2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would love to buy some plasic hops. i dont think i could kill those..

I think they use those in XXXX Summer

After tending to mine last wednesday, my tallest hop was at waist high. Went away for 2 days and went back out to them on the saturday morning. Same bine had grown over 2 feet in the space of about 60hours :blink:

Amazing how much quicker they are 2nd year round...

edit - anyone ever seen bees on their hops? I only ask because I have 2 hives within 10 metres of my hops and it would be nice to think one hobby is helping out the other :p

332530_10150356603778984_685443983_8095896_2011798558_o.jpg323350_10150356603508984_685443983_8095892_144900320_o.jpg337443_10150356603708984_685443983_8095895_316098119_o.jpg289821_10150356603333984_685443983_8095889_1226674363_o.jpg

2nd Year Hallertau. Its already gotten as high as it can climb onto anything unless it attacks the house roof!

edit - anyone ever seen bees on their hops? I only ask because I have 2 hives
within 10 metres of my hops and it would be nice to think one hobby is helping
out the other :p
Would this really be a good thing? Not sure if bees would actually rummage
through hops flowers but wouldn't that just mess with the lupulin in the flowers
and robbing any flowers of their efficacy? Mind you the thought of hops flavoured
honey sounds interesting.

T.

The lupulin glands are pretty well protected by the cone, I don't think any bee's would get in even if they were inerested in them. I have found cabbage caterpillars in a few though.

The bloody dog decided to have a hop lunch today on the only two shoots that were heading up the rope!
I decided to cut back one shoot all the way back to the ground, due to the damage.

Thinking back to a "Growing Hops 101" post in this forum, I remember seeing a section regarding growing from cuttings.
Was only able to salvage 3 good cuttings from the badly munched Chinook.

It got me thinking though, trim off a not-so-quick-off-the-mark shoot now and let them grow separately as cuttings.
Anyone in SW/Metro Sydney feel like doing the same and want to trade cuttings in a month or two when these
bad boys finally kick out some roots and grow in some soil for a while?

If these three do actually kick off, I'd be more than happy to trade them off for three aroma hop cuttings if anyone would like to.

Chinook_Cuttings.jpg

The bloody dog decided to have a hop lunch today on the only two shoots that were heading up the rope!
I decided to cut back one shoot all the way back to the ground, due to the damage.

Thinking back to a "Growing Hops 101" post in this forum, I remember seeing a section regarding growing from cuttings.
Was only able to salvage 3 good cuttings from the badly munched Chinook.

It got me thinking though, trim off a not-so-quick-off-the-mark shoot now and let them grow separately as cuttings.
Anyone in SW/Metro Sydney feel like doing the same and want to trade cuttings in a month or two when these
bad boys finally kick out some roots and grow in some soil for a while?

If these three do actually kick off, I'd be more than happy to trade them off for three aroma hop cuttings if anyone would like to.

thought i read somewhere that hops are very poisonous to dogs?

a quick google reveals - Hops, a plant used in making beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing

and http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/

might be alright if it is just the leaves though?

I think it's just the cones, but I'm no expert.

If it's the lupulin that's the problem, then there can be some glands on the leaves as well as the cones, though nowhere near as much.

lucky they were young shoots, not spent hops and as per the brewersfriend article.

"Cases of dogs eating raw hops and getting sick or dieing have been reported
on brewing forums, but this appears to be rare and no studies have been done."

The fact that he's still bouncing around 12hours later tells me he's fine, but I'll be
keeping a close eye on him anyway.

lucky they were young shoots, not spent hops and as per the brewersfriend article.

"Cases of dogs eating raw hops and getting sick or dieing have been reported
on brewing forums, but this appears to be rare and no studies have been done."

The fact that he's still bouncing around 12hours later tells me he's fine, but I'll be
keeping a close eye on him anyway.

good to hear. maybe he was after a scooby snack - been watching cartoons lately?

Is it necessary or beneficial to trim the lower leaves on my hops bines to encourage vertical growth as i have been advised to do so?

Is it necessary or beneficial to trim the lower leaves on my hops bines to encourage vertical growth as i have been advised to do so?

No. I just finished harvesting my hops and this was their 3rd year in the ground, and I've never trimmed bines or leaves. Growth has never been an issue for mine. I've heard that trimming the bines back to only 3-5 per plant encourages a higher yield and I'll probably try it next year as I'm tired of having my hops "bush" out at the ground in addition to the bines up the ropes.

It's suggested in a few articles I've read that you should trim the first couple of feet of leaves off to stop the spread of disease and pests up from the ground. I found last year that my lower leaves were yellowing and falling off by themselves, so I just removed the rest of them anyway. But YMMV.

I don't think it would promote upwards growth, as the only thing the bines want to do is grow upwards anyway.

do you have another node at the bottom of those cuttings? (in the water)

they might not do much if you dont, that seems to be where the new growth happens.

I've heard that trimming the bines back to only 3-5 per plant encourages a higher yield and I'll probably try it next year as I'm tired of having my hops "bush" out at the ground in addition to the bines up the ropes.

I have read the same and have around 40 bines in my second year plants. I did nothing to the rhizomes over winter and now I've got maybe 8 or so bines coming up from from around the areas where each bines appeared last year. Has anyone in a non-commercial environmant actually tried both leaving all the bines to grow and cutting all bar 3 to 6 back? What effect does this have on the yield? I've googled and AHB searched but everyone just seems to be quoting the theory of 3 to 6 bines per plant but I haven't heard of anyone who's actually tried both. Is this just from ease of harvest or is yield actually better with less bines?

Latest posts

Back