for them. Just one water a day should be fine. I just put in some water sprays that are timed for once a day so now I can't forget.

I'm in Muswellbrook, in the new estate on the east side
The dirt here is shitty, I think I'll have to get in some good stuff from a landscaper

Latest posts

Back