2009 Nsw Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaestroMatt

Reaction score
Let's get into it!

Start posting your comments regarding Xmas swap brews.

Constructive critisism only! :)..... except if it tastes like sh!t :).

MM

The list

1. Gulpa - Munich Dunkel, Wyeast 2633, 4.7%, Ready to drink
2. Bizier - Swapfen Weiss, ~6% 3068
3. Thommo - Brown Porter, Ready to drink on Swap Day, WLP005
4. barls - smoked schwartz.4.2% bottled 28/11/09 should be good to drink after the new year but will update later. the malt used was hand smoked by me
5. Pollux - Hopburst IPA, 5.74%, US-05. Only bottled last week, I'd save it for about mid Jan.
6. nifty - Some Sort of Bitter, Wyeast 1469, 5.5%, Brewed 3/11/2009, Bottled 22/11/2009
7. Retsamhsam - NZ/US Pale Ale, Nottingham Dried Yeast. 5%abv. Ready to Drink.
8. Fatgodzilla - Golden Ale .. ideal summer thirst quencher, mid strength english style bitter.S 04 Drink now
9. Gruntus - Blondie - 18A (Belgian Strong Ale - Belgian Blond Ale) - 7.6% - Brewed 12/9/2009 - Bottled 27/9/2009 - Drink Now
10. MaestroMatt - APA - 4.7% - Wyeast 1272 - Ready to drink
11. Troy Dack - An ale, that's about all I can say at the momen. Won't be ready until at least Christmas day, in fact, leave it until the 43rd beer of the night on NYE, guaranteed, then hopefully you won't be too disappointed
12. WeaselEstate - ESB / Strong Bitter. Bottled 3/12, ready to drink 17/12
13. Vitalstatistix - Loose Nut Brown Porter - ~5.2% ABV - Brewed 06/11/09 - give it as long as you can (at least 2 months)
14. Josh - Summer Ale - bottled 2/12/09 - drink from 16/12/09 - WLP029
15. Syd_03- IRA- 5.8%-bottled 30/11/09-wyeast 1084. Had a bottle 6/12 at ISB brewday and was tasting ok, if young after a week in the bottle, so that is a good sign. Give another 2-3 weeks so a few days either side of xmas won't hurt. Will crack the keg of it (my first beer in a keg)in another week and see how it is going.
16. Muggus - White Gold Bitter - 4.7% bottled 19th November 2009, WLP023. Drinkable now
17. Davelovesbeer - Ale of some sort - about 4.5% (hydrometer broke when testing) - US05 - ready to drink -
18. Hewy - Bo Pils - 4.6% ready to drink
19. Megs80- Pacific strong ale 6.6%, Drink 25th dec- 1st Jan (no later), WLP001 Cal ale baby!
20. mrs eyres - pale ale - 4.5% - US-05 - ready to drink
21. Dave - Belgian Summer Triple - 7%ish - WY1214 - RTD

Just in case anyone missed it in the other thread, get number 18 in the fridge NOW!! It is a potential bomb..

I had 10, 20 and I think 17 (lost bottle cap) on Monday afternoon. Unfortunately I was midway through a DOTW attempt when drinking these beers and didn't take notes, nor remember anything. I had to listen to the archive to see if I won or not!

Tonight I had 7. Retsamhsam - NZ/US Pale Ale, Nottingham Dried Yeast. 5%abv. Ready to Drink.
Unfortunately I get a lot of DMS in this one. I can see what you were trying to do Rets, but it was just a bit too corny for me. Finished it anyway.

I also had one of mine 14. Josh - Summer Ale - bottled 2/12/09 - drink from 16/12/09 - WLP029
I wouldn't put them in the fridge yet. And when you do, it might be worth letting it settle out for a couple of days before you drink. This sample was very cloudy, although I wasn't brewing to style, so who cares eh? ;) There's a certain twang I can't put my finger on. Anyone with experience using Simpsons Pale Malt recognise that? I enjoyed the beer, but it will be better in a week or two.

