2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spotted my first little baby this morning. hope this is a sign of things to come from my 1st year plants.

photo.JPG

nambour westside goldings NWG - not quite as catchy as EKG

Image0570.jpg

POR

Image0573.jpg

This thread inspires a lot of jealousy in me... My first year guys are still just getting going! :(

no stress stef, mine are all 1st year too. in my highly uneducated guess it is due to the climate up here, the full bins of mushroom compost they are potted in and the bi-monthly doses of seasol

This thread inspires a lot of jealousy in me... My first year guys are still just getting going! :(

Wow. Kymba, those cascade cones look great. You should get a great yield. Are your goldings flowering at all yet?

yeah there were a few little flowers starting to form...they look like little sea anemones

Wow. Kymba, those cascade cones look great. You should get a great yield. Are your goldings flowering at all yet?

These are mine first year no flowers starting to go a bit yellow down the bottom I am watering more seems to be fixing them a bit.
Cascade,Goldings
sav

Jamies_iphone_022.JPG

sav, i am well impressed with your hop trellis! do you get the mrs to drop hop cones in your glass of IPA when you are having a spa?

Am I the only person that browses this thread and wonders both a) I want to grow these and B) I think the cops will be called by my neighbours* if I tried to grow these?

*said neighbours probably already thing i'm cooking meth when they see me sanitising kegs and fermenters (not to mention brewing) in the backyard.

Am I the only person that browses this thread and wonders both a) I want to grow these and B) I think the cops will be called by my neighbours* if I tried to grow these?

*said neighbours probably already thing i'm cooking meth when they see me sanitising kegs and fermenters (not to mention brewing) in the backyard.

Dude it's not illegal so stuff what the neighbours think. :p

This might have to be done over two posts because of the file sizes of the photos from the iphone.
I have noticed that with the cascade hops they grow a cone either side of the bine. The goldings grow "branches" that have anything up to 10 cones.

cascade:
IMG_1561.jpg

Mine have taken off now that its warmed up a bit.

Goldings, first year, been in the dirt for about 2 or 3 months, and loading up with hundreds of burs:

Goldings111223.jpg

Goldingsburs111223.jpg

And my 2nd year POR that started off very slow but is now starting to grab you as you walk past it. The kids are scared to stand still next to it for too long :p

POR111223.jpg

Going mad inside the lattice too

PORInside111223.jpg

PORLaterals111223.jpg

PORBur111223.jpg

cheers

My friend has had plenty of success with his hops. We planted ours at the same time but mine were a bit retarded and didn't grow. I think the soil didn't have enough drainage.

Anyway, I ripped mine out of the ground about two weeks ago. Sure enough they had rotted but one of the cascade plants seemed to have a bit of life left in it. I threw it in a pot with some compost and soil and forgot about it. This morning I woke up and saw this :

IMG_1564.jpg

There is still hope..... :icon_cheers:

how good is this mid 20 deg weather during december for growing hops.

Last year the burs got cooked in 40+ heat and never grew very big. The hops are thriving and i cant see a day over 28 deg forcast for another week yet :)

Lovin it!

my hops and veggies got slammed by the hailstorm in melb on xmas day. the veggie patch looks like someone came at it with a whipper snipper and so do the hops. gone i'd say.

not to mention both my cars are prob written off by hail damage and my bar / garage got flooded.

my hops and veggies got slammed by the hailstorm in melb on xmas day. the veggie patch looks like someone came at it with a whipper snipper and so do the hops. gone i'd say.

not to mention both my cars are prob written off by hail damage and my bar / garage got flooded.

Sh*t, I was upset when mine copped that 6 weeks ago - but they have bounced back due to how small they were at the time...I hope you still get to harvest something....

Latest posts

Back