2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mckenry said:
It could be, I cant tell from my side of the fence. Pic was taken with 150mm zoom....
Why would that change it though?
the very ends of some of my bines have looked similar to that over the last couple of years. as if the bine itself has miniature 'petals' on it for the last 100mm or so, culminating in a mutant hop cone - either a really small one, a huge one, or two joined together like some kind of horrible birth defect.

It looks like most of my hops are beginning to turn brown, so I shall chop them all down very soon, and dry whatever looks OK.
Only the Cascade appears to be mostly green. Anyone else get that issue in the last couple of week's rain?

Finally realized I can load photos from my phone (duh!).
My first year chinook baby:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393389579.132250.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393389727.900519.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
the very ends of some of my bines have looked similar to that over the last couple of years. as if the bine itself has miniature 'petals' on it for the last 100mm or so, culminating in a mutant hop cone - either a really small one, a huge one, or two joined together like some kind of horrible birth defect.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Why does this happen?

Hops in trees! Man, I rarely see anything so beautiful as hops growing into trees. Totally uninterested in difficulty of harvesting. They're just gorgeous.

Victoria:
photo 2.JPG

Cascade:
photo 3.JPG

If you look closely you'll see they're all through the gum.

Liam_snorkel said:
Gimme some hops amongst the gum trees,
With lots of plum trees...
A hot dog or 2 and an ice cold brew

Harvest time at UB's.
I am stoked with how much my cascade gave up ! As I was picking the flowers just kept appearing ! Half filled this fruit box ! Some of them are big buggers too. Columbus and chinook top right and left respectively did ok, I didn't weigh them, will do that once dry and ready to vac seal.
Other pic is my super ghetto drying racks, they ain't pretty !
Still more small cones to grow up and be picked on all three plants.

Home brewing and all that comes with it certainly is a rewarding hobby.
CHEERS !

UB

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393667894.429149.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393667940.278801.jpg

Bit of a poverty harvest from my first year PoR.

88gm wet, so not going to be a big, hoppy hit I was looking for. Might need to chuck a brewie tomorrow and do a wet harvest ale.

^Thats about what I harvested from each from my cascade and chinook even though the bines looked impressive. The hallertau, forget it..
That spate of blistering heat we had really knocked them around despite all the TLC they received. Got them drying in the dehydrator currently but in reality, hardly worth the bother unless I plan on doing a 2 pint batch.

Here's my first lot of harvest pics from this year. I still have the Cascade and Pride of Ringwood to go.

Chinook Harvest.jpg
Chinook

Saaz Harvest.jpg
Saaz (Pretty happy with this as a first year harvest)

Goldings Harvest.jpg
Goldings (Not bad from another first year that I simply threw into a pot up against the fence)

Hops Drying.jpg
Drying in the ghetto dehydrator....

Cheers

I harvested my (first year) Hersbrucker today, they were really dry and some just starting to brown. Been watching 'em like a hawk for 2 weeks now.
IMG-20140307-00012.jpg

I'm leaving the Cascade for a couple more days though, still a bit green and grassy.

121 grams worth of Hersbrucker, the portion inside the O-ring on the mesh is about a cupful, and currently weighs 42 grams including the cup. Will weigh that portion every now and then over the next day or two to see how they're drying.
IMG-20140307-00014.jpg

What do I do now it's harvested? Cut all the bines back to just below soil level, cover in mulch and forget about it? Do I have to keep it watered during the off season?

carniebrew said:
What do I do now it's harvested? Cut all the bines back to just below soil level, cover in mulch and forget about it? Do I have to keep it watered during the off season?
I believe current theory for home growers is to leave the bines so the plant can gradually withdraw nutrients from them & stockpile food in the rhizomes ready for next spring.

I'll take some Rob if someone's willing to go halves. :lol:

Makse me feel better about my small harvest which compared to that is very impressive.

Back