2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascade is going well:
CascADE_jpeg.jpg

Chinook flowers are the most advanced:
Chinook_flowers_jpeg.jpg

First year POR on the left recovered from the hail and is growing well....massive EKG on the right (second year) but it has bugger all flowers compared to my other plants...
POR_and_EKG_screenshot_jpeg.jpg

My hersbrucker is in distress - it looks like this (the others have a few leaves like this but they still look bushy and lustrous, the hersbrucker looks really unwell....THOUGHTS??? SUGGESTIONS??? HELP!!!!):
Hersbr_problem.png

I gave them all a spray with the garlic/chilli spray recently but I'm not entirely convinced that it is a pest problem...

looks fungal, cut lower dead yellow leaves and spray with a fungicide of your choice

Cascade is going well:
View attachment 51675

Chinook flowers are the most advanced:
View attachment 51676

First year POR on the left recovered from the hail and is growing well....massive EKG on the right (second year) but it has bugger all flowers compared to my other plants...
View attachment 51677

My hersbrucker is in distress - it looks like this (the others have a few leaves like this but they still look bushy and lustrous, the hersbrucker looks really unwell....THOUGHTS??? SUGGESTIONS??? HELP!!!!):
View attachment 51679

I gave them all a spray with the garlic/chilli spray recently but I'm not entirely convinced that it is a pest problem...

Lect...... my POR and Goldings are the same size, but the goldings is only just starting to grow flowers now. The PoR has about 7 million on it and a lot are huge!

cheers

My 8 month old nephew helping me pick some fresh Chinook hops. Never too young to learn eh?
They are on a flagpole arrangement and I have lowered them to be able to pick them.

I think I picked them too early. They are brown on the edges but that is probably scortching from some extreme heat as oppossed to actually being ripe.
socks and sandals, you fashion criminal! ;)

To be clear, it is only the hersbrucker showing worse for wear - the others look great (although the Goldings is huge with next to no flowers on it).

Lecterfan, have you tried trace elements?
They didn't get much of a feed over winter, but in spring they had some blood and bone and I give them a seasol treatment every f/n...not sure if that is enough/too much... I shall show them more love over the dormant period and early spring this year...

looks fungal, cut lower dead yellow leaves and spray with a fungicide of your choice
Hmmmm ok (I suspected this myself) - the thing is that it is occurring (to a significantly lesser degree) in my other plants and occasionally higher up which has me bamboozled...I still think pruning the dying leaves is a good idea though

Lect...... my POR and Goldings are the same size, but the goldings is only just starting to grow flowers now. The PoR has about 7 million on it and a lot are huge!
cheers
:p I can only hope my goldings suddenly springs to life - I reckon I'll get another bumper crop of cascade and chinook...I was just hoping the others would follow suit this year hahaha

Thanks all... :beer:

I found I had trace element probs, was across a lot of my potted plants ( due to the shit acid sulphate clay soil here, i grow in pots ) as I was using potting mix and cow/sheep manure. I hit it with a dose of trace elements and everything picked up. Aslo a bit of lime wont hurt either

Hops showed classic trace element deficiency. Yellowish spots, slow growth, dying off...

Mine turned yellow and died off last year but prob a lack of watering in a week of 40c heat didnt help :p I think they are still going strong this year will see when I get home again. The chinook had size decent cones and the POR had millions of burs and some cones so hope I dont miss picking time while I am working away

Not really a hop plantation so slightly off-topic.

It's taken a long time but I've finally got rid of used up the 25 kilos or whatever it was of Chink Cascade from the Original Chink Hop Bulk Buy (OCHBB) & I doubt that anyone's ever noticed any difference in my APA's, AIPA's, etc? :ph34r:
My much criticised Yellow Peril may have drawn negative comments from some but that was my mistake entirely for vastly under-estimatng the alpha percentages of the various Chink hops. :icon_vomit:
001.JPG

And just for old time's sake Brad & Bribie (even if one of you won't see this until March :lol: ) here's a pic of some of the splitters of that famous bulk buy at Good 'Ole Chap Chap's yonks ago.
Dave (you know who you are :icon_cheers: ) & others not shown in this pic are the lucky ones as no one will know who you are. LOL! (I'm out of smilies ATM)
First_Splitters.JPG

TP

Ahh the famous " these chinnese hops are good as anything" bulk buy.... funny how GLS has gone into hidding...

They where great hops, its just that anyone on AHB didnt know how to use them... :lol:

Ahh the famous " these chinnese hops are good as anything" bulk buy.... funny how GLS has gone into hidding...

They where great hops, its just that anyone on AHB didnt know how to use them... :lol:

I had 5kg of them and after sampling a few beers other brewed I got rid of the lot, not a gm on Chinese hop where use in my brewery.

first year cascade plants. hundreds of burrs on both and flowers growing well on one of them.

hope they turn over a good crop but they are only first year.DSC_0314.JPGDSC_0313.JPG[attachment=5
1716:DSC_0312.JPG]

Attachments

• DSC_0312.JPG
    DSC_0312.JPG
    569.5 KB · Views: 27
first year?? thats got more then both of my second year plants on it lol

yeah thats what i was thinking. they were quite big rhizomes though, at least 30cm long each. must have been 8 or 9 bines shot up from both

IMG_1579.jpg

Here are some of the picked cones: grey bag - cascade, blue bag - chinook, white bag - goldings.

Dried them in the dehydrator. Here they are dried:

IMG_1583.jpg

you have 2 americans bag the chinook and goldings?? :p

No, it was first thing in the morning before I'd had a coffee. I left them in the dehydrator overnight. Got up first thing, bagged and labeled them and took the pic on my iphone. Now I feel like a dickhead.

lol thats ok I was thinking **** its the 9th months already?? ;) as long as you know what you mean who gives a crap. Sure I never make sence but I dont care I know what I said

No pics, however harvested 100g dried off a first year PoR for its first pick and is just setting an enormous load of flowers so the second pick may be even bigger at this rate. It must've hit the sewer or something, the others are doing well but fairly dismal cone yield, only a few hands- full of cones so far and some are second year (Perle, Hallertau, Goldings, Chinook). No flowers on any Goldings here yet either, some are first year and some second, so perhaps a climatic issue for that variety.
Brewed an Aussie Ale with some fresh PoR, had to grin and bear the fact that it will probably have some late hops character that's not to style... :D

Back