2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didn't take any photos due to the looming weather, but yesterday i picked about 3 full shopping bags of cascade, 1 bag of POR and a handful of chinooks...they are currently in the dehydrator and should be ready for bagging tomorrow. thought that was quite good for a first year harvest. also had to send the mrs to the shops to get me a long sleeve shirt as they are scratchy as all fk

anyone know if they re-flower or is that it?

That's a great yield. I would love to know the dry weight tomorrow.

In terms of re-flowering, I don't think so. At the Qld home brew conference we watched a video on hop production on professional farms (Hop Products Australia I believe). They cut and collect the bines whole, strip them of the hop flowers and wait for the bines to grow again next season (August onwards).

Cascade (I think.. could be chinook). technically second year but was all rotted and only a bit of wood with no roots remained (I lost the other 6 or so cascade and chinook), I thought it was a goner but seems to be going ok, hopefully I can avoid it rotting after this year.
cascade1.jpg
cascade2.jpg
cascade3.jpg
cascade4.jpg

Saaz, first year. Gets a bit shaded from the wall in afternoon but seems to be going ok, has a few burrs but no decent flowers like cascade yet that I could find.
saaz1.jpg
saaz2.jpg

Wooohooooo!
It has finally begun!

Click to Enlarge!

Random pumpkin plant in front - already covering half of Sydney.
Hops divided by climbing beans through the center.

Bit Closer

Columbus (Third plant from the front left in larger photo)
Starting to develop burrs at the very top

Goldings, (on the far side 2nd from right)
Developing burrs on the top half

Goldings (in the front, 2nd from right)
Less burrs then the back one, but the plant is just as bushy and looks promising.

Mt Hoods at the far right are both showing some burrs towards the top of both.

Best till last - Hersbuckers were the quickest to grow and are showing long lateral vines of burrs on both plants.

Need to ponder some recipes for each!
Glad to see the cuttings are going well for you mate.

whos a happy little hop grower then?

is it me? :rolleyes:

POR Producing cones... effing possums are eating the leaves though... bastards..

1.JPG
2.JPG

didn't take any photos due to the looming weather, but yesterday i picked about 3 full shopping bags of cascade, 1 bag of POR and a handful of chinooks...they are currently in the dehydrator and should be ready for bagging tomorrow. thought that was quite good for a first year harvest. also had to send the mrs to the shops to get me a long sleeve shirt as they are scratchy as all fk

anyone know if they re-flower or is that it?

My Hersbrucker has full size cones that I am harvesting today, when I checked yesterday they also have new burrs growing (same plant).

Sorry, no pics. My hersbrucker looks like it is 1/3 - 1/2 dying/withered. The other 3 2nd year plants are pretty huge...there is some evidence of withering but not like the hersbrucker. There is no obvious insect etc damage and I am wondering if 3 days of extreme heat after a VERY mild summer so far could knock them around?

The hersbrucker has a heap of burrs on it but it is not looking good. The others have fewer burrs but look much healthier. Any thoughts in regards to heat (I even watered them and gave them some seasol as a feed).

I didn't really need to try last year and yet still got a bumper crop, whereas this year I am a bit concerned (just for the hersburcker)....

p.s. my first year plants this year (a por, colombus and cluster) are all fine...

whos a happy little hop grower then?

is it me? :rolleyes:

POR Producing cones... effing possums are eating the leaves though... bastards..

At least the main bine would continue with a few leaves gone....parrots at my place just snipped the top 20cm of my 2 best bines and it looks like they won't resprout and keep going - so their growth has been stopped at about 3m now. It sucks because they were growning so quickly before this happened - almost 10 cm a day!

First up.... Goldings.

First year plant and going well.

It has a few dozen hop flowers spread over its leafy mass, but nothing special. Should do better next year. There were a lor more burs but they died off :(

Goldings1120104.jpg

Goldings2120104.jpg

Goldings4120104.jpg

And in not sure if its taking over the Rosmary or the rosmary is taking over the hops?

Goldings3120104.jpg

Goldings5120104.jpg

Ahhhhhh a Goldings Rose.

Goldings6120104.jpg

And the scary one

THE POR

It tried to grab the camera while i was taking pics..... so you know what i did?

I fed it power feed ... insert Dr Evil laugh!

Edit: its tha same on the inside of the lattice too!

POR3120104.jpg

POR8120104.jpg

POR2120104.jpg

POR1120104.jpg

POR7120104.jpg

POR6120104.jpg

POR5120104.jpg

POR4120104.jpg

Hey if anyone is going to take cuttings or divide Rhizomes after harvest i would love a por and something else easy to grow for my first attempt at growing hops just let me know when and how much cheers :beer:

hmm, my Mt Hood in a pot is barely growing thin little vines. No burrs that's for sure..
I said I'd be happy if it just grew and I'll get hops next year but I don't think that anymore :rolleyes:

I want hops d*mnit.

lol you suck bjornj :p least you didnt kill it like my first year. but this year I got good growth and there are heaps of burs on them. I hope I am home when they are ready to pick.

Whats the time frame you have to pick them roughly?? as I do 10 days on 4 days off so if they come in when I am away I prob get nothing. Might get a job soon doing 14 on 14 off so might get half hopefully then :S

Tony is your POR first year too?
that last photo looks like a mutant hop flower cannibalising leaves. om nom nom

lol you suck bjornj :p least you didnt kill it like my first year. but this year I got good growth and there are heaps of burs on them. I hope I am home when they are ready to pick.

Whats the time frame you have to pick them roughly?? as I do 10 days on 4 days off so if they come in when I am away I prob get nothing. Might get a job soon doing 14 on 14 off so might get half hopefully then :S

hehe, all good fun having a go growing hops.
But I really want at least a handful of hops to use late in an ale to get a feel for the hop type, you know?

Hey if anyone is going to take cuttings or divide Rhizomes after harvest i would love a por and something else easy to grow for my first attempt at growing hops just let me know when and how much cheers :beer:

Message me at the end of June as I'll probably have a couple to give away. Also to anyone interested in an easy hop to grow I recommend Cluster. Cluster is a reliable yield producer which produces cones from very low down on the bines. eg half a metre off the ground.

Message me at the end of June as I'll probably have a couple to give away. Also to anyone interested in an easy hop to grow I recommend Cluster. Cluster is a reliable yield producer which produces cones from very low down on the bines. eg half a metre off the ground.

Awsome thanx Hoppy i will do cheers. :beer:

Mix of 1st and 2nd year hops are travelling along well. Growing them up 2 x 5m poles that I got made up specifically. Strings are fixed to a metal ring that is on a flag pole like rope system so I can lower them down to harvest.

L to R Chinook (2nd Y), Chinook (2nd Y), Goldings (2nd Y), Saaz (2nd Year), Super Alpha (1st year), POR (1st Year)

6636840273_3eedd4fcd6.jpg

All have hops or bracts developing. POR is maturing fastest with the Chinook only just forming bracts. This is a bummer as I had planned to do a all homegrown Chinook APA in a month. Might have to put that one on the back burner.

All plants are continually forming new bines at the bottom of the plant, I have just left them to run up the existing bines. Here is a photo of some hops on the Super Alpha (left) and POR (right)

6636842011_c417279365.jpg

Latest posts

Back