2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only going to be able to make it to the actual swap for a couple of hours as the Mrs has booked herself in for a night out on the day of the swap and with me leaving her with the girls for 3 of the next 4 weeks I can't really complain too much. A bit annoying what with the swap being so close to home but there's not much I can do about it. Might have to just bring a shot glass so I can get around to tasting all the beers on offer.

My beer will be in the swap however and the early tasters (bottled from primary, most of the batch also went into secondary for a week or so) have been pretty good. Stammtisch beer has just been pitched but I suspect it will be not quite be ready for the day.

Bugger!!!

Just seen this thread after booking my flight to Adelaide for a bit of R&R from Sunday 27th
will be in adelaide for 3 nights catching up with an old Grumpies forum guy "Metters" from WA if you remember him.
Hopefully a few of you will be sober enough to catch up for a few beers while we're in town.

cheers Ross

That's right in the middle of vintage for me but will try and get into town for a beer or 7.

As for the swap, tasted my contribution last night.

I should confess now that I am giving you an experiment....... :eek:

I've been playing around with adjusting the mash pH when brewing a bo pils. This beer used brewing salts to drop the pH. I think it looks, smells and tastes very nice but the extra salts are probably pushing it more towards a german pilsner. The bitterness is more aggressive which is one of the major differences between a bo and german pils.

I am so looking forward to Drsmurtos Pils! I hear he makes great beer! Will be making his Golden ale on tue.

I ave removed my name from the back up swap list [bigholty was next on list] but would like to attend, can someone update the article with the date and loc?, cheers

Bottled my swap beer today (first time bottling in ages, I think it went OK).

Tasting good out of the fermenter, dry hop character different than I usually get from keg hopping but I'm looking forward to trying the carbed up result.

Realised today that I'm double booked on a wine tour on case swap day but my beer will get there one way or the other (QB I might be volunteering you) and I'll endeavour to be there post wine tasting to get stuck into a few beers. :party:

... can someone update the article with the date and loc?, cheers
Normally, the host will send the location info to those involved by PM
near the day of the event - probably not a good idea for the host's
address to be posted in a public forum.

I've updated the list moving BigHolty to spot #3 and updating the back list.

Somehow, we need to get people to indicate whether they want to
be part of the side swap or not - including those on the backup list
(some of whom might only be interested in the main swap).

Should we start asking/pm-ing people to indicate if they want to be
in the side swap?
There's still a couple of months for people to drop out so I wouldn't be too concerned about a side swap yet. We'll get a better idea about any potential side swap once more blokes have bottled their swap beers.
Ok, only about 2 weeks to go so I think we need to get the side swap sorted out
in terms of:
<> who on the main list are interested in taking part - note that these people only
need to provide extra bottles to cover the people on the back up list (see below)

<> who on the backup list would be interested in taking part with the side swap.

Hatchy said:
I'll probably only have the one batch in bottles which would mean that anyone in both swaps would end up with 2 of my beers which may be 2 more than they want.
I hadn't thought of this before and it's good you brought this up - I had thought
there was some way to integrate the side swap with the main swap without this
problem and I think it can be done as follows:

<> those on the main swap list wanting to side swap only need to provide extra
bottles for those on the backup list in the side swap

<> those on the backup list in the side swap provide enough bottles for those on
the main list and backup list in the side swap

This example shows how this could work.

Main swap list - indicates those in side swap
A
B <AA><BB><CC>
C
I
J <AA> <BB> <CC>
K <AA> <BB> <CC>
X
Y
Z

Backup swap list in side swap
AA <AA> <BB> <CC> <B> <J> <K>
BB <AA> <BB> <CC> <B> <J> <K>
CC <AA> <BB> <CC> <B> <J> <K>

The <zz> indicates a bottle from swapper "zz" - am I overlooking anything obvious?

So I don't think it would be a big impost on the main list swappers to stump up
an extra four bottles (at this stage) and get back an extra four bottles to taste
so how about it? The more main list swappers taking part, the more worthwhile
it will be for the backup swappers to take part in.

So ... can those on the main list and backup list interested in the side swap please
update the article accordingly (or pm me and I can update it).

Tom.