Tonight I had 7. Retsamhsam - NZ/US Pale Ale, Nottingham Dried Yeast. 5%abv. Ready to Drink.
Unfortunately I get a lot of DMS in this one. I can see what you were trying to do Rets, but it was just a bit too corny for me. Finished it anyway.

That's a shame.. I had a bottle of it this afternoon and didn't pick up on it, must be one of those flavours that I have a high threshold for as I can't say that I have tasted it ever.

Does DMS fade with age? I don't think it does.. I'm glad I can't taste it cause I still have a full keg and a few bottles of it hanging around.

Just opened up the now infamous number 18.....

As a style I'm not overly familiar with I can't make too much judgement.

Pale straw colour, quite high carbonation, it's almost insane to watch in the glass I can see how perhaps a fault in that bottle caused it to blow with the level of carbonation.

Thankfully mine was perfectly carbonated.

Bit of chill haze which dissipated to reveal a bright lager. Creamy white head. Sweet malt, little hop aroma. Clean lager with light hop flavour and a firm bitterness.

I probably prefer a bit more rich malt in my Bo Pils. But that is personal preference. Definitely a well made beer.

Well done Hewy.

Had Hewy's beer, no where close to a bottle bomb for me. Not even over carbed. Was spot on. Good firm bitterness Hewy, enjoyed it. What yeast did you use?

Drinking FGZ's beer as I type. (Left work at lunch to go "Xmas Shopping". Good excuse, anyway. Nice summer drop as per description in Wiki, although a tad too undercarbed for my mind, would be good through a beer engine.

Cheers boys. One more beer and I'm pretty sure I won't be going to boot camp tonight.

Thommo.

Thankfully mine was perfectly carbonated.

Bit of chill haze which dissipated to reveal a bright lager. Creamy white head. Sweet malt, little hop aroma. Clean lager with light hop flavour and a firm bitterness.

I probably prefer a bit more rich malt in my Bo Pils. But that is personal preference. Definitely a well made beer.

Well done Hewy.

Yes, just polished off Hewy's effort - no bottle bomb. Perfect carbonation, a fine drink. Happy to have made that myself ! Thansk Hewy !

Thommo Posted Today, 03:00 PM
Drinking FGZ's beer as I type. Nice summer drop as per description in Wiki, although a tad too undercarbed for my mind, would be good through a beer engine.

Put a beer engine in a bloke's garage for 4 hours and now he's a bloody expert on them !

:icon_cheers:

Had Hewy's beer, no where close to a bottle bomb for me. Not even over carbed. Was spot on. Good firm bitterness Hewy, enjoyed it. What yeast did you use?
Thommo.

Twas the wyeast 2000 budvar lager strain. First time using it and I dont think I would use it again to be honest. Much prefer the urquell strain...

Glad there hasnt been any additional 'explosions'... seems pollux got an overcarbed bottle, not sure how that happens since they all came from the same kegs...

Cheers
Hewy

Twas the wyeast 2000 budvar lager strain. First time using it and I dont think I would use it again to be honest. Much prefer the urquell strain...

Glad there hasnt been any additional 'explosions'... seems pollux got an overcarbed bottle, not sure how that happens since they all came from the same kegs...

Cheers
Hewy

Yep, number 18 was a good way to start the xmas case.

Top drop, thanks Hewy.

mmmm, maybe it was overcarbed, or maybe it was simply carbed to a level that I as a usual ale drinker am not used to.....

It was seriously intense to watch though...

I drank this too. You are obviously a competent brewer because my overall perception was that it was clean, dry and refreshingly bitter. But that said, there was also what I took to be acetylaldehyde, possibly exacerbated by being driven off by the HUGE carbonation. I spent a good while swirling this thing to stop it being a straight mouthfull of prickles. I agree that the malt character, while it was there, was a tad bland. FWIW my girlfriend quite liked it too.

...Monday afternoon. Unfortunately I was midway through a DOTW attempt when drinking these beers and didn't take notes, nor remember anything. I had to listen to the archive to see if I won or not!k or two.

