2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt quite read all 40 pages, but I think I figured it out. Perhaps.

I think I'll be waiting til they start to dry a little on the plant, which could be a while still as its raining heaps and they're green and plump still.

Thankyou, that's v helpful. :lol:

"How do you know when your hops are ready to be picked?
Both feel and smell are involved. If the hop cone is not ripe it will feel soft, slightly damp to the touch, and remain compressed when squeezed. Ripe hop cones will feel light and dry, and spring back when squeezed. When ripe the lupulin glands at the base of the cone petals will have a golden yellow color and a sticky residue that is fragrant when squeezed."

New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station Fact Sheet 'Growing Hops in the back yard'

First year Chinook
P1010396_1_.JPG
copyP1010398_2_.JPG

Here's my perle "shrub" I've been training over my pool fence.
Finally grabbed a bowl and took the 1st harvest this arvo.
Got about 160g worth which is drying on my ultra lo-fi rack (fly screen-fridge shelf-A0 plotter roll from work).
Hopefully I'll get enough off it for a Perle Smash Lager this winter, but basically I'm pretty happy that I haven't killed a plant.

SAM_1294_1.jpg
SAM_1295_1.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg

Dudes where's my Tettnang?!
This is a picture of my tett which I bought as a small plant that looked like it was struck as a cutting last season. It has only just taken off in the last couple of weeks. It should be all over the place by now. Of all the hops I started growing this season, this was the largest but has done the least.
My understanding is that Aussie Tettnang are probably Fuggles. And I'm wondering if anyone on here has Tettnang and what the growth habit is like. Let me know, thanks.

Hops_cuttings_27_January_2012_004.jpg

Just bagged some more offerings:

goldings - 50g shown + about 30g I had to dry off site; chinook - 75g; cascade - 80g; POR - 15g offsite

Still got some POT and goldings left to ripen, thats if they don't suffer from flood damage :(

20120127_131713.jpg

Hopefully I'll get enough off it for a Perle Smash Lager this winter.

Happy to be told otherwise, but I heard Perle was more of a combo hop.

One guy said he did a SMASH and it was a bit too earthy + earthy.

Hope it's not as bad as that, as I'm only growing Perle at the moment too!

Dudes where's my Tettnang?!
This is a picture of my tett which I bought as a small plant that looked like it was struck as a cutting last season. It has only just taken off in the last couple of weeks. It should be all over the place by now. Of all the hops I started growing this season, this was the largest but has done the least.
My understanding is that Aussie Tettnang are probably Fuggles. And I'm wondering if anyone on here has Tettnang and what the growth habit is like. Let me know, thanks.

My Tett stunted, In fact I thought it was going to die, most of the first growth died off, I cut it back and has since boomed and is growing great guns..

1.JPG

Looking sick beside he POR which sprouted much later than the Tett

2.JPG

Now growing madly

RDWHAHB

Pretty happy so far with my first atempt at growing hops. From left to right two Chinooks, Halertau and Cascade. Halertau was picked up from Siborg and transferred from a pot and the rest were rhizomes from Dr Smurto. Cascade is a little further behind with only 30 odd small flowers but the others are absolutely loaded far exceeding expectation.

216.JPG

Just bagged some more offerings:

goldings - 50g shown + about 30g I had to dry off site; chinook - 75g; cascade - 80g; POR - 15g offsite

Still got some POT and goldings left to ripen, thats if they don't suffer from flood damage :(
Is that POT or POR you talking about?

Happy to be told otherwise, but I heard Perle was more of a combo hop.

One guy said he did a SMASH and it was a bit too earthy + earthy.

Hope it's not as bad as that, as I'm only growing Perle at the moment too!
I have done an ale with only using Perle. It was a lovely beer, I still have two stubbies left that I can't bring myself to finish becuse then I wont have any left.

Might have to brew it again.

An update on my first year POR and Chinook.
The POR is the first 2 pics and the one with the cones starting to form, it ended up wanting to go two different directions so i gave it some more string, it was way behind the chinook, but when the hotter weather started the chinook seemed to slow right down, where as the POR went nuts, looks like il be making some kind of ale with late POR.
Chinook is just starting to form some burs, might get enough to throw in a small brew late.

Hops_001.jpg
Hops_002.jpg
Hops_003.jpg
Hops_007.jpg

Hi all thought I'd add how all my 1st years are going..
IMG_0802.jpg close up of Saaz

IMG_0815.jpg this is her again (have already harvested 40g dried) :) sorry for iphone quality will try and get some better ones in the next couple days

IMG_0803.jpg This is the Nugget,started great but seemed to stop when I moved the wine barrel..

IMG_0816.jpg This is the Hersbrucker, started slow but has fired in the last two weeks.. almost ready for a 1st harvest

Latest posts

Back