2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here is a quick picture I took of some samples of my Chinook. Remember that different varieties will get to different sizes etc. These were all off the same rhizome so it shows you the spread of maturity you will get unless you do an early season chop of the early bines and then trim the base throughout the season.

12337650284_820fc3beba.jpg

1. Burr
2. Very early hop
3-8. Growing hop increasing in size and darkening in colour
9. Mature hop with slight browning, cone feels heavy, 'petals'/sepals are loose and opening, full length
10. Past their use by date, more brown than green.

It's heaps annoying whenmost of your harvest is at 6-7 but some of it is at 9...and then when you pull it down you find a whole pocket of 10 under some leaves...

Awesome post mate!

Finally got a bunch of burrs showing up on mine. Looking promising but am hoping for some good returns as there is plenty of height and bush there for lotsa Cones.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you guys reckon until my buds are ready for harvest? They still feel a bit moist, but most have these brown hairs growing down the sides of them. They are approx. 1 inch in length.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391670547.686307.jpg

My cascade is covered in buds, the chinook I have is pretty sad looking, it took a fair beating from the recent heat wave, the cascade faired well though!!

Most of my chinook are not at this stage yet, I'd say they're a 5 or 6 by WaggaStu's post. Pretty stoked. I have a RIPA in the pipeline.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391762912.890532.jpg

That is a brilliant post, waggastew! Should get that pinned or wiki'd.
Nice cones, phoney & prince.

Checked mine a few mins ago - within the last few days it seems a patch of mine have gone from a 2 to a 5. Getting excited!!
Btw, I assume you pick them at the "9" stage?

Which variety are your hops Phoney? They look like they might be lacking sunlight. You only get very light fluffy cones when they don't get sufficient sun.

Should be at least a couple of weeks before they are ready to harvest.

hoppy2B said:
Which variety are your hops Phoney? They look like they might be lacking sunlight. You only get very light fluffy cones when they don't get sufficient sun.

Damn. That means I'll lose mine. They've only just burred and we have to move in four weeks. Oh well, first year growth, and my main intention was to grow healthy, monster rhizomes, which definitely seems to be happening. But they're sooooooo beautiful!

The hop garden at night time. All first year. All flowering well. Just waiting for them to mature a little more. Hop aroma is not as full as it could be I don't think. Also a pic of some of the Cluster.

Hop garden at night.jpg

Cluster.jpg

hoppy2B said:

Chinook and Cascade. Most of them are out in full sun, but I've had a few creepers grown inside the shade cloth of the green house which are pictured. I didn't bother building a trellis, next time I will though.

Yob said:
Where ya moving to mardoo?
We actually looked at a place almost next door to you. "Heeeeeey there neighbor!"

Base of the Dandenongs hopefully. FTG, The Basin, Kilsyth etc.

Chinook regrowth coming along nicely after being eaten into oblivion by grasshoppers. Then a second attack by some sort of sucking insect this week, which was halted using confidor. About 4m high in a matter of a few weeks. Hops will rule the world.image.jpg

1st year Red Earth. They really do turn red!! Cool hey!! excuse the photo quality. Mrs took it while i'm at work.

rED EARTH.JPG

So, can I ask, at what point do the cones smell like hops? Mine (chinook) are still a bit grassy smelling but have only a very, very faint hoppy scent. I assume they won't be as pungent as pellets, but does the scent come in all of a sudden?

The last hot-spell we had (last week) caused a lot of my leaves to turn brown, and even the end on the burrs (which are now turning into cones).

Have been pumping a watering can of water onto my Cascade since, and it seems to be holding fort - but not going a lovely lush green at all… still, hopefully I'll see some hops that I can use this year. Bloody global warming!

Back