2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really happy with my hop babies growth. First year of flowers - cascade & chinook.

1794776_10203193185930045_1286244751_n.jpg

1922227_10203193189570136_2086524348_n.jpg

And now all my leaves are starting to turn yellow :(
I think I'm not skilled enough to grow hops...

sp0rk said:
And now all my leaves are starting to turn yellow :(
I think I'm not skilled enough to grow hops...
I think that happens anyway at this stage of the game as all the energy is directed to the flowers. Lots of my leaves are turning Brown also. Must get some more nitrogen into them

If you're living within about 20klm of the coast and used garden soils or loams for the basis of your planting, your soil is most likely lacking magnesium and Iron. A tablespoon or each dug into the soil and watered in well will improve the plants ability to take up and utilize nitrogen applied. End result is much lusher green growth, & more robust plants all round. Not a hops only issue, applies equally to anything in the garden.

Martin

sp0rk said:
No flowers have even started to form yet
Which varieties did you plant and how tall did they get?

You need to give very large plants as much as 100 litres of water in hot weather depending on how much you are watering them between hot spells. A 20 litre cube with a tap set to drip if you are away at work for the day and want to give them a trickle.

Liquid manure on a regular basis should get a yield out of most varieties.

When to pick eh? The top part of the bines seem to have hops ready to go, they feel kind papery, and when i break one open it's got yellow lupulin all through it. Here's some shots:

IMG_2238.JPG IMG_2239.JPG

The lower part of the bines have a heap more that are half the size, so I guess I'll be harvesting a few times over the coming week(s)?

Tex083 said:
Brewhardware or bobby from nj has a good YouTube vid on when to pick the hops. He explains it well for the non plant person.
I assume you mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsT-x19III

Good video, my most mature hop looks like the one he plays around with first, that he says is still a week or so off from being ready....I'll hold off, thanks Tex!

Helpful vid.
Thanks Tex and carnie.
Going on his instructions I reckon I am a week or so off also.

HBHB said:
If you're living within about 20klm of the coast and used garden soils or loams for the basis of your planting, your soil is most likely lacking magnesium and Iron. A tablespoon or each dug into the soil and watered in well will improve the plants ability to take up and utilize nitrogen applied. End result is much lusher green growth, & more robust plants all round. Not a hops only issue, applies equally to anything in the garden.

Martin
I used a premium gardening mix from a landscaping joint

hoppy2B said:
Which varieties did you plant and how tall did they get?

You need to give very large plants as much as 100 litres of water in hot weather depending on how much you are watering them between hot spells. A 20 litre cube with a tap set to drip if you are away at work for the day and want to give them a trickle.

Liquid manure on a regular basis should get a yield out of most varieties.
Hallertauer, they're around 7-8 ft tall
I might give the cube idea a good

unclebarrel said:
Helpful vid.
Thanks Tex and carnie.
Going on his instructions I reckon I am a week or so off also.
Many +1's for this
Great suggestion Tex - it's v helpful
And thanks to carnie for imbedding it, so i don't have to trawl youtube.

And definitely thanks to BobbyfromNJ i guess. Great bit of work.

I'm just going out to scrunch-test my hops...

sp0rk said:
Hallertauer, they're around 7-8 ft tall
I might give the cube idea a good
I've heard a few people mention not getting any cones on their first year Hallertauer.

Mt Hood is a better option. It is an American hop bred from Hallertauer to be higher yielding.

Cascade is one of the better craft type hops to go for if you want a yield first year. There are a few good ones.

My cascade seems to be the only one with a half decent yield this year. The Goldings might produce enough for a batch or two, but my treasured chinook has only a smattering of cones. It grows in front of the north facing side of the house, close to the brick, and it seems Melbourne's late season and subsequent heat waves have burnt the laterals just as they were forming. :angry:

Next year I'll split and transfer the cascade to the ground and piss off the Goldings. The chinook will just have to deal with it's position cause it shields the house nicely.

Back