2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh this sounds fun!

Have just done my first AG so it would be good to see how mine stack up once I've got a few more under my belt.

Hehe - sounds sinister. I'm willing to be corrupted by good beers though.

I might give making a cider a go. Always a good alternative come summer, and they seem a lot easier than all grain. Does anyone with a car live out my way or near a train station? I'd be happy to put money / alcohol / or food preparation towards petrol.

I can pick some people up from the Gawler Central Train Station if it helps.

Also happy for those that aren't AG ready to come up and we can brew AG on my gear in Lyndoch....

Wot about Ross's Summer Ale .. that used to be the darling of AHB until DrSmurto pushed it off its perch.

I did no such thing, i didnt vote for it 14 times...... :rolleyes:

And since i will more than likely have it on tap i would 'prefer' that people make something else.

IMO, the swap is about learning more about beer, trying new styles.

As for Ross' Summer Ale, i am brewing this next! :D (and i use the grain bill the same way Ross does, testing out single hops)

yeah, i'm really not sure what i'll bring. i'm thinking APA's are going to be a bit overdone in the 'summer styles' so i'm thinking something English but not too heavy... hmm

I think I might make a breakfast stout... enough for you guys and the Queenslanders. Porridge and coffee! :)

Stouts are heaps popular in Summer, right?

Well, if you don't have to brew any beer to go to the swap! :) then count me in...

I don't have any brew set up yet - I get three weeks off in November and that is when I will be getting everything together to brew! - so not enough time to make a brew for this swap - will do next year.

But count me in for the event - would like to have a chat about it all and see if home brew really can taste just as good if not better than store bought beer - or if it just a big bunch of internet lies! ;) haha

Looking forward to it!

As long you can get it into bottles before the swap you can put a "best after" date for 2009.

And DrSmurto, I merely meant your brilliance in recipe design had pushed RSA off its glorious perch.

Can someone please put a new shortcut for the wiki up i still cant get into it. Cheers

The Wiki can be found under the 'Articles' tab, at the top of this site.

Is there any chance we can start to fill in what beers people will make.

I have 2 recipes so far I am looking at - both wits.
- appricot Wit
- Black Wit

Will be happy to put a stuby in of each or long neck of whichever one you all vote for.

Undoubtedly something English from myself, definately <5% and most likely <4%....
Probably either a Mild, or a Best Bitter.

Oh, and a nice big bottle of 100% extract brew for Wayne, courtesy of Mr Thomas Cooper. :p

Added a new list to the wiki - those who are crashing the night.

Managed to get rid of a heap of furniture from my shed so will have plenty of floor space there for swags.

Can you add your name so that i can cater for those who might be able to stomach a fry up the morning after.......

Dumb arse questions from a cased swap virgin, do you have to label the bottles and is there a labelling standard?

Dumb arse questions from a cased swap virgin, do you have to label the bottles and is there a labelling standard?

Dear Virgin,

labelling the bottle with what is in it would be a good idea :super: As for label standard, as long as it is readable :rolleyes:

BYB

i'm putting on my pilsner tonight :eek: - so i probably wont be able to naturally prime it, unless i put a best after date on it. would people prefer being able to re-culture WY2124 or drinking it straight away?

but yeah attempting my first decoction - 2-step:

* Strike temperature of 53C, stir well and rest for 20'
* Stir and take 1/3 of the mash. (If you use a large proportion of unmalted grains you can take less of the mash and add water and dry crushed grains to make up 1/3 of the total volume). Heat to 72C, rest for 20' (malt) to 40' (malt+grains).
* Bring to boil and boil for 15-30'
* Add back to reach a temperature of 65-67C, rest 15-35'
* Take 1/4 of the mash, boil for 15-30'
* Add back to reach a temperature of 70-73C, rest until saccharification is complete (30'-1h).
* No mash-out, start sparge immediately.

should be fun :D - if it fcuks up, i'm currently drinking a heffweizen which rocks - so i'll have a plan B to brew.

So the 13th of December is it then.

Locked and loaded.

Better pull my finger out and get a brew on.

I do have a full keg of Alt that came 2nd in SABSOSA as a backup.

And my double decocted Munich Dunkel that has been lagering away for a month now.

But i WILL brew a Landlord to share the 1469 yeast with people. And i will be brewing BenHs Sauce Wench Lager from last years case swap to have on tap.

I also plan on taking some cuttings of my hops and putting them in pots for those who didnt want to pay $100 a rhizome. Cant promise i am as green thumbed as Wally last year but a free hop is a free hop?

The Countdown has started! 71 days to go.....

Latest posts

Back