2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else noticed a few wasps hanging around their hops lately?
Looks like they are picking off something but not sure what.. hopefully caterpillas or some other nasty bug.

Looks like they are picking off something but not sure what.. hopefully caterpillas or some other nasty bug.

Definitely seen a couple more than usual.
However theres a group of 3 wallabies that likes to hang around my hops. Its bloody scary when your looking at your plants and this massive thumping goes past behind you.

So someone please tell me.. I have no flowers yet , is there any hope to yield anything this season or not?

its still heaps early to get cones I think feb/march they start to come???? some have got them now but some areas of the country have had rain then sunny and the hops are going nuts. For me I can see a couple of burs starting to form but thats about all. Its still growing like 1 foot a day

So someone please tell me.. I have no flowers yet , is there any hope to yield anything this season or not?

if it's your first season dont get ya hopes up too high... from what Ive read the first year the plant spends most of the energy developing a good root ball, some piccies I saw in last years topic was showing many got none, one fella got just 1 cone :blink: but from the second season on you can expect cone yeild to increase rapidly.

Ive got a fair few plant in, mostly first year, Im 'trying' to just enjoy and learn how they grow and establish.. one thing I hadnt considered was the lateral growth which is something I will improve on for next season as far as the trellis goes.. def. starting to see why planting 2m apart is a good idea. ;)

Yob

Yeah I have them but no signs of damage, my guests just seem to like the water I'm keeping up to the cascade. My bees certainly take a big interest.

First year plants, free rhizomes courtesy of AHB Brenthor.
Chinook on left POR on right. Training them to go sideways and up, they only needed a bit of direction at first and now seem to get the idea.

View attachment 50028

Update on my first year plants, 36 days later. They really are loving the wet/warm then cool dry cycle. The lead bines are still growing and the laterals are climbing the string as well, the chinook has started to take over what was a greenhouse.
These were planted just before the start of spring, they are in about 2 square meters of space, the soil is about 1 foot deep max, but has plenty of rotting organic matter in there. I have given up trying to control them in this small space so they can just sprawl and do what they will. :) The days are still getting longer here so they will continue to grow, only when they days start to get shorter again will that trigger the change to flowering / reproduction mode.
I would guess that they will produce something , enough for me to use late in my half batch brews anyway.

Hops2.jpg

Hops3.jpg

I can see you've got some cones forming already, mate. :D

Update on my first year plants, 36 days later. They really are loving the wet/warm then cool dry cycle. The lead bines are still growing and the laterals are climbing the string as well, the chinook has started to take over what was a greenhouse.
These were planted just before the start of spring, they are in about 2 square meters of space, the soil is about 1 foot deep max, but has plenty of rotting organic matter in there. I have given up trying to control them in this small space so they can just sprawl and do what they will. :) The days are still getting longer here so they will continue to grow, only when they days start to get shorter again will that trigger the change to flowering / reproduction mode.
I would guess that they will produce something , enough for me to use late in my half batch brews anyway.

View attachment 51029

View attachment 51030

@Beer4U - shit mate.. 1st years :blink: mine pale by comparison.. impressive

1.JPG
POR going gang busters and taking over the shed (1 bine)

2.JPG
Goldings reached the top of the trellis and going laterally now (2 bines)

3.JPG
Chinook - awwwww - what wont they try and climb
Cascade in the Background is FINALLY getting going

4.JPG
what happens when some effing animal eats the growing tip out of them

:icon_cheers:

I harvested 130g of my plant this week, pretty scant for a 2nd year plant but fingers crossed for a 2nd harvest.

ed; its a willamette

I can see you've got some cones forming already, mate. :D

:D good one mate, i cant believe i did not see that one coming...

@ yob - yeah stuff grows like crazy here, at the moment i consider them plants, controlled/wanted, but i was thinking the other day that if i was to put them out in a few places around the joint they would soon become pests or weeds (depending on your point of view).
I spend a lot of time here controlling weeds in the paddocks, its an ongoing battle that cant be won, i just have to keep them at bay.

Forming cones. LOL.

For some context: My first year chinooks have ~20 baby flowers. Nothing on the other varieties. The hail and bugs have made them all look pretty depressing TBH. My Tomatoes, too.

When I saw him perch on my horizontal strings today, I think I figured out what is nipping the tips off my bines:

http://birdsinbackyards.net/feature/honeyeaters.cfm

I kinda hope it's not them..along with the magpies, they are my favourite native family living in our garden!

haha exactly.
it's the circle of life mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how big Cascade cones get? Here is a picture from my friend's first year plant.
IMG_1559.jpg

Quick question, would it be worth planting a rhizome this late in the growing season?
Not expecting massive growth but surely it'd be good to get some roots established in time for the next growing season.

maybe plant it into a pot and next year it should have some roots to it to get going. cant hurt I guess

maybe plant it into a pot and next year it should have some roots to it to get going. cant hurt I guess

Yeah I'm renting at the moment so all my plants are in pots for now. got some big ones put aside for when I get my hands on some more rhizomes though :)

I will say that these pics are awesome ... my plants are somewhat small at this point but its the first year and I am just enjoying the fact that they are growing .. I just hope they grow again next year ...

Back