2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have posted photos on this thread but I decided to make a video. Here is the link:

P.S.: Fents, that is really terrible news about your cars and hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is my 1st year Mt. Hood from Barls growing in a pot on the balcony:

photo__7_.JPG

not sure if it's very visible, but I planted a small twig of rosemary in the corner of the pot.
Took it from a bush outside the building, thought it'd be nice to have a little bit of rosemary on the balcony for those lamp roasts :D

photo__8_.JPG

Looking at canon1ball's and Bill's hops last weekend I see mine are small and puny while they had a good 3-4 meters of length already.
But hopefully mine will grow enough this first year to produce a handful of aroma hops.

thanks
Bjorn

what size is your pot, bjornj? maybe it could do with a bigger home

Hi Kymba,
the pot is only about 40x40 cm square.
It was a pot that we already had but had nothing in so I liberated it for hop growing :lol:
It probably would been better with an even bigger one but hopefully it will be ok.

thanks
Bjorn

Pretty sure there are a hundred or so little buds forming on my hallertau.
Was a bit dark to see last night but will grab a photo or two after work.

Can't wait to get a brew on with them.

Some top looking Hop cones already in this thread. I'm just waiting to see what happens. None too fussed this year.

I got home from Chrissy break to find the POR getting jiggy with the Goldings. Swift action was taken.

My first year POR is off it's head. Can't believe the growth.

POR_Dec.jpg

First year Goldings doing well.

Goldings_Dec.jpg

First year Cascade looking all droopy, not sure if it's too much water.

Cascade_Dec.jpg

Hersbrucker burring up.

109_1171.JPG

Cascade with a heap of burs forming.

109_1172.JPG

Hopefully I will get enough for a brew this year!

Wooohooooo!
It has finally begun!

Click to Enlarge!

Random pumpkin plant in front - already covering half of Sydney.
Hops divided by climbing beans through the center.

Bit Closer

Columbus (Third plant from the front left in larger photo)
Starting to develop burrs at the very top

Goldings, (on the far side 2nd from right)
Developing burrs on the top half

Goldings (in the front, 2nd from right)
Less burrs then the back one, but the plant is just as bushy and looks promising.

Mt Hoods at the far right are both showing some burrs towards the top of both.

Best till last - Hersbuckers were the quickest to grow and are showing long lateral vines of burrs on both plants.

Need to ponder some recipes for each!

Nice Yard

Cheers,
Its rocky as hell, standing there i am actually higher then the 3 level house.
Whole things a bloody mountain.

Its generally only 30-50cm deep under the hops then you hit rock.

adryargument: Those hops of yours would climb heaps higher if you let them. They look very healthy. Any way you could connect some line from that gum tree (or rock) to your blue rope?
I don't know how high hops will grow, but they will at least go seven metres, if not higher. In a lot of the photos on this thread you can see the hops wanting to climb but they just run out of room. I know you can grow them horizontally but their natural inclination seems to be straight up.

adryargument: Those hops of yours would climb heaps higher if you let them. They look very healthy. Any way you could connect some line from that gum tree (or rock) to your blue rope?
I don't know how high hops will grow, but they will at least go seven metres, if not higher. In a lot of the photos on this thread you can see the hops wanting to climb but they just run out of room. I know you can grow them horizontally but their natural inclination seems to be straight up.

I did notice that, all their growth at the top seems to be from the stems bending in half under the weight and trying to go back up.
The only issue with that is i found that their original growth was stumped by being bitten by possums (could of been wallabies but i doubt it).

Because of this i wanted to limit the growth to a vertical rise and not rely on any additional supports to the surrounding areas - last thing i want is possums on the top of my poles.

Couldn't really make them any taller then they currently are due to the weight - keep in mind i can only dig the supports around 50cm deep at most. The wooden frames are currently attached to concreted metal poles to provide added support.

Edit: Definitely will look into it for next years crop. The tree on the left will be removed and the hops replanted for more space. There's already runners popping up in odd places.

I have posted photos on this thread but I decided to make a video. Here is the link:

I wonder if you can feed a chicken hop cones. You know what I am thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
didn't take any photos due to the looming weather, but yesterday i picked about 3 full shopping bags of cascade, 1 bag of POR and a handful of chinooks...they are currently in the dehydrator and should be ready for bagging tomorrow. thought that was quite good for a first year harvest. also had to send the mrs to the shops to get me a long sleeve shirt as they are scratchy as all fk

anyone know if they re-flower or is that it?

Back