You are an arsehole Josh, stop rubbing it in. :p

ED: were you being your trademarked belligerent Aussie caller?

18. Hewy - Bo Pils - 4.6%

Thought I would start with this one as seemed the thing to do.

Bright pale gold. Big fluffy head that kept growing. High carb. Nice pilsner aroma. Clean. Firm bitterness gives it a nice long finish. Agree with others, nice beer, just lacks a bit of that malty complexity for me. Thanks for sharing, Hewy.

9. Gruntus - Blondie - 18A (Belgian Strong Ale - Belgian Blond Ale) - 7.6%

Dark gold/light copper colour with a nice tight head. Light phenyl belgian aroma with a bit of malt there too. Flavour is malty, some spicyness with the phenyls almost minerally. Carb is appropriate. Toffee sweetness starts to come up when it warms. Hides the alcohol well. Nice beer. Thanks Grant.

Off to a good start.

cheers
Andrew

18. Hewy - Bo Pils - 4.6%

Thought I would start with this one as seemed the thing to do.

Bright pale gold. Big fluffy head that kept growing. High carb. Nice pilsner aroma. Clean. Firm bitterness gives it a nice long finish. Agree with others, nice beer, just lacks a bit of that malty complexity for me. Thanks for sharing, Hewy.

9. Gruntus - Blondie - 18A (Belgian Strong Ale - Belgian Blond Ale) - 7.6%

Dark gold/light copper colour with a nice tight head. Light phenyl belgian aroma with a bit of malt there too. Flavour is malty, some spicyness with the phenyls almost minerally. Carb is appropriate. Toffee sweetness starts to come up when it warms. Hides the alcohol well. Nice beer. Thanks Grant.

Off to a good start.

cheers
Andrew

Thanks for the review Andrew.....glad you enjoyed it.

Big Pfffttt on opening. Pale golden in colour, crystal clear, with a big white fluffy head. Slightly over carbed but still pours and drinks OK. Well balanced beer, bitterness and malt suit the style....also getting some fruitiness from the yeast (which is what I enjoy). Enjoyed drinking this one....well done Hewy.

20. mrs eyres - pale ale - 4.5% - US-05

Felt hot so a pale ale was in order.

Pours nice clear light copper colour. Nice head that falls down but persists. Nice citrusy US hop aroma with a bit of caramel malt. Medium body. Good carb. Flavour is spicy hops, with some fruit with a malt background. Bitterness suits. Great balance. Very nice APA, just what I felt like drinking. Thanks mrs eyres.

Cheers
Andrew.

20. mrs eyres - pale ale - 4.5% - US-05

Felt hot so a pale ale was in order.

Pours nice clear light copper colour. Nice head that falls down but persists. Nice citrusy US hop aroma with a bit of caramel malt. Medium body. Good carb. Flavour is spicy hops, with some fruit with a malt background. Bitterness suits. Great balance. Very nice APA, just what I felt like drinking. Thanks mrs eyres.

Cheers
Andrew.

Thanks Andrew, glad you enjoyed it. :)

This beer has been in the bottle 6 weeks so is probably best to drink sooner rather than later as the hop flavour will drop off. I will update the wiki.

Though i'd follow the pack like the sheep I am...

Beer: 18. Hewy - Bo Pils
Date: 13th December 2009
Details: 750ml twist top bottle, gold cap 18 4.6%
Sampling Notes:
Served chilled in a schooner

Golden body with lively beading and slight haze, short-lived white head.

Restrained aroma. Some sweet pale and honey malt aromas, hint of floral hop.

Medium bodied, quite lively carbonation, texture seems a bit flabby, but that might just be me.

Standout malt flavours, nice bit of honey sweetness. Finishes with a decent hop bitterness, moderately dry, slight lingering bready note.

Simple and inoffensive sort of lager. Didnt have any carbonation problems, my only complaint is I couldnt really detect all that much in the way of hop flavour or aroma, but that might just be me. Thanks for sharing Hewy!

Latest posts

Back