2009 Nsw Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn this case swap. I have been forced to consume far more beer than I had planned.....Here goes. Sorry I am not as descriptive as Muggus with my reviews.

18. Hewy - Bo Pils - 4.6% ready to drink
This was a little overcarbed but I really liked it. Nice light pils with just the hop aroma one would expect. With less carbonation this would be a great summer session beer.

19. Megs80- Pacific strong ale 6.6%, Drink 25th dec- 1st Jan (no later), WLP001 Cal ale baby!
I was sneaky and drank this early. Very robust, flavoursome ale. Not for everyone but I quite like a strong hop presence so appealed to my tastes. Nice one!

20. mrs eyres - pale ale - 4.5% - US-05 - ready to drink
Finishing this now - great carbonation, colour, aroma and taste. No sediment. Well balanced hop and malt flavours. Impressive! I might enlist Mrs Eyres to get my GF into brewing.....

The Weasel ESB is good to go. Let this one warm a bit before drinking to fully appreciate the flavour and bitterness.

20. mrs eyres - pale ale - 4.5% - US-05 - ready to drink

Clear gold/copper colour with a nice white head. Good head retention with some lacing. I like the hop profile, Is the main hop you've used chinook? Overall a well balanced beer. I can see why people wouldve liked more than one bottle.

21. Dave - Belgian Summer Triple - 7%ish - WY1214 - RTD

Clear light copper colour, well carbed with a good head which dissipates quickly. Good light body with a nice Belgian taste from the yeast. Sweet with some phenolics. Could taste some alcohol. But being a triple i liked it and it suited the beer

8. Fatgodzilla - Golden Ale .. ideal summer thirst quencher, mid strength english style bitter.S 04 Drink now

Drinking this now. Fatgodzilla, Your right mate great for a hot day. No real hop aroma which allows the malt to come through. Well balanced with fruitiness from the yeast. Low carb with a head which dissipates fast. Nicely to style and enjoyable to drink.

Cheers,
Alex

7. Retsamhsam - NZ/US Pale Ale, Nottingham Dried Yeast. 5%abv.

Pours clear light copper. Lovely head falls down and persists. Aroma is caramel and resiny hops. Flavour is more of the same with hops coming up spicy citrus as well. Light medium bodied, nice carb. Bitterness well balanced with everything else. Great beer, Damien. Perfect summer drinking. Thanks.

Cheers
Andrew.

Beer: 15. Syd_03- IRA
Date: 20th December 2009
Details: 750ml twist top, gold cap 15/IRA 5.8%-bottled 30/11/09-wyeast 1084
Sampling Notes:

Served chilled in pint mug

Thick creamy white head sits upon a bronzed body, hanging around for the entire glass and leaving dense lace.

Muted malt aroma doesnt give away all too much. Suggestion of caramel, sweet plum and breadiness in the background.

Full bodied, medium carbonation with quite a thick creamy texture.

Nice malty body; burnt toffee, nuttiness, dried fruits, herbaceous hops. Finishes quite sweet with a drying hop bitterness providing a decent balance.

Highly enjoyable and well-made ale. The sort of beer I could see myself drinking pint after pint of fresh from the cask. Great work Jason, cheers!

Beer: 15. Syd_03- IRA
Date: 20th December 2009
Details: 750ml twist top, gold cap 15/IRA 5.8%-bottled 30/11/09-wyeast 1084
Sampling Notes:

Thick creamy white head sits upon a bronzed body, hanging around for the entire glass and leaving dense lace.

Muted malt aroma doesnt give away all too much. Suggestion of caramel, sweet plum and breadiness in the background.

Full bodied, medium carbonation with quite a thick creamy texture.

Nice malty body; burnt toffee, nuttiness, dried fruits, herbaceous hops. Finishes quite sweet with a drying hop bitterness providing a decent balance.

Highly enjoyable and well-made ale. The sort of beer I could see myself drinking pint after pint of fresh from the cask. Great work Jason, cheers!

Cheers for the review Mike, I wasn't sure if it would be ready in the bottle yet (3 weeks), but sounds like it is. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks to Andrew (Gulpa) for inviting me to brew at his place and split the batch with him.

How do you think it compares to the kegged one?

Cheers
Jason.

How do you think it compares to the kegged one?