I understand the whole posting address on the net, but could someone put up who is hosting and the suburb. Too late to go back and work out who has the last dib on location. It was in Sterling then Jayses now in the NE suburbs I think.
Tom, only 4 names on the backup now, I am confident we will have last minute drop outs like normal.

Hey as far as i know i will be hosting the event. Im in Ridgehaven in the North east of Adelaide, Its about 2 mins drive from TTP. I will PM all people on the list with my addy in the next 3 days. I figure that way i can get back to you all with how many replys i get. this is my first case swap, I welcome anyone who has been to them before or been the host, and has any advise they can give me or would like to come a day or 3 early to set up kegs and stuff just let me know i am open...

I understand the whole posting address on the net, but could someone put up who is hosting and the suburb. Too late to go back and work out who has the last dib on location. It was in Sterling then Jayses now in the NE suburbs I think.
Tom, only 4 names on the backup now, I am confident we will have last minute drop outs like normal.
Hi Jeff,

I think AussieJosh is on track to host the swap ... yep, he beat me to it.

Down to four on the backup list - I know - just trying to cater for the worst case
- who knows, maybe there are some lurkers around who might get interested in
swapping.

T.

Probably need to get Mrs Hatchy off the the list unless someone knows a super quick brew, ferment & bottle tactic. I "helped" her to brew & forgot the choc malt for her choc porter. It isn't even in a fermenter yet. I'm not able to be in a side swap. I have 24 longnecks & 2 stubbies of my beer. The stubbies are my stammtisch entry.

Last swap I put my address & mobile number on the article a couple of days before the swap. The articles section isn't public, you have to be a member to see it. Having said that, I remember a few blokes being surprised that I did that.

Having delivered some hops to Josh the other day I have one question.
Where the f#@k is the door? :blink:
Nige

Ha! that the best bit about my house Nige! No front door! ha! Well there is but you gotta open the roller door to get in to the courtyard to get in the front door. :D Thanks for dropping off the hops! :)

Ha! that the best bit about my house Nige! No front door! ha! Well there is but you gotta open the roller door to get in to the courtyard to get in the front door. :D Thanks for dropping off the hops! :)

Your yard is all tidied up mate???

LOL what a question! Why you wanna help me do some gardening? ;) yer i am planing on getting rid of them 6ft weeds tomorrow, might mow the lawns and get the whipper snipper out! Got a mid stregth pils on tap will do some work in the yard and will put some bets on the cup!

Hey all, I'd like to come an check it out, pending my study needs for that week! I don't have any beer to swap though :(

HC

That isn't a problem mate. I reckon there's a non swapping attendees list.

Bottled my Robust Porter2 tonight. 24 Longnecks with 2 spare stubbies for me. Damn, I should have made it a bigger batch! Big black and chocolaty at 6% abv.

Not sure I will be able to attend, but my beers will be there for swapping.

Hey swappers! Are you getting EXCITED!? With just over a week and a half to go I thought over the next day or so ill start sending out my addy to swappers so we can get an idea of how many people can come on the day. as i said before if you cant make it on the day but want to drop off your swap beer before the day just let me know. So maybe we should start thinking about who is bringing what food!? Im happy to get snags and Bread/rolls..... Also what time do you think this should start on the day? 12pm? before that? later then that....?

Hey swappers! Are you getting EXCITED!? With just over a week and a half to go I thought over the next day or so ill start sending out my addy to swappers so we can get an idea of how many people can come on the day. as i said before if you cant make it on the day but want to drop off your swap beer before the day just let me know. So maybe we should start thinking about who is bringing what food!? Im happy to get snags and Bread/rolls..... Also what time do you think this should start on the day? 12pm? before that? later then that....?

Never had the pleasure of attending one before mate, but I'd say things start to kick off around 12pm to 1pm. I wont be there till a few hours after that I reckon. Seems everyone has something I need to be at that day. I will be there with bells on after that though!!

Josh, nah, you can do the gardening... I have enough of my own to look after :icon_cheers: :p

I can probably bring some homemade meatballs or something.... I'll get my missus into the kitchen and get her to whip something up, as my culinary skills leave alot to be desired... :rolleyes:

Back