2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crowbaring more hops into your beers there, J ?

Dan, that is why I'm always carrying when I rendezvous with Yob. You never know what he's gonna pull.

20140222_201249.jpg

What do I do with the hop vines?? I have harvested the cones and have now just leaves on wires....where do I cut and is the anything I should do until next season?

mine has nothing on it.wasn't expecting much for a 1st year,and nearly dying a few weeks ago.see what happen's over the next few weeks

Pratty1 said:
What do I do with the hop vines?? I have harvested the cones and have now just leaves on wires....where do I cut and is the anything I should do until next season?
Leave them until totally dead and dry, the rhizome will pull nutrients back out of them, some people even leave them and let the following years growth climb on them.

DU99 said:
mine has nothing on it.wasn't expecting much for a 1st year,and nearly dying a few weeks ago.see what happen's over the next few weeks
I got more from my first year chinook than I did this year. Those hot spells came at the wrong time for mine and fried the laterals I suspect. I might not live on a farm anymore but I'll still bitch about the weather!

First you complain about the lack of blue stuff up there and now too much...

You sir, are a hard man to please ;)

But yeah, my laterals suffered badly too

I'm gonna stick to Cascade and Chinook next year. My Goldings hasn't impressed me yet so it can go.

When's the best time to transplant a potted plant into the ground? I was planning to do it once I cut them back.

Yeh my first years did nuttin, the Chinook didnt even merge from the ground so I transplanted another Cascade rhizome i cut of the back end of the original one and it grew. Both grew to a foot of so and kinda snapped off, i noticed once a bine snaps, thats it, its fuked, wont continue to grow past the break like most other plants, just put energy into growing my little ones. But in alol fairness they are in a bad spot, its been really really windy, and its hailed on them 4 times.

Onwards and upwards...

I posted this in the freaky hop cones thread, but thought id put it here as well.

I have a strange thing happening to my 'old' hops. I call them old, because they got away, under the fence and into the neighbours yard. I offered to dig them out, but she is a strange one - not going to get into it here. Anyway, they have been left neglected for 3 years. They just die and start again each year. I can see this years (just out of reach!) that have run up a tree in the neighbours yard. The cones are a beautiful sight right now, but some of them have this little 'chain' kind of growth hanging down from them. They are not bines, They look more like a plaited piece of leather, but made of hops?? Very hard to explain and I'll try to photograph them tomorrow if no-one knows what this is. They look like a girls necklace almost, but light green like the cone material, not like the darker green the bine is. Any ideas? Google images isnt helping, but maybe because I dont know the right term for this 'growth'

mckenry said:
I posted this in the freaky hop cones thread, but thought id put it here as well.

I have a strange thing happening to my 'old' hops. I call them old, because they got away, under the fence and into the neighbours yard. I offered to dig them out, but she is a strange one - not going to get into it here. Anyway, they have been left neglected for 3 years. They just die and start again each year. I can see this years (just out of reach!) that have run up a tree in the neighbours yard. The cones are a beautiful sight right now, but some of them have this little 'chain' kind of growth hanging down from them. They are not bines, They look more like a plaited piece of leather, but made of hops?? Very hard to explain and I'll try to photograph them tomorrow if no-one knows what this is. They look like a girls necklace almost, but light green like the cone material, not like the darker green the bine is. Any ideas? Google images isnt helping, but maybe because I dont know the right term for this 'growth'
Here's a pic. Not great, but it may help.

hop (1024x768).jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
is it dangling from the very end of the bine?
It could be, I cant tell from my side of the fence. Pic was taken with 150mm zoom....
Why would that change it though?

Back