Cheers
Jason.
The carbonation was a bit different, more creamy and rounded, often the case with bottle conditioning.
The hop aroma was probably a bit less prominant in the bottled version, it also seemed a bit BIGGER than the beer I tried from the keg.
Either way, it was very nice. A keg of that wouldn't last long at my place! ;)

While i'm here...i'll have a beer...

Beer: nifty - Some Sort of Bitter
Date: 21st December 2009
Details: 750ml Coopers gold cap underlined 6 Wyeast 1469, 5.5%, Brewed 3/11/2009, Bottled 22/11/2009
Sampling Notes:

Persistent creamy white head sits atop a hazy sort of amber body.

Earthy/grassy/herby hop aroma, English style hops Id guess. Bit of biscuity malt underneath.

Quite lean bodied, low carbonation with a nice creamy mouthfeel thats always good.

Not overly complicated flavour, but nice and well balanced; earthy/wood hop spice, biscuity and grain bread malts, faint roasted undertones. Lingering grassiness on the finish, moderate-to-high bitterness, slight dry minerally aftertaste.

Another highly quaffable British style ale. Id have to say this is quite comparable to some of the cask ales youd find across Scotland, which I do enjoy. Cheers Nifty, really nice drop!

17. Davelovesbeer - Ale of some sort - about 4.5% (hydrometer broke when testing) - US05 - ready to drink -

Took to a mexican restauarnt last night. Was cloudy but assume fault to do with the transporting. Lovely drinking beer, went down a treat with the frijoles de questo or whatever the name of the stuff I ate. Nice beer Dave - thanks for the brew.

FGZ - did you go to Ian's place. Malibu Mex?

FGZ - did you go to Ian's place. Malibu Mex?

Yep, even have a daughter there working as a waitress. Usually get a No. 13 but decided against gluttony and ate less. Clearly you know the joint or the owner.

Yeah my FIL is a Tuross old hat and spent a good chunk of his youth down there (well split between Sydney and Tuross). He is pretty chummy with the owner. Top food in there, I'll be dining there next week.

Yeah my FIL is a Tuross old hat and spent a good chunk of his youth down there (well split between Sydney and Tuross). He is pretty chummy with the owner. Top food in there, I'll be dining there next week.

PM your FIL name and address and I'll see if I know him. I'm away to 30 Dec - if still around we'll try for that beer maybe. Eat no entree and try the No.13 - worth the effort.I reckon its good tucker but that's my opinion. If you hassle my daughter I'll break your legs!

Just finished Gulpa's Munich Dunkel. Very nice, thanks.

2. Bizier - Swapfen Weiss, ~6% 3068

Pours a murky amber colour. Phenolics from the yeast on the nose and a mango, bubble gum flavour. Picking up a little hop character too, but I can't put a finger on that. There's also a little alcohol, but at 6% you can get that in a wheat beer.

Pretty tasty on this hot Summer evening. Cheers.

1. Gulpa - Munich Dunkel, Wyeast 2633, 4.7%, Ready to drink

Beautiful looking beer Gulpa. Dark copper with a thick off white head. Smells great, bready, toffee sweetness and toasty. Nice and malty flavour up front, but finishes dry making me go back for more.

Top effort.

3. Thommo - Brown Porter, Ready to drink on Swap Day, WLP005

Thanks Thommo, I just finished your brown porter, nice drop.

cheers

nifty

19. Megs80- Pacific strong ale 6.6%, Drink 25th dec- 1st Jan (no later), WLP001 Cal ale baby!

Thought I should get into this one with such a short drinking window.

Pours cloudy gold with a tight white head. Really nice aroma is big hops, plenty of tropical fruits. Flavour is quite fruity with some resiny hops. Medium body. It starts a bit sweet but bitterness builds as you go on. Low carb. Malt is in the background. Its all about the hops. Really nice beer, Megs80. Needs a some more carb but thats only a minor issue. Thanks.

Also had a couple over the xmas drinking period that I dont have notes for. Sorry.

3. Thommo - Brown Porter, WLP005 - nice malty brown ale
10. MaestroMatt - APA - 4.7% - Wyeast 1272 - nice dry APA, could almost be lager. Nice summer drinking.

Cheers
Andrew.

2. Bizier - Swapfen Weiss, ~6% 3068

I just finished Bizier's beer. I had no idea what to expect but I must say I really enjoyed this one.

cheers

nifty

Been slack - devoured about 7 other beers but haven't posted tasting notes! Will do so over the coming days. Anyone else experiencing this?

Back